Playlists and latest software

Les Stanley

Oct 3, 2021, 1:20:33 AM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I recently updated my B2 to the latest software - Software Version B2 Sep 20 2021 10:49:39.

Now I've noticed a couple of odd things with my playlists.

Some of them seem to have combined themselves (I am quite certain I did not do this).
And others have copied themselves (again I am certain I did not do this).

Unfortunately, I've done a backup since I updated the software so I can't copy the playlist from that (not that I know exactly how to but I guess it's possible).

Is there any way to uncombine playlists?  All I really want to do is separate about 300 tracks from one playlist where it looks as though at least two of them have become combined.

Jeff. M.

Oct 3, 2021, 4:08:59 AM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I,m still on b2b 7th September, I noticed some of my playlists had duplicated too, didn't think much of it, and deleted them. Haven't checked for combined, definitely something wrong here. Not a huge deal though.

JFBUK

Oct 3, 2021, 6:32:46 AM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi,
I’ve never done it but subtracting playlists is described on the Brennan website

John

Peter Lowham

Oct 3, 2021, 9:48:17 AM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I've just had this problem occur to my recent 'Blacklist' playlist.  I wasn't doing anything with the playlists since 13/09/21.

On 13/09/21 the content of this was:

#name=Blacklist
/ZZZB - Audiobooks
/ZZZF - Film Soundtracks
/ZZZC2 - Classical & Opera
/ZZZJ - Jazz
/ZZZR2 - Radio Documentaries
/ZZZS2 - Showtime
/ZZZU - Unknown
/ZZZX - Christmas

On looking at it today it has somehow mprphed into:

#name=Blacklist
/ZZZF - Film Soundtracks
/ZZZF - Film Soundtracks
/ZZZX - Christmas

So it looks like the is a little bug lurking around in there!

Fortunately for me this is relatively easy to fix as the list is backed up and it is a very simple list.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 3, 2021, 10:10:55 AM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum
These symptoms remind me of what happened with my playlists awhile ago.  Fortunately in my case, I saw it before it got too bad.  It is indicative of the bad things that can happen when you try to get the B2 to do more than one thing at a time.  At the time, I was playing music while modifying my playlists.  I don't do that anymore - strictly one thing at a time now.

Paul Martin

Oct 3, 2021, 3:43:04 PM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum

I had about 15 playlists on the B2, including a new ‘blacklist’ playlist. At some time during the recent updates, all playlist data, except for those associated with the 7 rainbow colours has been deleted! I keep copies of the playlists, so should be able to compile them again. The creation of new playlists still appears to be working.

Les Stanley

Oct 3, 2021, 9:30:05 PM10/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks all. So I guess it was my fault then as I often add tracks to playlists while I'm listening. What a sensitive thing the B2 is sometimes.
Anyway manually rectified now and I must remember not to do it again.

Cheers
Les

Jeff. M.

Oct 4, 2021, 5:16:25 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
I don't think it was your fault necessarily, I only do 1 thing at a time, and my blacklist disappeared, and several playlists were duplicated! So something happened somewhere.

Peter Lowham

Oct 4, 2021, 6:17:39 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

My experience is the same as Jeff's; I only run one function at a time, and my 'Blacklist' still became corrupted.  However, other that that, my Brennans are all behaving very well.

Regards,
Peter.

John Bisset

Nov 17, 2021, 3:56:48 PM11/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Definitely something going on - my playlist names have become  unreliable. Playlist A disappears and Playlist B duplicates (one of these is always a colour list); also  a number of lists have just disappeared and though I have backups it means I have to check every time I use the B2.

PMB

Nov 18, 2021, 4:44:42 AM11/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Sloopjo...,

What software version is your B2 running?

General advice is not to have the B2 playing when creating Playlists and to run Scan Disk before hand.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Bisset

Nov 26, 2021, 3:49:28 PM11/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Software Version B2B Oct 15 2021 11:04:21; I'm not running anything when I create or edit play lists. I have 40 playlist and just now I logged and found that all but 10 had disappeared. I have them all backed up so I was able to restore them but this keep happening! Thoughts?

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 6:49:39 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi sloopjo...,

Thank you for the additional info. The problem with this kind of issue is trying to reproduce it.

How many items do you have in each playlist, typically? Are they all Tracks or a mixture of Artists, Albums and Tracks?

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Nov 30, 2021, 6:51:11 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

While we try to get the bottom of this possible bug I suggest you save your Playlists to a USB memory stick - Save Playlists from the Playlists menu.

In case of problems they can be reloaded using - load Playlist.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Bisset

Dec 1, 2021, 3:10:01 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Paul

Of the 40 playlists , 4 are only tracks, 27 are only albums, 6 are a mixture of one artist and a number of individual tracks, 3 are a mixture of all 3. The largest playlist has 68 albums.
I backup the playlists whenever I make an alteration but, while it’s obvious when there is a major change as when most are deleted, the more worrying is when one list overwrites another so that I have 2 with the same name and nothing to say which one has been overwritten. The first time this happened I didn’t notice and had to reconstruct from the start.
Nothing of this detracts of how much I appreciate the B2; it has revitalised my listening and purchasing music.
John B

PMB

Dec 1, 2021, 6:23:57 AM12/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John B,

Thanks for the info.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Wilson Wu

Dec 21, 2021, 12:54:26 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I can't play entire albums once imported nor make playlists that play more than one song at a time...

