How to control which speakers are playing B2 playlist

Dawn Rumsey

Aug 29, 2021, 1:49:22 PM8/29/21
to Brennan Forum

to Brennan
Hi All,

I need help again. I've got the playback process working and have actually loaded 38 albums and set up 3 playlists so far. So now that I've something to listen to, I'm questioning how it sounds. (Being able to print out all the menu lists was a huge help!)

I have the B2 connected to a Denon receiver, (AVR-S960H (2020 Model) 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver with 3D Audio, Voice Control and HEOS® Built-in) which is connected to our 5 Bose speakers and a new Sony subwoofer. The playback from the B2 is coming through the front 2 speakers and the subwoofer only. The central speaker and 2 back speakers are silent.
1. Can I change this to playback through all the speakers?
2. Is it something I did loading the CDs? They are all stored as FLAC.
3. Is it the Denon?
4. Do I need a different connecting cable? it is currently an RCA black&red plugged into the back of the Denon. (switch to HDMI?)

When we watch the TV (also connected to the Denon for sound) the system works as advertised. Where did I go wrong? Kindly remember you're explaining this to a retired medical person not audio engineers like y'all :)

Thanks so much,
Dawn

Daniel Taylor

Aug 29, 2021, 4:45:55 PM8/29/21
to Brennan Forum
The files stored on the B2 are stereo - just two channels.  On most receivers, you can play stereo as just plain vanilla - front two speakers - or use different settings to add other speakers.  Those settings are on the Denon.  Sound from your TV may be coming to your receiver as 5.1 surround sound, or the Denon is set to simulate stereo in multiple speakers.  So, long story short, the B2 can't help you get multiple channel play on the Denon receiver, you have to change settings on the Denon.

Your cable is probably fine.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2021, 7:48:25 PM8/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dawn,

Not a Denon user myself but as you have B2 sound coming out of the Denon, I would think your B2 Denon link is OK. The control of your extra speakers is down to the Denon not the B2!

However, if your Denon has an optical input then I would suggest that the best link between the Denon and the B2 would be an optical one using the B2's Toslink connector.

Fred

Dawn Rumsey

Aug 29, 2021, 11:45:07 PM8/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks so much for your help! I will track down what my options are with setting up the speakers with the Denon. Our setup is definitely the 5.1 surround as that was how it was working before the Bose LifeStyle died. When installing the Denon, the whole process was guided by our TV right down to calibrating the sound. The B2 isn't part of the group set up by the TV (5 CD changer, DVD/BluRay player & Denon). The B2 is just connected directly to the Denon. I saw no reason to worry about a connection to the TV. I use the web user interface to see what the B2 is doing and manipulate playlists. Everything is connected to our home wifi. I will also look into the optical cable for the B2 to Denon.

Our sound isn't bad but I know given what the TV and the Denon produce when using all the speakers, we can get a fuller sound.

Thanks again!
Dawn

Christian Sunderland

Aug 30, 2021, 6:00:46 AM8/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dawn,

I use a Brennan B2 connected by Bluetooth to a Denon Receiver (albeit, a different model to yours - AVR-X250BT.  To get a 'surround sound' (artificial, not true but sounds good!), I simply press the 'Sound Mode' buttons on the remote control (RC-1225), until the display reads 'Multi-Channel Stereo' on the Denon display.  I hope this help!

Christian

Christian Sunderland

Aug 31, 2021, 9:55:32 AM8/31/21
to Brennan Forum