Problem With B2 - Stopped Working

Earl Drumheiser

Dec 12, 2021, 8:03:37 PM12/12/21
to Brennan Forum
My B2 was playing fine then stopped. When powered on display is black. Red / green lights blink.  No response from any buttons.
???

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2021, 4:34:41 AM12/13/21
to Brennan Forum
OK,
The Red/Green flashing problem is caused by a corruption to the B2's SD Card. (don't worry your music on the B2's HDD is safe)
If your B2 is out of warranty, The cure is either to purchase a new SD Card form the Brennan website shop (£10) - this comes with the software pre loaded - or to "re-flash" and SD Card with the Brennan software yourself.
The latter option is not difficult to do, but you will need a PC/Mac with a SD Card reader. If you want to do this let us know and we will guide you through the process as described on the Brennan website.

Fred

PMB

Dec 13, 2021, 5:09:14 AM12/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi earld...,

A new SD Card would be worth trying and if that doesn't help then your B2 may have to go to our service agent for checking and/or repair.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Lowe

Feb 6, 2022, 3:01:07 PM2/6/22
to Brennan Forum

Same problem here. It started when I ran Free Space but it came up zero. So I ran Web Upgrade, but INFO still zeros. So I ran clean up because I had Elton John songs  listed on an Eric Clapton album, but not really there. Then Scan Disk. And it stopped working. Will not start up, and the red/green lights keep flashing.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 6, 2022, 3:08:09 PM2/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi drlo...
As you've no doubt read in the comments preceding your post, the flashing red and green lights probably indicate a problem with the B2 trying to read the software on your SD card.  Before you start the process of re-flashing it or replacing it, it wouldn't hurt to try removing the SD card and re-seating it (with power off, of course).  Otherwise, you know what to do.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 6, 2022, 5:20:41 PM2/6/22
to Brennan Forum
I just found this message in my email:
"I feel like I’m in over my head. I removed the back using the online instructions but pulled it out too far, unplugging another component. But got that plugged back in and the B2 reassembled. No change. Since you sell a new SD cards this must not be uncommon? I was surprised by how small it is, my B2 is about a year old, so need the micro size?"
Good job on getting it back together again.  If your B2 is less than a year old (still in warranty), they might send you a new SD card for free, otherwise it's only ~10 GBP.  Send an email to thebrennanb2 @ gmail . com (no spaces).

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2022, 5:32:34 PM2/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes,

The bit that you found came unplugged is the CD Drive connector. It is a bit fiddly but quite easy to re seat.

Also micro SD cards are indeed small, you are actually plugging the Card into the Raspberry Pi itself, that is how a Pi works!
As your machine is under a year old, and provided Paul too believes this is an SD Card issue, I am sure Brennan will send you a new one.

Fred

PMB

Feb 7, 2022, 3:05:19 AM2/7/22
to Brennan Forum
HI drlo...,

Please email us on -   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   - no spaces, explaining that you need a new SD card. Include a postal address for delivery.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Feb 7, 2022, 5:12:10 AM2/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi drlo...,

Your B2 has run out of disk space (Free space = 0), so there is no more space available for storing music.  What has probably happened is that the B2 no longer has any space to run its conversion functions and has crashed.  This crash is likely to be the cause of the corrupted microSD card and is also the reason for the incorrect track listing.

What this means is that when you install the new microSD card, it could become corrupted  when you try to continue to use the B2.

Firstly, do you have a recent full 'Export' backup or some other form of backup?  If not, go through the steps below very carefully.

I think that you need to do the following.

1.  Install the new microSD card.
2.  Boot up the B2.
3.  Immediately open up a WebUI session to the B2 from your PC/ mobile device (this is to prevent compression from starting up).
4.  Delete three albums from the B2 (any three will do).
5.  Run 'Scan Disk'.
6.  Check that the 'Disk used' is now greater than 0GB.
7.  Post the B2 'Settings & Status' data here and we can do a further analysis on the disk space availability.
8.  If you have not run an 'Export' backup, then this is the time to do one.
9.  Do not attempt to rip or load any more music until the situation is fully understood (as this will probably corrupt the new  microSD card).

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Feb 28, 2022, 6:04:07 PM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I have just received this response from Dan via my PM so I have reposted it here on the forum.

It took three weeks to get the new micro chip, but now I am back to this process outlined below.

The B2 boots up fine, but says “no network”. I powered off and powered off the router, and waited. Then power the router back on. Again the B2 boots up fine but still no network.

Because of your instruction to immediately delete three albums I again powered off. Should I try to reset to the WiFi? That will mean going into the settings menu.

Dan Lowe

Peter Lowham

Feb 28, 2022, 6:16:35 PM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dan,

Yes, if you go to 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Reset Wifi'' and see if that moves the situation on.

Also, make sure that the Wifi dongle is NOT marked 'CSR4' or 'CSR5' as these are Bluetooth devices.  The Wifi dongles are either marked '802.x' or are an antenna unit.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2022, 6:19:42 PM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Yes Reset Wifi then Setup WiFi and after you have done so successfully press and hold in the Stop/Play button until 'saving' appears and when the time reappears power the B2 off then after 30 seconds on again.

You should now have an IP number on the front display as the B2 boots.

Fred.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2022, 9:15:15 PM2/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dan, I got this from you in my private eMail so i am reposting it here
  Fred
I followed the instructions carefully, and still no network. The house WiFi is working fine.
I tried WiFi strength and got nothing.
I have an antenna that came with the B2 in the back.
Dan
Sent from my iPad
Given that the NEW SD Card has not solved the problem, It must be that the USB ports are not functioning as they should be - there must be a hardware issue.

I suspect Paul will therefore contact you tomorrow with instructions on how Brennan will repair or replace the unit for you.

Fred

PMB

Mar 1, 2022, 6:21:46 AM3/1/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dan,

Please email us on -  thebrennanb2  @  gmail  .  com  - no spaces, with a brief description of the problem. Please include your mailing address and let us know when and where you purchased the B2 from (in the email).

Paul
Brennan Support.