New to B2

Hugh Silver

Apr 11, 2022, 1:53:13 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
I have been offered as a leaving gift a B2 SSD - as yet not purchased - and I would like firstlly to be confirmed that use my setup of a desktop with an Ethernet cable to a BT Router will get the Web UI on the desktop if I use an Ethernet connection between trhe B2 and the BT router by cable?
I've been reading some of the posts on the forum and I am getting puzzled how to get the setup completed. On the assumption the Ethernet cable connection direct to the B2 will work, I think I have learnt  the following:
1) Will need to change the "operating system" on the B2 from a wireless setup to a Ethernet connection by swapping the SD card that comes with the B2 by default with a SD card having a B2B (B2 Broadband?) operfating system.
2) Totally aware of the need to purchase the correct adaptor for the Ethernet connection on the B2 to avoid opening trhe B2 case.
If I do get the correct adaptor, both of the above can be done without the need to use a screwdriver to remove screws?  I have arthritic hands and fingers so no use of a screwdriver is virtually essential.
Once the above has been done, what do I need to do to complete the setup?  I got bewildered by the posts.

Davywhizz

Apr 11, 2022, 2:19:43 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi. Hopefully it's a little simpler than you think.

Firstly, the B2 will work with wifi, so there should be no need for an ethernet connection, provided your wifi signal is reasonably good.  You can then access the web UI on any desktop, tablet or phone which is also on your wifi network. If necessary, and you have the B2B software, you could add an ethernet cable without opening the back of the B2, using an ethernet to USB adaptor cable and clicking one setting in the B2 (advanced) menu ("get ethernet").

Secondly, regarding B2B: if the B2 in question was manufactured after early 2020, you should not have to change the operating system, so no need to change the SD card. B2B is a better operating system, in the sense that it is more up to date and can run all the latest features. The Bluetooth functionality is better too. The B in B2B doesn't mean Broadband, the older B2 operating system also works on wifi and still gets downloadable updates, but there are a couple of newer features (such as being able to use an ethernet adaptor, as above) which require B2B, so it's better to have it.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 11, 2022, 3:05:56 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
Regarding WiFi vs Ethernet connection to the network:  Most people have no problems with WiFi.  All the reports you see in the forum are in the minority.  The folks who have no problems usually don't post here.  When there are problems, it is often found that the problem is in the router network setup.

Proceed with confidence.  If problems do arise, rest assured that there are kind folks here that will guide you through it at your own pace.

Ray Dion

Apr 11, 2022, 6:04:40 PM4/11/22
to Brennan Forum
I read your description perhaps a little differently than the others. My trigger is your very first sentence. You say that you have been offered a "B2 SSD" that has not yet been purchased.
I read this two different ways. You want to purchase an SSD drive for a B2 or you want to purchase a B2 with an SSD.

First to be sure we speak the same. The model is B2. The operating system version is either B2 or B2B.

The easy one first. If you want to purchase a new B2 model with and SSD drive, then you will have the B2B version of the operating system and either WiFi (if your signal strengths are good enough) or ethernet (cable) connections. WiFi should work and a simple "Web Upgrade" command will give you the newest application code.

If you are purchasing an SSD drive for an existing B2 model then you will need to check the software version. From that version this wonderful group can assist you as Daniel says "at your own pace". To install such an SSD drive you will need to open the B2 model. A second set of hands will be needed and adding an ethernet cable at that point would be very simple extra step.

Please let us know which of the above scenarios work in your case.

Ray

PMB

Apr 12, 2022, 4:28:20 AM4/12/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Hugh,

All units are shipped with the B2B software, so no need to update.

Ethernet -
Plug the USB-Ethernet adapter into one of the B2's USB ports and power on >> use the front control to go to Settings >> Maintenance >> Advanced >> Get Ethernet - the B2 will load the additional software and reboot. Connect the Ethernet cable to the adapter and router. If the B2 doesn't connect automatically, power the B2 off, wait 30s and power on again.

Once connected the B2 will display and IP Address - something like 192.168.1.127 - which you can enter into a browser page on your computer/tablet/phone to open the web UI.

Sounds like a great leaving gift.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Hugh Silver

Apr 13, 2022, 12:57:35 AM4/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Very many thanks for all the replies, especially from Ray and PMB.

@PMB - Thanks for the very detailed instructions you provided.  Very glad to learn I don't have any messing around with an alternative SD card.

Hugh