Heat issue

Toby Bertrand

Jan 22, 2020, 1:01:52 PM1/22/20
to Brennan Forum
I just received my B2 and started ripping CD's as soon as I had the unit setup on my network. I keep the unit in a closet with my other audio/video gear but it sits on the top of everything. I noticed while listening to music that after an hour or so the music stopped. I used the app to view the status of the unit and it seemed to be working but it just stopped playing so I selected another title and after it started playing I selected a different title to play and it would show in the app that it went to the newly selected title but then would go back to the title that I just tried to move off of. I noticed when I went to the closet and checked on the unit that it was warmer to the touch than my other equipment so I turned it off for 30 minutes then tried again and the unit worked like it should.
I'm just wondering if this unit needs to stay cooler than most other audio equipment.

Mark Fishman

Jan 22, 2020, 5:44:20 PM1/22/20
to Brennan Forum
>  it was warmer to the touch than my other equipment so I turned it off for 30 minutes ... .
> I'm just wondering if this unit needs to stay cooler than most other audio equipment.

Since it was warmer than the other equipment, it's hard to say if it needs to be cooler than the other equipment. Maybe it just needs to be AS COOL AS the other equipment?

The only "cooling" the B2 has is the holes on the top. Since it has no holes on the bottom or sides, there really isn't much in the way of convection (air flow) going on. It's entirely possible that the heat from other components is warming the B2 case to the point that the heat it generates by itself pushes it past its maximum operating temp.

When you say it "sits on top of" other equipment, do you mean that the tiny feet on the B2 case sit directly on other (running) electronics? I have mine above my preamp, but it's been raised about 1-3/4 inches (4.5 cm if you've gone metric) by putting a small block of Post-It notes under each foot. This allows air to circulate under the B2, so heat from the preamp can disspate.

If your cabinet/closet is closed and has restricted air flow, that in itself is generally not recommended for any electronics, but since the B2 is the only unit exhibiting issues, I suggest you see what you can do to get it somewhat further away from the other gear.

-- m.

PMB

Jan 23, 2020, 3:25:33 AM1/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Toby,

We have had one or two reports of the B2 stopping playing when it gets too warm. Some suggestions (from customers) include lifting the B2 up on extended feet (to increase airflow around the case) and make sure there is nothing on top of the B2.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mark Fishman

Jan 23, 2020, 7:57:33 AM1/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Nice to know that 1cm is all that's really needed. The Post-It notes I use are sold in packages of two and they're about 2-1/4 inches square. As a temporary fix, they're quick, cheap, and I can always use the Post-Its later. :) Plus, they're multi-colored so they have a cheery look to them.

I'll look for some smaller feet. Thanks -- m.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 5:53 AM Charles Hope wrote:

Keep my B2 on top of my amplifier, but I decided it might get too hot, so I bought some stick-on feet so the B2 has nearly 1cm  of free air space underneath. It seems to work well

Charles.

Toby Bertrand

Jan 24, 2020, 11:40:39 AM1/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the replies. It is sitting on top of other equipment but none that generate enough heat on their own that they have any ventilation. I will raise it up a little from the other piece that it sits on and see if this makes any difference. I was also thinking on installing a USB powered fan on the USB connectors of the unit and have the fan sit on top of the vent holes to help draw heat out of the unit.What do y'all think?

RichM

Jan 24, 2020, 12:26:38 PM1/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Does the same issue apply to SSD devices? I wouldn't say mine seems especially warm.

Rich

Mark Fishman

Jan 24, 2020, 1:18:52 PM1/24/20
to Brennan Forum
An SSD shouldn't generate as much heat as a spinning drive, but I think the "especially warm" issue only seems to crop up when airflow around the B2 is either restricted or pre-heated (by other electronics, say).

As to putting a fan on top of the B2's vent holes, two thoughts: first, drawing extra current from the USB port to run the fan might defeat the attempt to supply additional cooling, and second, there are no holes on the bottom, so the fan won't be able to do much in the way of assisting convection. I'm definitely NOT saying that it shouldn't be tried -- just that I wouldn't expect much gain.

-- m.

Daniel Taylor

Jan 24, 2020, 3:24:32 PM1/24/20
to Brennan Forum
I think it's a prolem having equipment in a closet.  Unless there's a ventilation system in place, the heat will continue to build up and will have no where to go.

Tony Johnston

Jan 25, 2020, 8:10:40 AM1/25/20
to Brennan Forum
My B2 is located in my conservatory and can be on for up to 8 hours a day. It seems to get warmer in the summer - surprise, surprise. Its on an oak console table and I've cut 4 wooden disks about 1/2 inch thick with anti slip mat attached to sit it on. The additional air space seems to work for me.

Toby Bertrand

Jan 25, 2020, 11:04:27 AM1/25/20
to Brennan Forum
There is ventilation in the closet so the only time it gets warm in the closet is when I operate the gear without the air conditioning system on in which case I keep the door open on the closet.
I'll post on the fan results.