Downloaded file from Bandcamp but won't load to B@

nihili...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 2:29:02 PM2/13/21
to Brennan Forum
I have a PC and I downloaded a file in WAV and also FLAC.  I open the B2 and the music file and send to Brennan and the waiting wheel spins endlessly.  Any remedy?

Mike W

Feb 13, 2021, 2:38:54 PM2/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Just for clarity, did you upload the file from your pc to the B2 music folder? An existing artist/album? And then a scan disc?  And does the track appear as it should do in the album list?

Mike

nihili...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2021, 4:24:43 PM2/13/21
to Brennan Forum
I uploaded the file from pc and then to B2 the music folder, typed in the name of band and lp, then pressed send to Brennan.  The waiting wheel has spun for two hours.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 13, 2021, 6:05:35 PM2/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Speaking at least for myself, it's not clear what you actually did.  Did you copy the file directly to the B2's hard disk as viewed by NAS?  Did you use the Upload facility in the WebUI?

In either case, it is likely that your WiFi signal strength may be playing a part in why the wheel continues to spin for so long.
Check your WiFi signal strength using Settings > Maintenance > WiFi Strength.  (I got that from the Brennan website on the Menu page.)
Your signal strength should be at least -50 (-40 being better, -60 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
You can buy a new WiFi dongle that has an antenna.  Look for one that has the RT5370 chipset.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router (and remove the WiFi dongle).

Another factor that might be playing a part is the folder structure you created for your file.  It seems odd (to me) that you're just uploading the one file.  I've never used the WebUI to Upload anything.  Will it do just a single file, or does it need to receive an album folder, even if that album has only one file?

Have you tried copying the file - in the proper Artist / Album / track(s) format - to a USB stick and Importing it?  That might be the simplest thing to do at this point.

Les Stanley

Feb 13, 2021, 6:30:53 PM2/13/21
to Brennan Forum
In my experience, this is due to a slower wifi speed than the B2 likes. I've found this feature seldom works for files of any size and have only ever been successful with smaller MP3 files. Anything else I copy to a USB and load manually, much quicker.
It'd be good if the B2 showed an upload status as well and not just a spinning wheel.

Mark Fishman

Feb 14, 2021, 4:04:07 PM2/14/21
to Brennan Forum
What is this "spinning" or "waiting" wheel people are referring to? I use the upload function in the web UI regularly, and I don't think I've seen any such thing.

Open Web UI, click on "upload" in the lower left, if this is a single track instead of a directory tree, choose file upload, put in artist and album name, click choose file, find the file in the offered dialogue window and choose it, then click send to Brennan. Mine just works. I've uploaded half-hour-long FLAC files this way without trouble. And it does show upload status, of a sort: it shows a percentage count as it uploads the file.

And yes my B2 uses wifi, not a wired Ethernet connection.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 14, 2021, 4:14:04 PM2/14/21
to Brennan Forum
AFAIK, we still have not established which method of file transfer is in question.

PMB

Feb 15, 2021, 5:03:27 AM2/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi nihili...

Does the track play OK on your computer?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ted Stanion

Feb 21, 2021, 10:56:18 PM2/21/21
to Brennan Forum
If you are using the "Upload' function in the Web UI, I had a similar problem with Bandcamp files. The solution is to rename the flac files to look the way the Brennan software expects. For example, my Bandcamp files were named like this:

"Tim Eriksen - Josh Billings Voyage or, Cosmopolite on the Cotton Road - 01 Every Day Is Three.flac"

I renamed them to look like this:

"01 Every Day Is Three.flac"

I then made sure I had a directory structure that looked like this:

.../music/Tim Eriksen/Josh Billings Voyage or, Cosmopolite on the Cotton Road/01 Every Day Is Three.flac

and the upload worked fine.

Ted