Line out no signal

Richard McKnight

Dec 27, 2018, 6:25:53 PM12/27/18
to Brennan Forum
Line out no signal
Could not figure out why my B2 would not play through my Denon receiver. Bad cable? No tested cable by plugging it into a cell phone and it played fine. Finally hooked it up via bluetooth and output was fine. Suggestions?

Daniel Taylor

Dec 27, 2018, 8:44:00 PM12/27/18
to Brennan Forum
The first thing to check is the volume setting.  Brennan recommends it be set to around 60, which is just short of maximum.  Then you can use the volume control on your receiver to adjust as needed.

If that's not the problem,I've heard it suggested that to test the analog Line Out you should plug in some headphones and see if there is any sound.  Be sure and have the B2 volume adjusted appropriately so as not to blow your head off.

Have you connected and enabled the HDMI output at all?  My B2 is in pieces at the moment or else I'd check, but I'm wondering if the Line Out is disabled when the HDMI output is enabled.  Or I could just be imagining things.

Richard McKnight

Dec 28, 2018, 6:15:44 PM12/28/18
to Brennan Forum
I don't think my B2 has an HDMI port

Edwyn Corteen

Dec 29, 2018, 6:34:01 AM12/29/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard

Your B2 does have an HDMI port, see the diagram on this page https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/basics. you can also check that you have selected the line out socket rather than the line in. With nothing plugged in with the B2 switched on,  you will see a light in the line out socket (for the optical connection) but a standard audio connection will also work. This is an output not affected by the volume control it is designed for an amplifier with a standard line in connection.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 29, 2018, 8:23:38 AM12/29/18
to Brennan Forum
> "a standard audio connection will also work. This is an output not affected by the volume control it is designed for an amplifier with a standard line in connection."
Edwyn, if you're referring to the analog Line Out, then the volume control does affect that output.  If that output is used to feed an external audio system, Brennan recommends turning the volume up to 60.  It is the digital outputs that are not affected by the volume control.

If "Audio on HDMI (TV)" is enabled from the WebUI, it will mute the analog Line Output.  With newer versions of software that have that feature, I suspect that analog Line Out would be muted even on older units that might not have an HDMI output.  When that box is unchecked, analog Line Out will be active again.

Richard, did you check for sound on the Line Output if you plug headphones into it?

Another thing to check would be how the Denon receiver is setup for the input on the selected source channel.  Many modern receivers have a way to select among different inputs for a selected source.

Richard McKnight

Dec 30, 2018, 7:54:59 PM12/30/18
to Brennan Forum
HDMI was checked. Thanks much for the help