New Brennan B2 issue

Jane Hendry

Jun 29, 2021, 5:52:37 AM6/29/21
to Brennan Forum
When playing a cd on the Brennan B2 the following occurs;
1). The cd loads and displays correctly.
2). When play button is pressed the music is heard very briefly then stops.
3). The cd motor can then be heard starting up.
4). The music commences from where it left off I.e. not the very start.
Everything else is working fine, cd’s ripping ok. I don’t want to return for replacement if I am doing something wrong. Please advise.

PMB

Jun 29, 2021, 6:35:19 AM6/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jane,

Try this - using the front control navigate to the Advanced menu and select 'Reset CD' - Settings >> Maintenance >> Advanced >> Reset CD.

Paul
Brennan Support.

martin jachnik

Sep 30, 2021, 9:36:32 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi I have also just bought a B2 and the cd doesn't recognise that any disc is present, it says loading and then says no cd is there. I have tried to reset the cd but the issue still persists. A bit disappointing for a top range product any other fixes before I return the product?

Edwyn Corteen

Sep 30, 2021, 9:52:21 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware? Here is a recent update for this?

17th September 2021This upgrade for b2b fixes an occasional problem with the Musicbrainz server causing some CDs to be unrecognised and ejected. Also fixes erroneous duplicated album display on the web UI immediately after ripping. Thanks to Ian L. for his help with this.

martin jachnik

Sep 30, 2021, 10:02:08 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes thanks Edwyn the software is up to date.

JFBUK

Sep 30, 2021, 10:14:33 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi,

are you on the B2 or B2B version of the software ?

John

JFBUK

Sep 30, 2021, 10:27:22 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin,

there are a couple of ways to check your software version

You can find out your software version via the webUI or using the remote

Using the remote
Press the info button
On the B2 display you will see
   - Total Tracks, Albums & Artists
   - Number of WAV, FLAC, MP3 and AAC tracks
   - HDD capacity and usage
   - Total Tracks,

Press a second time to see -
   - Software version
   - MAC address

Using the webUI
On the top a bit in from the left is a little cog wheel click on that and you get a panel of information displayed which includes the software version.
This link shows what that info panel looks like

JFBUK

Sep 30, 2021, 10:51:17 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Martin replied via a PM

"Hi John it's B2B sep 30 2021 10.11.57. Just tried again but says cd empty."

Martin,

As Edwyn posted, the Sept 17th software had a fix for unrecognized CDs , but from your  experience, and from that of at least one other user who has posted similar problems, there still seem to be issues.
Paul from Brennan will review this thread tomorrow and have some thoughts on next actions.
Out of interest what are the details of the problem CD ?

Also please try to reply to the forum and not to contributors'  individual email addresses. That way everyone can see the replies - Thanks

John

martin jachnik

Sep 30, 2021, 11:16:28 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi John, I have tried 3 cds so far all legit; Mumford and sons "Sigh no more", Sheryl Crow "Tuesday night music club" and Chris Isaak "wicked game".
Though I can't really see how this should be an issue, for instance I have a few cds produced by amatuer bands and I would like to rip these onto my B2.
If I can only put stuff that's in a music catalog onto the B2 it makes it very limited. All the LP's, tape recordings etc will take considerable effort to store on something that I had hoped would work straight out of the box.
Martin

martin jachnik

Sep 30, 2021, 11:43:30 AM9/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi all, just tried loading and ripping a CD now and everything worked perfectly. So did the next two CDs.
I will update as to whether there are any problems with the next 200 ish in our collection.
Thanks to all who have helped with replies.
Martin

PMB

Oct 1, 2021, 4:39:27 AM10/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin,

Glad to hear that the B2 is ripping now. Did you do anything to make it work - power off and on, etc?

Have you got the B2 connected to WiFi?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Kathleen Peters

Oct 12, 2021, 8:05:24 PM10/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Martin, How was this issue resolved?  I have Version B2B Sep 30,2021 on my panel.  Device is still not recognizing CD (have tried many!) Says, "No cd".  CD has to be manually ejected.
Very frustrating as yesterday I was able to rip about 20 CD with no problem.  Did the compressing overnight.  Today, ripped 1 CD and then hit this road block.
I can play those that were loaded yesterday and the one from this morning.  Not able to add anything further, nor can I play a new cd.  That makes sense as the drive is saying"no cd".
Any advice?  Thank you.

martin jachnik

Oct 13, 2021, 5:21:30 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter, I hadn't seen your comment and this morning I had an email from someone else asking the same question. I can't see her post here so i will paste my answer to her below.
Hi Kathleen, I am not sure how it resolved itself. My device was new at the time, I guess that it hadn't finished installing all the software updates.
I had left it running connected to the internet for a day and then when it didn't work tried shutting it down and restarting it. Then I told it one last go before I send you back to Brennan and it worked fine. Hopefully it is not an intermittent issue as it seems your unit was working.
Please let me know how you get on.
Martin
Peter I hope that you succeed in getting it to work, it's frustating that an expensive piece of kit does this.
Please let me know if you find a reason for the non performance.
Martin

Kathleen Peters

Oct 13, 2021, 9:24:43 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
I replied earlier indicating that after letting the B2 stay off all night I was able to actually rip another CD this morning.  Thought the issue was resolved.  Unfortunately, that appears to not be the case!  Put in the next CD and again the B2 is not reading the cd.  Tried several.  Nothing happens.  Have to manually eject.  Thinking this device needs to be returned.  Any suggestions before I box it up?  I really want this to work.

JFBUK

Oct 13, 2021, 9:52:17 AM10/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

Paul from Brennan ,in a reply to a similar post, indicated that Martin Brennan and his team were working on this issue.

Paul wrote

Evidently MusicBrainz has some sort of 'request limit' mechanism which returns an error message if too many requests are received and the B2 didn't know what to do, so just waited for a title to be returned. Might be related.

MusicBrainz is the database the B2 uses to look up CD info.

John

PMB

Oct 14, 2021, 5:35:54 AM10/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Please try doing a Web Upgrade - Settings menu - to get the latest software update and let us know if it helps.

Paul
Brennan Support.