Transferring Vinyl collection to B2

Brian McHugh

Jul 7, 2019, 1:45:27 PM7/7/19
to Brennan Forum
I have read the brief description of the process given on the website, which recommends Audacity for splitting recordings into tracks and other clean-up functions that may be deemed necessary.   My initial impression from looking at Audacity is that it is probably very capable software but it looks very complicated to use.

I would like to transfer my collection of vinyl albums to the B2 while I still have a fully functional turntable, in order to make future access much simpler.  All I anticipate doing to the resulting recordings would be to split them into discrete tracks so that they can be fully indexed and (probably) clean up any gaps between tracks to eliminate any crackling etc, where it would be particularly noticeable.

Can anyone recommend a very basic guide to the process that I could consult so that I don't have to start from no knowledge of Audacity?   Also, the website mentions that recordings  are made to an SD card temporarily during the recording process and that these are written to the HDD when the B2 is rebooted. Is this true of HDD models as well as the SD  card version?

I would expect to make the recordings to the B2, then using the NAS mode, to rename these as appropriate so that they may be correctly indexed when the B2 is reindexed. Any advice / suggestions about this?  I anticipate this being a job for the long winter evenings!

Many thanks.

RaymondO

Jul 7, 2019, 3:37:33 PM7/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Believe it or not, Audacity just works even if you never use 95% of the functionality. Also the documentation is excellent. I just started with a 45rpm single and played around until I got the results `I wanted, then progressed to L`P’s where I learned about splitting the tracks and letting it do them instead. It is important to correctly tag and name the files before you forget what they are! You can then add ID3 tags and album art as required.

Daniel Taylor

Jul 7, 2019, 5:47:57 PM7/7/19
to Brennan Forum
I agree with Raymond.  I had been meaning to try Audacity for years, but I think I was a bit intimidated.  When I finally tried it, it wasn't hard to figure out.  It has way more capability than I will probably ever use. But it does what I want, and does it very well.

My personal opinion:  Do not record your records on the B2 - it's just too much trouble.  Do it on your computer.  I think Audacity can record too.

No matter whether you record on the B2 or on your computer, you will need a phono preamplifier which will provide RIAA equalization and will boost the turntable output to the proper level for recording.  Some recent turntables have a built-in preamp.  But most older ones do not.

john gregson

Jul 7, 2019, 7:52:06 PM7/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Don't be put off by all the functions available in audacity. I'm as thick as a thick thing on a bad day when it comes to techy stuff but I have been using Audacity for years. I use an old (about 15 - 20 years old) laptop, connected permanently to the a spare auxiliary output on my amp (which has a built in pre-amp, which is essential), and have digitised hundreds of LPs and singles. The only function you absolutely need is the click remover. If that doesn't remove a click automatically (after you have set your own parameters - just experiment), you can remove it manually by highlighting the offending blighter. It won't take long to learn which clicks can be removed easily (static and/or dust) or those that need a bit more work (scratches). Experience will help you pick it out, and then augment the wave pattern on screen and simply highlight it to delete it. If you make a mistake you can reverse it or in the worst case re-record it.
I tend not to use the auto splitting which can be fooled by quiet passages, but it is very easy to save a section in whatever format you want. Admittedly, it can be time consuming, but what I usually do is save the entire LP as a WAV file on an external hard disc (which is kept as a back-up) and then break it down to tracks in FLAC to transfer to my B2.
Give it a go - especially as it's free!

Brian McHugh

Jul 23, 2019, 3:59:23 AM7/23/19
to Brennan Forum
I had originally thought about using the computer - but I reckon the DAC in the B2 would be much better - unless I used an expensive additional sound card.

Tony Johnston

Jul 23, 2019, 5:08:54 AM7/23/19
to Brennan Forum
I've got an extensive vinyl collection and still adding when I can. I've used Audacity for a number of years. My deck is a 40+ year old Pioneer PL115D connected to a pre amp and through to my PC. Works perfectly. The process is in real time so it's a bit of a "labour of love" but definitely worth all the time and effort.

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 23, 2019, 5:40:53 AM7/23/19
to Brennan Forum
I digitised my entire vinyl collection using the B2 with audacity to remove clicks etc. and can confirm it is a job for long winter evenings! The biggest issue I had was matching my turntable pre-amp to the audio in on the B2 ( i had to use 6db inline signal attenuators).

Having done it I would definitely suggest attaching your vinyl player directly to a laptop etc and working from there, much simpler in the long run.

Daniel Taylor

Jul 23, 2019, 1:04:57 PM7/23/19
to Brennan Forum
> Edwyn said:  "Having done it I would definitely suggest attaching your vinyl player directly to a laptop etc and working from there, much simpler in the long run."

I can agree with that.  I do all my vinyl conversion on my computer.  I doubt if the ADC on the Brennan is anything special.

Paul Croft

Jul 23, 2019, 6:23:05 PM7/23/19
to Brennan Forum
+1 for a computer and Audacity.  I have a Rega Planar 2 connected through an old Yamaha amp and use Audacity to edit.  As others have said it's very straightforward to figure out and very effective with great documentation as and when required..

Mike W

Jul 24, 2019, 7:26:21 AM7/24/19
to Brennan Forum

Just to add to the conversation, I've also used Audacity to manage the transfer of a number of audio tapes onto the B2, same process as with the turntable and same effective results!

Mike

Phil Cooke

Jul 24, 2019, 10:02:48 AM7/24/19
to Brennan Forum
Just to add to the conversation - I used Audacity to copy some of my vinyl before I got the B2. I found it took a lot of trials before figuring it out, but I now find it a breeze. You do need to spend a lot of time mastering the functions - patience, patience. I saved the results to Windows Media Player then burnt a CD. When I got my B2 the burnt CD's loaded as any other commercially  brought CD.
I used a 'behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 connected from a Yamaha amplifiers 'record out' phono to my laptop.