IP address suddenly not registering on any of my computers(Windows or Mac)

clive...@btinternet.com

Apr 28, 2021, 11:42:13 AM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
ie.unable to locate Brennan B2 on the internet anymore

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 1:23:50 PM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Look at the IP no on the front screen, it may have changed with a reboot if yur router is not set to assign it a fixed IP.
Fred

clive...@btinternet.com

Apr 28, 2021, 2:17:17 PM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
thanks, how do you set your router to assign a fixed IP

Mark Fishman

Apr 28, 2021, 5:48:50 PM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
That varies with the router make and model. If you can identify yours, the manual and/or "how-to" documents are usually on the Internet.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2021, 6:20:05 PM4/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Clive

Not sure how IT literate you are, so here is some background
Most modern Routers are best thought of as little, dedicated purpose, computers.
They are controlled by an "app" and or a web page with THEY generate (rather like the B2's UI).
On the Router will be printed its SSID (what it says it is when you want to connect to it via WiFi) and its WiFi password.
Also printed on it will be its (own) IP number and an "Admin" password.
If you enter that IP number into the browser of your computer (like you do for the B2's UI web page) you will access the control pages for your Router. You will be prompted to enter your Admin password to get in.
One of the functions of the Router is to provide unique IP addresses (numbers probable in the range - 192.168.xxx.yyy - where xxx and yyy will vary), via a standard called DHCP, to devices that want to connect to it.
The DHCP standard does not guarantee the same number is given to a connected device each time a connection is requested. HOWEVER it does provide for the "fixing" of a specific IP number to a specific device under user control.
This is what you need to achieve.
You need to let the router assign an IP number to your B2, then go into its admin pages and identify the connected B2 and tell it to always assign that IP number to the B2 in future.

The controls for achieving this differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.  If you can tell us what make/model router you have we may be able to point you at the correct controls (if we can find an on-line manual) - no promises though!

Hope this helps

Fred.

Mick Carter

Apr 30, 2021, 11:00:36 PM4/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I can no longer see my B2 from my Windows PC despite both being hard wired to the router.  I did have the B2 set up as NAS and it was working OK, but since a recent Windows update I can't see the B2 on the network.  I tried to find information from Microsoft without much success.   My router is an ASUS  RT-AC68U but I find the settings a bit daunting. Can you assist please?

clive...@btinternet.com

May 1, 2021, 4:07:09 AM5/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for this info. further information I took the IP Number from the screen of the Brennan in this case 192.168.1.73 & managed to get  Brennan working on my Windows 10 desktop, but entering
the same information on several Mac based I pads it will not work on any of them. My Router is BT hub 6-WCZ5
                                                                                        Clive

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 1, 2021, 6:48:12 AM5/1/21
to Brennan Forum
First lets fix your IP no.
Get the current number form the front of the B2 and have it to hand
then do this
a.JPG

Then the static IP can be set up here

a.JPG
You should be able to enter the IP No where the IP Address is ringed (and the blue box should fill automatically).
Then click apply and your B2 should now have the FIXED IP number you set up.

The NAS disappearing after a Windows Update is a separate and DIFFERENT issue. Look here in the forum

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 1, 2021, 6:52:35 AM5/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Clive

I can not find a manual for your Router, so can do little to guide you as to how to set up a Static IP number for your B2 on your BT router.
I can assure you that iPads do work with a B2 you enter the IP Number (make sure that this is the number currently displayed on the front of the B2's screen) into the "safari" app.

Fred

clive...@btinternet.com

May 3, 2021, 7:21:52 AM5/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Copied  IP address from Brennan to Windows desktop, works fine, cannot make it work on any of the Macs.
Had been working on all machines previously.
                                                                       Clive

Mark Fishman

May 3, 2021, 7:35:09 AM5/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Not even in a web browser after you clear the cache?

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 3, 2021, 7:37:01 AM5/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Clive,

I know it is frustrating, but the fact that your Windows IP is working indicates that there is nothing wrong with your Brennan. The problem is with your Macs, I am sure that they were working previously OK, but I suspect Apple
have "updated" something.
One thing you could try (I assume it is "Safari" that you are using on them) is try clearing  its cache and see if that helps
Fred

PMB

May 4, 2021, 7:24:43 AM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Clive,

My go to fix for iPads (and iPhones) is to power them off and then on again - this usually get's the web UI working on them.

If not try - close the current browser page >> go to Settings for Safari >> select Clear browsing data/history >> open a new Safari page >> enter the IP from the B2 in manually (rather than using a bookmark).

Paul
Brennan Support.

clive...@btinternet.com

May 4, 2021, 3:54:04 PM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Have tried both of these on Safari & get the message Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding

Graham Smout

May 4, 2021, 6:10:32 PM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Are your ipads actually connected by wifi to  your router or do they have builtin SIM cards and  use mobile data? If the later then then you'll need to use your home wifi local newokr to access the B2 via the iPad browser.
Worth checking I suppose!
Alternatively your iPads might be using a wifi hot spot that isn't  your local network

Mark Fishman

May 4, 2021, 6:47:34 PM5/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Please read the related thread at https://groups.google.com/g/brennanb2/c/aD52NYcfxNY/m/NO2SLGJ6AAAJ
Apparently BT hubs may share in the issue described, where devices connected using the two frequency ranges available can not talk with each other...

clive...@btinternet.com

May 5, 2021, 6:14:51 AM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Mark that sound as though it is the problem, but why did that issue suddenly occur after everything working fine over a long  period of time & who is responsible for putting it right.BT,Apple.Me

Mark Fishman

May 5, 2021, 6:59:35 AM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Jamie (in the other thread) pointed out that the firmware update to the hub was pushed in earlyApril so that would be when/why it broke. Ultimately it's BT's responsibility for un-breaking it; meanwhile, you have to live with it, so turning off the 5GHz band in the router, or giving it a different SSID (and password?) so things don't randomly flop back and forth between bands might be a decent workaround.

Graham Smout

May 5, 2021, 9:34:21 AM5/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all - I don't think this kind of issue is just limited to the BT twin band hub/ router mentioned above  . There are other routers with similar problems out there. ( I have a Plus Net badged one that displays similar issues in that sometime different devices on the same WiFI Network fail to talk to each other, having been conencted on different boradcast bands. Including the B2 - which as so far not given me a massive problem, I have found Chromecasts, firesticks and various consoles can have problems beign controlled via apps on iPads and iPhones . Now I can the reason why.

These BT and Plus Net  routers  are cheap mass produced devices and I imagine the software operating system  isn't given that much thought with regard to mutiple devices talking to each other over a domestic LAN . We could all save ourselves a bit oif bother by spending a few pounds more on a decent router in the first place instead of putting up with poor quality connectivity and Wi FI
Regards

PMB

May 6, 2021, 4:56:00 AM5/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Peter, with a similar issue (on another thread) has contacted BT and they say they are working on a fix that should be available in 7 to 10 days. So look out for a software update (or it may happen automatically)

Paul
Brennan Support.

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 6, 2021, 8:04:32 PM5/6/21