Downloaded flac albums problem

Shawn Rosvold

May 11, 2021, 12:47:43 PM5/11/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

I am running into a problem with quite a number of the albums I have downloaded and then tried to upload to my B2.

For example, I have downloaded the first Creedence Clearwater Revival album. When I try to upload it to my B2, it gets stuck on cut 3, Suzie Q. It reaches 64% and just sits there. Then I get an error message saying the cut could not be loaded.

I have tried loading the cut by itself, same thing happens. I have gone into the song properties and stripped all the non relevant information from each song. That didn't help. The cut plays fine using VLC.

The other thing I have noticed is that these downloaded albums take a very long time to upload compared the CDs I have ripped onto my computer and then uploaded to the B2.

Any ideas?

Mark Fishman

May 11, 2021, 6:32:49 PM5/11/21
to Brennan Forum
What is the sampling rate and word size of the downloaded albums? A CD is at 44.1k samples per second and 16 bits; downloaded tracks can be at those specs, 48ksps, 96, 192, and have word sizes of 16, 20, 24 bits or more.

The B2 is happiest at 16/44.1k, and will convert anything else to those specs when playing anyway. It's been known to have problems with some higher rate files.

PMB

May 12, 2021, 4:12:41 AM5/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi sros,

There's another thread running discussing uploading music - the conclusion is a file size over 200MB fails to upload. I'll ask Martin B about this.

Meanwhile try using a USB memory stick or HDD to transfer the Album. Or use NAS mode to copy the Album to the B2's HDD.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Shawn Rosvold

May 12, 2021, 7:19:29 AM5/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark and Paul,

Thanks for responding.

I am downloading these albums as .rar files. That's how the site provides them. I have no idea what the bitrate or sample sizes are. I use 7 Zip to open them.

I think I found a solution. I tried using AVS4YOU to convert the unzipped flacs to 16/44.1 flacs, then uploading them to the B2. So far, it seems to be working, and the upload times are as fast as CDs that I ripped to my computer.

How can I find out the bitrate or sample size of these downloaded files?

Thanks,

Shawn

Daniel Taylor

May 12, 2021, 8:20:39 AM5/12/21
to Brennan Forum
On my Windows 7 computer, the bitrate and sampling rate are available in the file's Properties.

Mark Fishman

May 12, 2021, 8:28:07 AM5/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Daniel's suggestion usually works on Windows 10 also.
If that doesn't help, VLC should be able to tell you (while playing them), or maybe Windows Media Player can do it.

Shawn Rosvold

May 12, 2021, 8:53:33 AM5/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, everyone! The support from this group is astoundingly terrific.