Backup device advice

Steve Macquire

Jan 28, 2022, 6:09:01 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
HI all

This is a newbie question, but can anyone advise on a hard drive or USB stick that will work with a B2 please?
Currently I have ripped just over 700 cds and at a guess I've still got approximately  250 to 300 left to if that helps at all.
I havd tried to find the Freecom HD that's recommended  on the Brennan website but it's no longer available
Many thanks in advance
Steve

Daniel Taylor

Jan 28, 2022, 6:42:47 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Most any brand of USB disk should do fine.  Just watch out for these factors:
1) the disk must have enough capacity to hold everything that's on the B2.  Check the Status window in the WebUI to see how much space is used.
2) the disk must be legitimate.  There are an abundance of fake USB sticks out there, mostly on eBay.  Buy from a reputable dealer.
3) the disk must be formatted as FAT32.  No other format will work.  The B2 can format the disc for you, and that is the preferred way to do it.

If you need further elaboration on any of those points, just ask.

Peter Lowham

Jan 28, 2022, 8:29:47 AM1/28/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Steve,

For this exercise I have assumed that you will have 1000 CDs ripped to FLAC format.

1000 CDs will require approximately 260 GB of disk space and a full Export backup of this will take about 10 hours to complete.

The 'Export' function is incremental so once you run the first Export, then the next one will only backup any artists, albums and tracks that have been added or changed since the previous run.

Regards,
Peter.