USB Output to Yamaha Receiver USB Input

Marty Lake

Aug 12, 2020, 10:30:07 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi guys,

I just picked up a B2 and was hoping that I could use its USB A or C to feed my Yamaha receiver's USB input.  I tried it out, but could not hear any music coming out of the Yamaha receiver/speakers.  Is there a setting within the B2 that I need to adjust.  I looked through the setup menus, but didn't see anything jumping out that I could adjust.

I appreciate any help.

As a backup plan, I have an optical cable on order, but was hoping that the USB would also be an option.

Thanks,

Marty

john Henrick

Aug 12, 2020, 10:41:27 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
No sound over usb just optical or speakers / Bluetooth

Marty Lake

Aug 12, 2020, 11:51:17 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks John

Peter Lowham

Aug 12, 2020, 11:57:51 AM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Marty,

I think that both the Yamaha and B2 USB sockets are 'master' sockets (the B2 USBs definitely are) and therefore should not be connected 'back to back'. You run the risk of damaging the USB sockets electrically as they are both supplying 5 volts output, which is not a good situation.

The only devices that should be connected to these 'master' units are USB 'slave' devices, such as USB HDDs, memory stick, bluetooth dongles, wifi dongles, keyboards, etc.

In any case, the B2s do not supply audio output from the USB sockets.

Regards,
Peter.

Marty Lake

Aug 12, 2020, 2:12:45 PM8/12/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter...I'll now have to confirm that they still working and be sure not to connect them anymore.

PMB

Aug 13, 2020, 3:18:58 AM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Marty,

The Optical out on the B2 shares the same socket as the Line Out and uses a 'mini TOSLink connector'. If you already have a standard TOSLink cable . mini adapters are available -

AudioQuest Toslink/Mini-Optical Adapter Converts full-size Toslink ...

Also if you don't have a spare optical input on your existing equipment, I understand that optical switch units are available.

Paul
Brennan Support.

lak...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2020, 9:15:30 AM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul for the added information.  I have a 3.5 to TOSLink cable on order and should arrive today.  I confirmed that my USB ports are working so thank goodness I didn't damage anything.  Also thanks for the info about the optical switch.  Since my Yamaha only has one optical in, I need to pick up a switch so that I can utilize multiple components with it.

I appreciate everyone's help.  This is a great forum!

Marty

PMB

Aug 13, 2020, 4:46:45 PM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Marty,

This one from Amazon - link - is a passive switch, no power required. They do list other types, some with a remote control. You need one that is 2 (or more) in and 1 out.

Paul
Brennan Support.

lak...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2020, 10:12:46 PM8/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul...I did a quick search earlier and did see some powered ones.  I like the one you shared and will check it out.

Thanks again,
Marty