Compressing mp3s

Andy Brierley

Feb 23, 2022, 5:21:57 PM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
Good evening,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I appear to have at least one corrupt file which, when compressing to mirrored mp3s, forces my B2 to drop out of compressing with 58 files to go (starting at 4500+).

I have NAS turned on and can see my albums and Flac files on my Mac. Is there anyway I can see the mirrored mp3s to try and work out where the problem is?

Many thanks

Andy

Daniel Taylor

Feb 23, 2022, 8:09:58 PM2/23/22
to Brennan Forum
I think the "mirror" sub-folders should be visible within the Album folders.

If you open the Debug window in the WebUI and watch while the B2 is compressing - you have to force compression - it should have a line of text identifying the file getting processed.  To open the Debug window, click/tap on the wrench/spanner button at the bottom of the Status window.  To force compression to start, even though not yet in Standby, use the Compress Now command in the Settings menu.

PMB

Feb 24, 2022, 6:01:49 AM2/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

The 'mirror' folders are stored with the Tracks within the Album folders.

The debug monitor may show you where the B2 is stalling.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Feb 24, 2022, 6:15:07 AM2/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

 Your Mac automatically hides the '.mirror' folders.

To display '.mirror' folders (and files) in a Mac, run the following steps.

1.  Open up 'Terminal' application (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal
2.  At the '>' prompt in Terminal type in 'defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES' (without the quotes).  Be careful with upper and lower case, use the exact string shown here.
3.  Reboot the Mac.
4.  You should now see all hidden folders.

To reverse this use 'defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO'

Here are the command line strings as shown above which you can cut and paste into Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Regards,
Peter.

Andy Brierley

Feb 24, 2022, 7:48:12 AM2/24/22
to Brennan Forum
PBM and Peter, and Paul who has vanished - thank you so much, all advice has worked, I can see the mirrored files and Debug showed this..

Posted writeDB complete

getNumberOfWavs tracks = 4438

compressionCode () started: filesToCompress 58

mirrorCompressTrack () got a flac trackname 01 Little Fluffy Clouds.flac

Result 256 No such file or directory

mirrorCompressTrack () got a flac trackname 03 Lazy.flac

compressionCode () done

########## flushSettings

...now 01 Little Fluffy Clouds.flac does exist and plays without problem, the only thing in the mirror file folder for the album is...

temp.mp3

...it's the same issue with 03 Lazy.flac, which is on a different CD but in the same three CD boxed set.

is the solution to delete the boxed set and re-rip (bugger, it's in the loft) if it is the solution, any ideas what's going wrong?

Thanks for your amazing help,

Andy

PMB

Feb 25, 2022, 5:29:02 AM2/25/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

Have you moved and/or renamed anything on the B2, as it appears that the mirror process cannot find that Track?

Run Scan Disk - Settings menu and then try Compress Now again.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Andy Brierley

Feb 26, 2022, 12:30:27 PM2/26/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul, I hadn’t, and had run Scan a few times, but have tried again with the same result. All part of its charm I guess :)

PMB

Feb 28, 2022, 6:35:04 AM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

It might be worth a try - deleting the Album and ripping it again.

Fred suggests letting the B2 compress to FLAC first and then run FLAC+MP3.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Andy Brierley

Feb 28, 2022, 3:57:47 PM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum

Thank you Paul, I’m not too worried, it was more about finding out if there was a fault or if it was user error. Next time I’m brave enough to face the loft, where my cds now live, I’ll give it a go and let you know. Thank you for all your patient help.