Scan Disk

Les Stanley

Apr 1, 2022, 8:57:25 PM4/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Here's an easy one. Is the scan disk the B2 does on startup the same function as the scan disk you can do by selecting scan disk from the menu?
I ask because the start up one seems to be much quicker.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2022, 3:57:55 AM4/2/22
to Brennan Forum
No it is not!

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2022, 4:02:35 AM4/2/22
to Brennan Forum
I believe it is looking for disks and potentially a USB attached disk (where it would analyse the contents to display in the menus) checking the integity of the disks and reading the file that  Scan Disk makes (again to populate the interfaces).
Fred

Peter Lowham

Apr 2, 2022, 4:13:00 AM4/2/22
to Brennan Forum
The B2 does not run 'Scan Disk' on the internal HDD during startup.  What it does do at this time is that it reads the 'b2db' database management file from the HDD into main memory so that it can very fast artist, album and track lookup functions.

I sometimes use this process to load up another user's 'b2db' file into one of my B2s so that I can diagnose a problem.  With a foreign 'b2db' file loaded up, my B2 will then behave exactly like the user's B2, except of course that it cannot play the actual music tracks.  But it will perform almost all other functions.

Regards,
Peter.

Les Stanley

Apr 2, 2022, 6:09:09 AM4/2/22
to Brennan Forum
I see, thanks. Another B2 mystery solved.