Aux recordings

peter k

Jul 5, 2020, 6:42:14 PM7/5/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi, this is my first post so bear with me.
I have had my B2 256G for a few weeks and have completed uploading my CD collection and backed up - twice, via Nas and usb stick. All seems to be working!
However I am now trying to upload a few cassettes and have followed the instructions. When I got to 'get recordings' it said 'copying' and was busy for a little while, then appeared to complete. They appeared to be there and I renamed but I can't see them now.If I look in Aux/SD I see the recordings but if I try to 'get'them again it says 'failed'.
As we know this is very time consuming and I am frustrated at my lack of success.
Has anyone else experienced this - and has an answer?

john Henrick

Jul 5, 2020, 6:43:54 PM7/5/20
to Brennan Forum
If you have renamed them ensure you have run settings scan disk afterwards

PMB

Jul 6, 2020, 6:03:25 AM7/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,

Check the artist folders on your B2 for any strange titled ones - say 'Unknown' or 'Recordings', etc.

Try running Scan Disk to rebuild the B2's music index.

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 6, 2020, 12:58:05 PM7/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the pointers but I have run Scandisk - several times - I always do. There are no 'Recordings' or 'Unknown' on the 'HDD'.
When I switch to SD the artist and album shows, with side 1 showing as track 1 and side 2 as track 2 - as I recorded them. Disc art is showing.
However, no music will play (not sure that it should from SD card - but probably should).
Tried yet again to 'Get Recordings' and again shows 'Failed'.
When I recorded I took the output from the cassette deck headphone socket (which has it's own level control) and used the Vu facility to ensure I was recording at a good level.
So ......
Can anyone suggest other things to look at. Perhaps I should try once more, but the process is naturally very slow - being in real time.
Cheers
Peter

Daniel Taylor

Jul 6, 2020, 1:16:01 PM7/6/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,
I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question.  However, I think you'll be a lot happier with the recording situation overall if you do the recording on your computer, and then Import the songs onto the B2.  Your computer gives you much better control over things and is enormously easier to work with.

PMB

Jul 7, 2020, 6:24:24 AM7/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,

The recordings are stored under 'Artist = Unknown' and 'Album = Recordings' as Track 1, Track 2 etc.

Once you have used 'Get Recordings' the tracks are copied to the HDD and deleted off the SD Card.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Jul 7, 2020, 6:56:42 AM7/7/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,

 Before you run 'Get Recordings':

Unplug the cassette recording Aux-In lead from the B2 ?
Then select 'Settings' -- 'Maintenance' -- 'Use HDD'
Then select 'Settings' -- 'Get Recording'

Then look for artist 'Unknown', album 'Recordings' in your music collection.

 Regards,
Peter.

peter k

Jul 8, 2020, 9:17:00 AM7/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter
Unplugged the lead. Selected 'Use HDD'. Showed 'Restarting' (for quite a while). But still reading SD!! Tried 'Reboot' option - no joy. Switched off and on and only then it changed to HDD. The new track that I had recorded was in Unknown & Recordings, but I managed to lose one of the two I had - may have been my fault as I had one spelling error. But when I corrected that I expected the two to come under the same album. But one disappeared and can't see it anywhere - no 'Unknown or 'Recordings. Very Frustrated
When I've had a lie down I'll give it another try!
Peter Kirby

Peter Lowham

Jul 8, 2020, 9:42:35 AM7/8/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

I think that the 'Use HDD' option might be a bit 'flaky' and that the B2 reboot is sometimes the only way to get back to 'Source HDD' if the 'HDD' button doesn't do the swichover.

Also, from what I have found on the website, each recording will overwrite the previous one, so I think that you need to keep renaming the 'Recordings' after each recording run.  Here is the link to the Brennan website that I have been referring to.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jul 9, 2020, 4:14:18 AM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,

Each time you use Get Recordings you have to rename the 'Recordings' (the temporary Album name) file otherwise the next Get Recordings will overwrite it.

