SSH and PuTTY

Daniel Taylor

Feb 1, 2019, 5:29:08 PM2/1/19
to Brennan Forum
I thought it might be nice to have a thread devoted to SSH things.

I'm to the point where I want to try talking to the B2 over SSH.  I've downloaded the free app PuTTY, and tried to connect.   Where it asks for Host Name (or IP address), I've entered the IP address used by the WebUI.  I've also tried entering "brennanb2" instead.  In both cases, it pops up a dialog box that says this:

PuTTY Security Alert.jpg

I know the username is "root" and the password is "brennan"  but I don't know if that's what's missing at this point, or how to enter it in.  Because I'm not certain of how to proceed, I've just clicked Cancel.  There is a place in the PuTTY Configuration dialog box to enter host keys, but I don't know what that information is or the syntax.

I'm sure this stuff will be pretty simple to those who know (and Greek to those who don't ;-)
Can anybody help me, please?

Mike Tunstall

Feb 2, 2019, 3:55:26 AM2/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

Just hit 'Yes' and your in. I think there are some potential security issues if you're in a more complex network but, for a home network, I don't think there's a problem. Based on a wealth of ignorance, that's what I did.

Good luck,

Mike

Mark Fishman

Feb 2, 2019, 7:28:15 AM2/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Mike is correct. If you were using a commandline ssh client (like the one in WIndows 10) you would have seen much the same thing on your first connection to a remote computer. That's the "fingerprint" I mentioned in the other thread when describing how to ssh and unmoount a USB drive.

Congrats. -- m.

Tony

Feb 2, 2019, 4:43:18 PM2/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Once you've got SSH access working, you are well on the way to being able to change the root password.

I believe that it's a huge security hole in the B2 product - although Martin does not agree with me about that.