BB1 moving between different wifi routers.

Jon Brooke

Aug 23, 2021, 6:26:52 PM8/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Do I have to go through the tedious process of entering the wifi password each time I move between home and work wifi and want to access the BB1 from my browser?

Peter Lowham

Aug 23, 2021, 6:41:19 PM8/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jon,

No, you won't have to do that.  The Brennan units (B2 & BB1) will store each Wifi SSID and password as it finds them. So the password entry is a once only event.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Aug 24, 2021, 4:01:39 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jon.bro,

There is a 'Switch WiFi' option in the Maintenance menu.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jon Brooke

Aug 24, 2021, 5:08:28 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul.

I had imagined that the device would either do it on auto (like my phone) or not at all.

I hadn't considered a manual option.

Jon Brooke

Aug 24, 2021, 5:41:50 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
There isn't a "Switch WiFi" option.

I think I've just looked through every option in the menu and I can't see it (or anything similar).

Jon

Peter Lowham

Aug 24, 2021, 8:26:32 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jon,

I think that Paul intended to say 'Setup WiFi' which is in the 'Settings & Tools' menu.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 24, 2021, 9:43:39 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
On the Menu page on the Brennan website, I see the Switch WiFi command described under the Maintenance section.  I turned on my B2 and went to Settings > Maintenance > Switch WiFi.  I'm running B2B Jan 26 2021 software.  So the command has been there.  If it's not there in the most recent software, it could be a bug.  Or, if the command has been removed, then they should remove it from the documentation, and not recommend using a non-existent command.
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Aug 24, 2021, 10:00:32 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

The 'Switch WiFi' option is available on the B2.  Jon is using a BB1 and this optiondoes not exist.  The BB1's nearest equivalent is 'Setup WiFi' which should do the job.

I have travelled widely with the BB1 and it remembers the passwords (it logs them in the Linux level '/media/sd3/b2settings' file.

Regards,
Peter.
On Tuesday, 24 August 2021 at 14:45:46 UTC+1 Daniel Taylor wrote:
You must turn the knob slowly.  It's easy to skip over a command if you turn the knob too quickly.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 24, 2021, 10:07:20 AM8/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Ah, yes.  My mistake.  Now I see the "BB1" promenently in the thread's title.  Apologies.

PMB

Aug 25, 2021, 3:38:15 AM8/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jon,

Sorry I hadn't read BB1 either - there is no Switch WiFi on the BB1. If you run Setup WiFi and select the WiFi you want to connect to, the password will already saved so just press NEXT to connect.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jon Brooke

Aug 26, 2021, 9:15:25 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Peter "Setup WiFi" doesn't seem to do the job for me.

Under that option I am asked to enter the password each time I move network.

In my case that's a 16 digit number. Using the rotating knob on the BB1 to do that is a right pain.

Maybe the unit does remember them, but it doesn't apply them?!

Jon

Jon Brooke

Aug 26, 2021, 9:18:12 AM8/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Ah! just read the next post.

I'll try pressing "next" then.

It might be a good idea to mention this procedure in the documentation as there is no clue that that is what you need to do unless you ask on this forum!

The machine just invites you to enter a password. It doesn't autofill.

Jon