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 9, 2020, 8:18:04 AM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
I recognise the need to clear each Recording before moving on to the next one.
I tried one more record yesterday, but failed again. This time the machine DID switch to HDD and I renamed the track. But it disappeared into the ether! As I said previously I have one track successfully on the system but keep failing with subsequent tracks.
The procedure seems to be working (sometimes) but seems to be falling over when I come to Rename.
Is there a sequence to renaming UNKNOWN and RECORDINGS? It seems that it can be done either way.
Peter Kirby

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 9, 2020, 8:50:04 AM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

Normally with recordings you can click on the three dots and choose rename, you should then see a box to change artist and album names,  as you have found this is WAY too much of a faff, if you can use a computer and import from there, much easier. Audacity is my free program of choice, once recorded on your PC you can clean them up, name and split into individual tracks and only them import onto the B2.

peter k

Jul 9, 2020, 12:45:19 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
I've tried recording one track yet again. 'Get Recording' - Failed.
Whilst on SD I noticed that it was still showing 4 tracks - must be the earlier attempts. Why are they still there?
Went 'Get Recording' and even though it said that it was still on SD it went off and showed 'Copying'!! - for quite a while.
Still showed tracks on SD.
Is there a way to clear the SD card?
Edwyn suggested using Audacity - which may well be a way forward. My feeling is that I shouldn't have to do that. And I am not that proficient.

Daniel Taylor

Jul 9, 2020, 3:41:29 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
It's not clear to me whether you switched to Use HDD before doing the Get Recordings function.  I believe you have to do them in that order.

peter k

Jul 9, 2020, 5:52:01 PM7/9/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
I have always reverted to HDD except for this last time. I wasn't sure if the system had changed to HDD but (perhaps) was still indicating SD. And, as I said, it appeared to go off and 'Copy' for quite a while. Why though are all the previous recordings still on the SD card when they should be deleted after transfer? Which is why I was asking if the SD could be wiped, so that perhaps I could try again with a clean SD. Faulty SD? Seems from the forum this happens quite a bit.
Cheers, Peter

PMB

Jul 10, 2020, 5:44:41 AM7/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter k,

Make sure your B2 is in 'SD' mode (Use SD) then select 'Delete music' from the Maintenance menu - make sure the B2 is in 'SD' mode.

If the card then shows as empty try another recording - doesn't have to be a long recording for the test.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Jul 10, 2020, 6:08:26 AM7/10/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter k,

Just had a play with Recording.

Selected 'Play Aux' - B2 reboots
Press 'Rec' on the remote (I recorded 3 short tracks by stopping and starting the recording) - display shows progress
Selected 'Aux off' > press front control twice
Refreshed web UI
Typed 'Unknown' into search box
Artist panel (top right) showed 'Recordings' and Album panel (lower right) showed '01 Track 1', '02 Track 2', '03 Track 3'.
Clicked the three dots to the right of the Album name (top right panel) and selected Rename
Changed Album (top line) to 'Recordings 1' and Artist (bottom line) to 'Test Recordings Album 1'

Artist and Album appear in the UI as expected.

Changed B2 to 'Use SD' mode
Checked Stat's (pressed INFO on remote) - showed 0 Tracks in 1 Artist, 1 Album
Checked Browse Albums - showed 'Empty'
Switched back to 'Use HDD' mode.

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 11, 2020, 8:47:14 AM7/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, thanks for the the info....
I deleted the residual tracks on the SD card. All clear.
Pressed AUX on the remote - changed ok
Recorded 4 more tracks to the one successfully done as a trial. (Happens to be Barbra Streisand - Guilty).
Disconnected the lead from the cassette deck.
Pressed AUX off option - 'Rebooting' - but still showed SD card.
Maintenance - Use HDD - 'Restarting' - took along time, left it, came back and it had changed.
BUT STILL READ SD CARD
Maintenance - Reboot - Green light on for duration
BUT STILL READ SD CARD
In desperation, turned machine off and back on.
Now read Hard Disk!
Get Recordings - which you didn't mention Paul.
- Copying - OK
Search -Unknown - Recordings - - 4 new tracks were there. Renamed Album and Artist in Recordings.
Album stayed renamed but the Artist kept disappearing!
Went back to SD card and that showed 0 tracks, 1 album, 1 Artist
Then took M/nance - Use HDD and this time it changed.
But I can no longer find the new tracks. Checked Recordings and Unknown - nothing!

I am really frustrated. So much time wasted when it is a time consuming job anyway.

Edwyn suggested Audacity etc but I am not really up to speed with that - and shouldn't have to anyway.

Any new thoughts?

Peter K

Peter Lowham

Jul 11, 2020, 9:07:00 AM7/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

What version of software is the B2 running on? On the B2 remote, press the 'Info' button twice and look for 'Version .....' on the B2 display.

Regards,
Peter.

Edwyn Corteen

Jul 11, 2020, 10:21:37 AM7/11/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter.

