connecting sonos port to B2 and stereo receiver

Mark Brooks

Jan 24, 2022, 2:49:13 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Colleagues:  I have been trying to determine whether it is possible to synchronize wired speakers connected to my B2 through my stereo receiver with the pair of Sonos One SL speakers I recently placed in another room.

I gather from reading comments on this forum that this is not possible technically, except that there may be a workaround involving connecting a Sonos port to the Brennan, which would allow the wired speakers to be treated just like any other Sonos speakers on the system and then "grouping" them with the Sonos speakers via the Sonos app.

My questions are:
1. Does this really work ?
2. If so, how do I connect all three pieces of equipment?  I am currently connecting the B2 to the stereo using the line out/SPDIF port on the B2 connected to the optical port on the receiver.  The only ports available on the Sonos port are two sets of RCA (in and out); a digital out port, and two ethernet ports.  On my receiver I have available sets of audio RCA ports (in and out), plus the optical port I am currently using to connect the B2 to the stereo system.  The B2 has the line out/SPDIF port, an AUX in port, plus the two sets of speaker ports and ethernet ports.  How exactly do I connect what to what?
3.  Has anyone experience issues with poor sound quality from the Sonos port?  I have seen at least one unfavorable review here: https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/sonos-port

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark B

John Grimoldy

Jan 24, 2022, 3:22:36 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I think the only way you'll be able to achieve the synchronization you're looking for will be via a Sonos Connect device.  This is the same device you'd need if you had, say, a phonograph, reel-to-reel, or some other analog source you wanted to connect to your Sonos system.  I have an extensive Sonos system with one Sonos Connect (output attached to my Entertainment Center amp) and two Sonos Connect Amps (just like the Connect, except you can connect passive speakers directly to it) and several Sonos Play One and Play 3s around my home.

Sadly, this isn't cheap.  eBay prices look to be in the $250-$300 range.

Once added to your Sonos system, the Connect appears to be just another speaker.  It does offer the benefit of having a line-in too, if you want to attach some other source.

This is precisely what I use when connecting my Brennan B2-based Music Library to play on my Entertainment Center Amp.

Cheers,
-jg

Mark Brooks

Jan 24, 2022, 3:29:52 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks!  I thought the Sonos port was the replacement for the Connect?  Would the Sonos port not do the same thing?  I see it is still possible to buy Connect models from third party vendors, but I would be concerned that it might become obsolete quickly now that Sonos is no longer supporting it.

John Grimoldy

Jan 24, 2022, 4:39:26 PM1/24/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

Yep, the Sonos Port is the new product from Sonos that replaced the Connect.  I'm sort of old school.  Jeez that thing is expensive.  :-/