B2 and a DAC

John Barlow

Jan 14, 2022, 12:29:35 PM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
I currently use my B2 directly into a pair of Brennan speakers - an arrangement that suits my listening needs. I have been given a Topping D10 DAC - would there be any advantage to me in using this or would I also need to add an external amp as well.
Thankyou

JFBUK

Jan 14, 2022, 2:06:08 PM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

I think that the D10 only has a USB input so you would not be able to connect it directly to the B2

Whether you will hear any improvement in sound quality with an external DAC is subjective but a lot of B2 users have noticed improvements with an external DAC.

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2022, 6:54:55 PM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi

Regarding this bit of your question " would I also need to add an external amp as well"
The B2's optical output is digital the and what the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) does is to convert this digital data stream (1's and 0's) into an analog waveform.
The DAC itself is not an amplifier and the analog output from a DAC would need to be amplified to drive a speaker. However some DAC units do have a built in headphone amplifier (and or a Bluetooth transmitter).
The answer to your question is therefore "yes".

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Jan 14, 2022, 7:50:45 PM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Many of us feed the B2's digital output to an AV receiver (or integrated amp) which these days usually has a decent or better DAC on board.

I compared the sound of the B2 feeding a pair of speakers wired directly, with the analog output feeding an old, low powered stereo receiver driving the same speakers, and greatly preferred the latter arrangement.  However, now I'm feeding the HDMI output to a modern AV receiver and am even happier with the sound.

Eccles

Jan 15, 2022, 1:14:21 PM1/15/22
to Brennan Forum
I used tun my B2 direct to the speakers but after a while I found the volume wasn't really that loud. I ended up buying a small amplifier (Tangent Ampster BT2 ) and I found this really 'filled out' the sound and the volume really improved.