Something odd going on, next try just rename the artist, you should then find the tracks in artist's name with the album as originally named, if you now rename the album does everything now look OK? When renaming artists, if you already have some recordings from the same group,  it is very important to keep the spelling and any capitalisation the same otherwise you will have listings for two similar looking artists, not a disaster as when you update the artist name the albums will move to the correctly named artist folder.

I have just tried this on my B2 and worked as expected.

peter k

Jul 12, 2020, 6:46:07 AM7/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Edwyn
thanks for suggestions

Today's Update -
Recorded 1 track, #2 on the album.
track disappeared again. SD card read 0 tracks 1 Album, 1 Artist (Why not 0,0,0?)
on UI (tablet) Top Left SD shows Empty, Empty, Empty.

Recorded yet again....
Hit Aux twice and this time it switched to HDD straight away!
'Get Recordings' (removed recording lead first)
Artist count increased by 1
On UI (tablet) changed track, then artist and album.
Both are shown but as separate albums under artist - Barbra Streisand. Artwork has self-imported onto the new track - so must recognise it.
Tried checking spelling (only 'Guilty'!) and for inadvertent spaces etc but couldn't see anything - but tracks won't combine
Peter K

PMB

Jul 13, 2020, 5:16:17 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter K,

Try running Scan Disk - Settings menu - it may combine the two tracks.

Well spotted, I missed out 'Get Recording'.

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 13, 2020, 10:46:34 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul
Tried that but nothing happened. Even more strange - one of the 'Tracks/Albums' keeps reverting to RECORDINGS despite renaming several times!
I've tried scan disc several times. Ran 'CleanUp' - nothing.
Ran 'Saving' - B2 got stuck on that and didn't move. Went back and hit it again, this time it came and went fairly swiftly - but no result.
At one point, and I can't quite remember where now, but I saw 4 tracks that I recorded earlier and I had erased - but they have now disappeared.

What is going on?? Don't know where to go now. Do I really have to use Audacity - disconnect and drag my cassette deck - and my record deck up to my computer room to be able to do that.

Peter K

peter k

Jul 13, 2020, 10:48:54 AM7/13/20
to Brennan Forum
PS to the above
just gone back to the UI and the one item has gone back to RECORDINGS again!!

PMB

Jul 14, 2020, 5:28:54 AM7/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter k,

This is a strange one! I think a new SD Card with operating software would be worth a try.

Please email us on   thebrennanb2   @   gmail   .   com   with your address and tell us if the SD Card for your B2 is 'external' (slots in on the RHS of the unit, from outside) or 'internal' (no card or slot visible on the RHS).

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 21, 2020, 1:05:55 PM7/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Here we go again....
Received and fitted the new sd card. No apparent improvement.
Ran 'Scandisk'. Still 2 entries for Barbra Streisand - 'Guilty' and the other says 'Recordings' - again.
Renamed, ran Scan, still 2 'albums' still one Recordings again.
Did a 'Save', then switched off - and on again.
Now read - Logging
                 - no storage
                 - CD disabled
                 - Warning: Aux-In - press HDD
 Pressed - Use HDD, still says SD card - and again
 Switched off and on again STILL SD card -and again - and again
From the Remote - HDD - still SD card
                             - then pressed AUX then HDD and finally it changed to HDD.

So same old same old - plus other issues!

PMB

Jul 22, 2020, 3:11:22 AM7/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peterk,

The B2 doesn't like being powered off and on again without waiting 30s or so before powering on again - this may have caused the SD mode issue.

As for the 'recordings' problem I would try deleting everything off the SD Card - go to SD mode and select 'Delete Music', check it is empty - open the Stats - and try a test recording again (doesn't have to be a long recording just 20s or so).

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 23, 2020, 9:49:08 AM7/23/20
to Brennan Forum
From MAINTENANCE took USE SD then DELETE MUSIC. Shows 0,0,0
USE HD - won't change - still SD
Waited, tried again. Still SD card
SAVED before switching off. WAITED
Switched on again - Still SD
So, as before tried Remote - HDD - nothing happened
Hit AUX - 'speed set' with green light on.
After it had changed , took HDD - speed set etc.
NOW reads Hard Drive
BUT ALL MY MUSIC WAS DELETED.
Switched off and inserted USB drive with back-up.
Switched on - reading SD card!
Did the AUX the HDD on the remote - changed to Hard Drive
From USB functions - Import from C - it read 'not Brennan format' despite the back-up was done using 'Export to C' - as recommended.
Carried on and music was imported overnight and seem to be ok, although appears to be more artists than previously!
Seem to have lost the troublesome Cassette uploads along the way - they were not on the back-up.

