Restrictions on file and folder names when importing from USB

Dick Cooper

Feb 26, 2018, 8:16:24 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Importing from USB, B2 failed to import files or folders with periods (full stops) in them (e.g. "P.S. I Love You" in folder "Please Please Me" and all of folder "Past Masters, Vol.1") [no quotes, obviously].

Removing the periods enabled importing. Strangely, after renaming the folder "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" to "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", all the tracks including "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (with a period in it) imported OK.

Is there a workaround or do I have to search through my music collection and rename anything with a full stop before importing (and how could I search for them, as all .mp3 files inevitably have a period in the filename?)

Are there any other prohibited characters?

(software version Feb 23 2018)
Dick Cooper

Dick Cooper

Feb 26, 2018, 9:48:05 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
... more info on when embedded periods cause problems:

Song "Sgt. Pepper etc" imports OK
Song "P.S. I Love you" won't import

have tried other tracks and if there's a space after each period, track or album will load; if period is followed by another letter then track is ignored. Looks like a bug.

Dick Cooper

Feb 26, 2018, 10:12:08 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
... and now for some more news:

looking at the B2 on my network to try to help dignose the problem, I see that the files and folders I was missing such as "P.S. I Love You" or "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely etc" are actually on the B2, but neither the Web UI nor the Search via Remote control will find them.

Just tried renaming R.E.M. folder via the network to REM and although it saves OK over the network I can't see their albums on the B2.

I'm going to stop setting up my playlists now because I sense I'm going to be installing a software release soon and then reloading all my music, which will be so much faster than trying to find the embedded periods.

David Gardner

Feb 26, 2018, 6:57:37 PM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
When you renamed via the network did you then run scan disk on the b2? I think it needs that to see any changes made via the network.

Dick Cooper

Feb 27, 2018, 7:06:47 AM2/27/18
to Brennan Forum
At the risk of sounding like a crazy person, I don't BELIEVE it!

Not only did Scan Disk (1) fix the problem of not being able to see renamed albums (well, of, course, only someone like me would not have thought of that...) but also (2) I can now see albums and tracks ("P.F. Sloan", "C.T.A. 102") that I'm sure I couldn't see after I just loaded them. I don't understand (2) but the problem is now fixed. Head-scratching time.

Many thanks for the advice

PMB

Mar 2, 2018, 3:21:18 AM3/2/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dick,

After renaming or editing track names, artists etc you need to do a Scan Disk to rebuild the B2's music index with the changes.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Brennan Support

Mar 7, 2018, 5:18:56 AM3/7/18
to Brennan Forum
Hello Dick

Martin here - thanks for that excellent report - I like it when there are concrete examples.

I've added it to my bug/wish list I am sure the import function could handle this better.

Martin

Dick Cooper

Mar 8, 2018, 6:56:02 AM3/8/18
to Brennan Forum
OK, here's another update on the filename importing thing. I had a folder of lots of Christmas Carols thrown together from various free CDs, which had filenames like "01 Once in Royal David's City.mp3", "01 Away in a Manger.mp3", "01 Silent Night.mp3", "02 Good King Wenceslas.mp3" etc, and although Import From USB imported them all onto the hard disk as viewed from the computer, the Web UI and the front panel display could see only one mp3 starting "01 ", one mp3 starting "02 " and so on.

Scan Disk, which seems to fix everything else, did not fix this.

I've now renamed the files to fix the problem, but this seems like an anomaly (or maybe a bug).

Dick Cooper

PMB

Mar 9, 2018, 2:56:01 AM3/9/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dick,

You mentioned you 'renamed' the files to fix the problem. Please give an example of the changes you made.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Dick Cooper

Mar 9, 2018, 8:09:07 AM3/9/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul

I renamed "01 Once in Royal David's City.mp3", "01 Away in a Manger.mp3", "01 Silent Night.mp3" to "101 Once in Royal David's City.mp3", "201 Away in a Manger.mp3", "301 Silent Night.mp3" etc

Dick Cooper