converting wav files to MP3

Peter Howarth

Dec 13, 2020, 9:58:51 AM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry to bother you guys, but I've not found the info on the web site or the forum.
I've finished ripping my cd's, most of which I've stored as wav files.  I want to have copies of them all in MP3 format to load into my BB1 and also for my car sound system.

I am in the process of making a backup of the ripped files.  Once this is done, is there a way I can now batch-make MP3 copies of all of the ripped files using the B2?  If so, does that destroy the wav files, or are the new files stored separately?
Peter

Edwyn Corteen

Dec 13, 2020, 10:05:56 AM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
HI Peter, Make sure you are on the latest 9th December firmware then simply change (on the B2 only) the file format to FLAC+MP3, when in standby the B2 will then convert all the files to MP3 for you and you will find them in a folder called mirror with each album, WARNING! This takes a VERY VERY long time so just leave it in standby (mine took about a week) the recent update will hopefully have speeded this up somewhat.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 13, 2020, 5:28:24 PM12/13/20
to Brennan Forum
What Edwyn says is true.  That will get you low resolution MP3 copies of all your songs (128kbps, I believe).  It will also convert all your WAV files to FLAC format.  FLAC files have all the resolution of WAV files, but they take up less space.  When the B2 converts to FLAC, all the converted WAV files are deleted.   If you truly want to keep your files in WAV format, do not enable compression.  But I agree with Edwyn, FLAC + MP3 is the easy way to go, so long as you don't mind your MP3 files in that low bitrate.

Here's what I do:  I convert all my song files to FLAC - I don't save WAV files anymore (I did for a long time).  When I want MP3 copies, I convert them on my computer to a higher bitrate, 256 or 320.

PMB

Dec 14, 2020, 5:27:30 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

It appears there may be a problem with the B2's FLAC+MP3 function that needs further investigation. So it would be best to use external software to do the MP3 conversion as Daniel suggests.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Howarth

Dec 14, 2020, 6:38:48 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

is that with the latest (Dec 9th) software upgrade, or was it there with the December 3rd upgrade (which is the one I am currently running)?
I actually only want to convert the wav files to mp3 so unless you suggest otherwise I'll try this.  I've now got two back-ups of the original wav files.
Cheers,  Peter

Brian R

Dec 14, 2020, 9:30:07 AM12/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter
The problem is present on the 3 Dec Software.
Brian