So, still head scratching over several anomalies........

PMB

Jul 23, 2020, 11:14:11 AM7/23/20
to Brennan Forum
HI Peterk,

It sounds like you have made some progress.

It's possible that your music was still on the HDD but wasn't being displayed - Scan Disk will usually recover it. And now you have imported the backup again some tracks may have been copied, hence the 'more artists'. So check for duplicates.

Paul
Brennan SUpport.

peter k

Jul 23, 2020, 12:57:41 PM7/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul
Not sure about progress!!
I'll try to carry on. But there are a load of outstanding anomalies in my previous post. The B2 seems to be in a confused state - a bit like me!! For example, why did I delete my music from the hard drive when I was in the SD mode?
And another thing - I can't find 'Find Tracks' option (with 'get artwork'). Now all I can see is Reindex - what is that? can't seem to get it to do much except an ever increasing list of artworks.
Cheers
PeterK

PMB

Jul 24, 2020, 3:46:09 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Have you checked for duplicates as I suggested? Also you should try running Scan Disk again since the import.

What software version are you running?

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Jul 24, 2020, 6:25:09 AM7/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

Yes, cleared 1 duplicate. Regularly run Scan Disk. Software is 21st July. Obviously since I had to Import the back-up the troublesome cassette recording/s are no longer there. I will try again.

Can you look at my other queries please.

thanks
PeterK

peter k

Jul 26, 2020, 6:23:18 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Latest in the saga....
Recording cassette of 'With the Beatles'....
Side 2 is still with me, tracks renamed in correct sequence 08, 09 etc. Has 'side 2' appended.
Re-recorded side1 - ok. Transferred ok. Renamed (removed 'side 2' so both recordings were identical artist and album. Ran Scan Disk. Both sides were still separate - AND the 'side 2' was re-appended!
Renamed - yet again - Ran Scan Disk. Refreshed UI on tablet.
Both sides still separate AND 'side 2' back!!

Whilst doing all the above - now several times, the following is still observed. Reported previously I believe,
After recording, took HDD (x2) on remote - says rebooting etc but comes back still on SD. Pressing buttons on remote achieves nothing so switched off - waited - back on - STILL shows SD!! Now take HDD - this time it changes so I can proceed with 'Get Recordings' etc....
What a palaver!! I can feel my determination - and life - slipping away...
Any ideas please.
PeterK

Daniel Taylor

Jul 26, 2020, 9:43:16 AM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,
I've been following along but I've lost track of everything that has been recommended and that you've tried.  But my overall impressions are twofold:
1) Analog recording on the B2 is not worth the hassle.
2) Your B2 has a problem.

As one who is technically quite proficient, I would not put myself through the unpleasantness of trying to use that feature of the B2.  Save yourself all the trouble and do your recording on your computer, where you can make edits like breaking the album sides into tracks, and then Import them via USB or WiFi.

However, that leaves impression #2.  Does your B2 behave correctly in all other aspects.  If not, maybe you need to rebuild your SD card.  I don't remember if you've tried that or not.  If so, then maybe it's time to send your B2 in for repairs.  Unless you're a glutton for punishment, try to find the shortest path to the end of this turmoil.

peter k

Jul 26, 2020, 2:12:30 PM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel
thanks for your input. Indeed this is becoming a saga.
I have had a new sd card from Brennan recently but it did not produce any improvement.
I hear what you say about using my computer for analogue conversion but the B2 is sold with this as a feature. I have all my h-ifi plumbed together with the B2 so everything is convenient.
I will need to remove my cassette deck and turntable to my computer upstairs, which I was trying to avoid.
I do have Audacity on my desktop (never used it) but it may be that reluctantly this may be the only reliable way forward. Disappointed!

As you are 'technically quite proficient' what are you like on D/A conversion. My Rotel amp (now long in the tooth but working well) does not have an optical input. Is there anything to be gained by using a D/A between the B2 optical output and my Rotel. I was reading somewhere in the Brennan dialogue that that might improve sound quality (looking for the Holy Grail) but my gut feeling is that it will not.

Thanks again
PeterK

Daniel Taylor

Jul 26, 2020, 3:15:29 PM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 2:12:30 PM UTC-4, peter k wrote:
what are you like on D/A conversion. My Rotel amp (now long in the tooth but working well) does not have an optical input. Is there anything to be gained by using a D/A between the B2 optical output and my Rotel. I was reading somewhere in the Brennan dialogue that that might improve sound quality (looking for the Holy Grail) but my gut feeling is that it will not.