I'm not a "tech" minded person, but spending $$ on the Brennan I EXPECTED to be able to mix and match my ripped CD songs...

What am I NOT doing right???

JFBUK

Dec 21, 2021, 1:11:59 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Wilson,

Can you tell us more about how your B2 is set up ?
Are you just using speakers wired to the B2, Sonos, connected to a separate amplifier etc ?
How did you load your music on to the B2
CDs ripped on the B2 ,Web UI upload from a computer, import from a USB drive, etc ?
How are you attempting to playback ?
Using the front panel, the remote or the Web UI ?

Thanks

John

Daniel Taylor

Dec 21, 2021, 1:40:37 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
In situations that seem sort of weird, like this one, it never hurts to run the Scan Disk command (Settings menu).  Sometimes it clears up a state of confusion within the B2.

Wilson Wu

Dec 21, 2021, 5:50:01 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I ripped from my CDS to Brennan.  I use the Brennan software UI on my laptop and the "new" mode of the software layout.  But when I play an album after ripping it, it only will play ONE song and then stop.  I thought that the album would continue to play the other songs...but no luck.  I also tried putting some selects into "playlists", hoping that if I played one of the songs in the playlist that it would continue to play the other songs...but no luck.

So far, I'm able to get my music onto the Brennan, but can't play more than one song at a time;  I have to "disc jockey" the device to hear whatever songs I wan to play.

I will try the "scan Disk" suggestion and see if it corrects the problem.

Thanks for your responses....

Wilson

Wilson Wu

Dec 21, 2021, 6:00:03 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
My B2 is connected to my Denon Amplifier via optical connection, which then will play over my 5 speaker home theater set-up.  Sounds great...one song at a time however.  Everything is "wired"...I don't use wireless for the B2 except when playing "Spotify".

I don't have Sonos speakers.

I try to playback using web ui on my computer.

Wilson

Les Stanley

Dec 21, 2021, 7:48:53 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Wilson,

I'd hazard a guess that you might have the Segue option set to off. Check that under Segue mode on the UI or Settings, Segue on the B2 front panel.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 21, 2021, 8:29:46 PM12/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I hope the Seque option doesn't need to be on.  I have it set to off (I don't want a fade between songs) and I don't experience the problems reported here.

PMB

Dec 22, 2021, 4:06:53 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Wilson,

Run Scan Disk - Settings menu - as suggested and then try clearing the cache for the browser you are using -

Windows - close the current web UI page >> go to settings for the browser (three dots in the top right hand corner) >> More Tools >> Clear browsing data >> select 'cached images and files'.

Open a new browser page and enter the IP Address in manually, rather than using a bookmark.

Do a Web Upgrade - Settings menu.

Try the 'Original' web UI.

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Bisset

Dec 31, 2021, 11:05:52 AM12/31/21
to Brennan Forum
Just  happened to me - again

PMB

Jan 3, 2022, 5:03:05 AM1/3/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi sloopjo...,

Is that lost Playlists or corrupted ones?

Try saving the Playlists - Save Playlists - to a USB stick and open them on your computer with Notepad++. What did you see?

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Bisset

Jan 22, 2022, 10:33:02 AM1/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay in answering but I've now compiled a comprehensive list of what is happening almost every time I look. If I have 4 playlists A,B,C,D then all the following are happening at random. 1) AABCD where A is duplicated and if I delete one copy it immediately reduplicates 2) AACD where the 2nd A is A with all of B added to the beginning or end of original A. 3) AB where C&D have disappeared 4) ABC and one of the colour playlists with no items,  You can imagine with 40 playlists this gets both frustrating and confusing so I'm backing up each playlist when I've changed it and reloading the whole lot from backup every couple of weeks until next time it goes wrong.
Examining the playlists on Notepad++ in 1) just shows the two A's are identical; in 2) there is a row of Nuls separating the lists. In 3) there's nothing to examine and in 4) the empty colour is not named in the list. I think 4) is probably the result of D being a renamed colour list which the software automatically recreates.
Just to be clear I am not playing anything when I'm editing, I've created a new copy of the software on a new memory card and I've scandisked before and after amending the playlists.
This is only affecting playlists both music and videos are fine and I check them against my backups each time I take one. I love my Brennan and it's really helped me to rediscover my music collection.

PMB

Jan 24, 2022, 5:32:49 AM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi sloopjo...,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

When do the Playlists get corrupted - when playing them, after a power off and on, etc?

What software version are you running?

Paul
Brennan Support.

John Bisset

Jun 10, 2022, 7:33:08 AM6/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Just lost all but 4 of my 31 playlists and the colours auto-recreated as empty. I have them all backed up whenever I change them so no big deal to restore them. The good news several weeks with no problems but still an annoyance. I can confirm that they were actually gone as I checked them on windows explorer and what I saw is the same as on the gui. Scandisk had no effect nor did recycling the B2. Restored and they are definitely back. BTW I renamed all the lists with a prefix number after the previous problem and this both seemed to make them stable and made checking them much easier. Thoughts?

Peter Lowham

Jun 10, 2022, 7:42:47 AM6/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi sloopjo,

This forum has been discontinued since April 24 2022.  The new forum is found at www.thebrennanforum.com

If you re-log the issue there then we can offer advice.

Peter.