Software Update

Chris Martin

Mar 9, 2022, 6:31:44 AM3/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I have a Brennan B2.   I have successfully connected the B2 to my wifi network - it has a network connection and it shows my IP address.  The software version on it is dated February 27th 2017. I have tried to update the software by going through Settings>web upgrade, but it always comes up with 'Download Failed'.  I have switched the machine off, I have connected and reconnected wifi... nothing.  I went to the menu on the Brennan web-site and followed the instructions on an alternative, which involves copying one of the named files from the brennan website onto a USB memory stick.  I did that and tried both the files b2.tar.gz and b2b.tar.gz.   Nothing.  I tried these files as they came (without the '.gz' suffix) and with, by adding it.  Nothing.  Also when I try to load a CD there are no album or track titles accessible.  Any ideas?

Daniel Taylor

Mar 9, 2022, 6:38:29 AM3/9/22
to Brennan Forum
You're doing everything right.  BUT, I think your software is too old to update to the latest version.  You must reflash your SD card using the procedure described on the Techy Stuff page of the Brennan website.  The instructions are near the top of the left column where it says New SD Card.  It's not nearly as difficult as it might seem.

But if you prefer, you can order a new card, with more recent software on it, from Brennan.  Once you get the new card, you'll still want to do a Web Upgrade, as the new cards have been in stock long enough that they're no longer quite up to the minute.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2022, 8:39:51 AM3/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I can confirm that your version of the B2 software is now so old that it is not possible to update it using the standard B2 tools.
I would suggest you order a new SD Card (which comes with the software on it) from Brennan, it costs about £10.00. You need to order the correct
Sized card, if your cards sticks out of the right hand side of the B2 you need a standard SD Card and if not a Micro SD Card. With the latter you will
Need to open the back of the B2 to replace it.I
Either way the first thing to do after fitting the new card is a "Web Upgrade" as the software on the card may be a little out of date.

Fred

PMB

Mar 10, 2022, 5:37:27 AM3/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Chris,

Please email us on -  thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces, with a brief description of the issue and we will get back to you.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Chris Martin

Mar 10, 2022, 6:59:13 AM3/10/22
to Brennan Forum
OK, guys, thanks for all the ideas and comments.  Really appreciate it.  I'm not at all techy and I think it sounds best to contact Brennan direct because Paul has provided an email address.  I wondered if it might be the age of my B2 because I think I bought it about four years ago, but never got around to setting it up.... it's a long story!

Chris Martin

Mar 16, 2022, 3:10:18 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Just to finalise the discussion - the guys at Brennan support helped me out.  Turns out, as one or two of you suspected, the the software on my B2 was too old to upgrade.  So I got a new micro SD, inserted that in my machine  and then was able to do the web-upgrade to the very latest software.  All now working perfectly.