File saving on B2

RogerC

Oct 16, 2021, 5:59:58 AM10/16/21
to Brennan Forum
If I record a vinyl album as a WAV file, and transfer it to the B2, is it then saved as a compressed FLAC file to save space and remain high quality?
Thanks

Jeff. M.

Oct 16, 2021, 6:06:54 AM10/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I've recorded all my vinyl to Audacity as flac files, and then uploaded them to my B2 via NAS.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 16, 2021, 6:59:35 AM10/16/21
to Brennan Forum
If you copy the recorded WAV file to the B2, and if you have the compression set to FLAC, then it will be compressed to FLAC.

Peter Lowham

Oct 16, 2021, 1:27:35 PM10/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Roger,

To answer your question directly, saving to 'flac' will maintain the 'wav' quality.  This is because 'flac' is a lossless compression i.e. if you converted the 'flac' file back to 'wav' no content is lost and the new 'wav' file will have the same quality and quality as the original 'wav' file.

Regards,
Peter.