1600 CDs

Anthony Muckelt

Dec 8, 2021, 5:29:53 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi I have about 1600 CDs which I would like to rip. Are there any plans to manufacture a B2 with a larger SSD than you have currently? I would like to rip the CDs at the highest quality and would prefer if possible not to have the 2TB B2 with a hard disk.

JFBUK

Dec 8, 2021, 6:36:55 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

You can replace the disk with a higher capacity SSD yourself. Other users have done this successfully.
I have a traditional 2Tb HDD in my B2 and have never had concerns about speed or reliability.
I mitigate the risk of failure by making frequent backups.

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 11:56:22 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John,

I changed my very old (2016) B2's 2Tb HDD for a 2Tb SSD quite easily. Note dont go larger than 2Tb because the B2 cant go larger than that.
Fred.

Mark Fishman

Dec 8, 2021, 3:57:06 PM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Estimating an average CD to hold abut .7GB of music -- and many are smaller than that, so this is probably a generous estimate -- and given that FLAC can shrink the space required for music by about half, your 1600CDs should require considerably less than a 1TB SSD, which can be had for around US$100. FLAC is lossless, meaning you can recreate the original CD bit-identical, so that is the highest quality you can get from your CDs.

As others have said it is quite easy to replace the drive in a B2.

Daniel Taylor

Dec 8, 2021, 4:34:17 PM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
I think there has been way to much made of the presumed advantage of SSD over HDD for the B2.  In a computer, where the OS has to be loaded every time you boot, the improved load time from SSD is certainly an advantage.  But in the B2, the OS is contained in the SD card, so the 10 second boot time will not be improved.  In the situation where music is loaded from the HDD or SDD, at audio playing speeds, there will be no advantage to SSD.  For laptops that are moved around a lot, SSD has an advatage that it is less likely to crash than HDD.  But with a B2 that is mostly just left on a shelf, the advantage is probably too little to matter.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But don't you want that opinion to be based on facts?  I do.  And I'll be glad to read of any additional facts that might change my mind.