That depends on your ears.  If you are sensitive enough to appreciate the quality of a Rotel amp, then you should probably get a DAC that is of near the same quality.  I have my B2 fed via HDMI to my Onkyo A/V receiver which has internal D/A processing, and it sounds fine to me.  However, I was not happy with the sound of the B2's internal amp driving speakers directly.  I have not tried the analog line output connection to an external amp, but I suspect that it would fall somewhere in between.  If you've tried the line output to your Rotel and are happy with it, you can save yourself some money by not buying a DAC.  If you are a serious audiophile, then you'd know better than I what will make you happy.

Fred Hopper

Jul 26, 2020, 10:28:13 PM7/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter

I have mt B2 connected to my old, much loved Quad amp system and ELS speakers. I am a bit elderly now but I DID notice a distinct mains his/hum when using just the wired Aux out port from the B2 to the Quad.
I therefore got a simple (not expensive) - (High Grade - DAC Digital SPDIF Toslink to Analog Stereo Audio L/R Converter Adapter - Optical Cable and Power Cable included) off Amazon
I connected that between the B2 and Quad and the difference in sound was amazing.
HOWEVER
please note that when using the optical output from the B2, the "adjustable volume" control on the Brennan User interface will have no effect, you have to control the volume using your Amp's volume controls. (This means you can not control the volume from your chair)

The loss of this volume control is not a fault - it is a result of the fact that what is going down the optical cable is DIGITAL not analog.

Regarding your marathon trying to "rip" your audio tapes into the B2 - I can't help as I have not had the need to convert analogue music.
I can see your reluctance to move your tape deck up to your computer but quite honestly, while audio recording may be supported by the B2, I do not think it was designed with this in mind as a primary goal - the interface steps to achieve this are cumbersome.
As others have said - with your goal of converting your music collection in mind - your EASIEST path to achieving this would be to use Audacity (its free) on your computer.

I would also recommend that you turn on the B2 NAS function and use your computer's "File Explorer" to directly see what is on the B2's HDD.....all the music is stored in folders and you can see (and rename /move) them directly from the PC. (remember to do a B2 scandisk afterwards). The file structure for your music on the HDD is published on the Brennan Web pages.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PMB

Jul 27, 2020, 5:12:32 AM7/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter k,

Concerning recording - to achieve track 01, track 02, etc do you stop and start recording between each track - otherwise my understanding is you get one continuous recording per side?

NAS, as Fred suggests, maybe a better way to edit the recordings - it will allow you to create a new Album folder, rename moved the tracks (after they have been to the HDD) and move them to the new folder.

I think the official way to exit Aux/Recording mode is to press the front control to exit and then again to confirm.

Paul
Brennan Support.

peter k

Aug 16, 2020, 1:35:22 PM8/16/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi again
I've been persisting with recording some cassettes to the B2 using the Aux Line In. I've had a fair degree of success. Except for the usual problem of old sticky cassettes giving the old wow and flutter. Given up on those.
I am now trying (my wife would say - very trying!) to copy some vinyl. I succeeded in recording my first album The Cream of Eric Clapton. But when I come to play back the level is
very low, barely moving off the bottom of the Vu meter.
I have taken my feed from the pre-amp output of my amp.
a) is it correct that the amp volume control only affects the power amp stage?
b) I can take an output from the amp h/phone socket, then I can adjust the output level.Which leads to my next query....
c) How can I monitor the level? The Vu meter function only works on playback.(don't see the point of that- my ears do that job - someone can wise me up on that one).
I swear that once when I was recording from the cassette earlier there was an occasion when the Vu was showing recording level and I could tweak the h/phone output to get to a working level. But no more...
Any ideas?
PeterK

Daniel Taylor

Aug 16, 2020, 2:01:29 PM8/16/20
to Brennan Forum
It is my understanding that the volume control controls the output of the pre-amp.  When I feed the pre-amp output of my receiver to my computer for analog recording, I have to set the volume much louder than when I'm driving the speakers with the amp stage.  Remember that the volume control is an attenuator - it only reduces the volume from what is normally thought of as line level.

PMB

Aug 17, 2020, 8:05:39 AM8/17/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter k,

I would expect the 'Preamp' output will be affected by the unit's volume control and that a 'Tape' output is at a fixed level (usually).

As far as I know the VU meter only works on playback.

Paul
Brennan Support.