B2 Hangs when SAVING, CD drive loss of function.

Steve Russ

Feb 15, 2022, 5:10:33 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello All:

Been a happy B2 owner since Dec 2021. I've got two recent issues that I'm trying to resolve.

1) The first is that the CD drive is not recognizing any of my CD's. I've ripped about 700 CD's and now only a couple of the store-bought CD's even try to play and will not play a complete track without skipping. Seems odd that the drive would be failing with only 700 plays, perhaps there is something I can do to address this?

2) The second issue is that sometimes when I do a long press on the PLAY/STOP button prior to shutting the B2 off the unit hangs on SAVING and the only way to get it to respond is a hard reset (switching off and that back on) which I am trying to avoid. Other times it's saves normally without hanging up. I do scan disk several times when ripping and usually do a scan disk at least once during every power-up, even if I'm just playing stored files.

This group has been a great resource and I love the B2, just looking for solutions to these two issues.

Thanks,
Steve

Daniel Taylor

Feb 15, 2022, 5:19:22 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Not too long ago, Brennan got in a bunch of CD drives that later proved to be problematic.  It could be that your unit has one of them.  If you're comfortable with doing the change yourself, they might send you a replacement CD drive.  Send an email to them at thebrennanb2 @ gmail . com (no spaces).

I've had that happen with SAVING before, but not often.  I can't say if that's a real problem or just an inconvenience.  Maybe time will tell, especially if any new problems come up.

You should not have to run the Scan Disk command so often.  I only run it when I'm experiencing anything unusual.  If all is well, running it is unnecessary.  However, if you edit, transfer or delete any files via NAS, a Scan Disk is required.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2022, 8:18:16 PM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum
I agree with Daniel, your CD unit could be an issue. I am sure Paul from Brennan will advise.
In the interim, it is important that you make a good backup (using the Export to USB function) of your music already ripped.

Fred

PMB

Feb 16, 2022, 4:37:46 AM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

1. What you describe fits with the problems we experienced with some CD Drives i.e. they worked OK for a while. Your B2 is still in warranty so we will replace it FOC. We have sourced a different drive for production and replacements. Please email us about it -   thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces.

2. The B2 will sometimes hang on 'Saving' if you are not at the 'clock' screen when pressing Play/Stop. The B2 has done the save so it is safe to just power the B2 off - give it a 10 seconds after 'saving' is displayed.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Steve Russ

Feb 16, 2022, 12:42:53 PM2/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Daniel and Fred,

Thank you for your fast reply and suggestions about saving, scan disk, and backup. I do backup every time I make changes to the files on my B2.

I have contacted Paul at Brennan regarding my CD drive problems and will update this tread when I hear back.

My Best to everyone,

Steve

Steve Russ

Feb 17, 2022, 5:50:58 PM2/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Adding the follow-up from Brennan USA to this post regarding the CD drive not recognizing my CD's.  They are sending me a new CD drive since my B2 is only a couple of months old. They offered to repair it under warranty if I sent it in,  however, I'm comfortable doing the R&R myself.

Thanks, everyone.

Steve

Peter Lowham

Feb 18, 2022, 5:18:30 AM2/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

The second issue that you reported, namely the hang on 'Saving' does occur sometimes and has happened with others (and to me).  It that case, if you leave the B2 at 'Saving' for about 30 seconds, then power the B2 off and on then that will clear the problem without causing any problems.

Regards,
Peter.