How can I tell if, when ripping cd's, I am using the on-board track list,or the more up-to-date one on the internet, please ?

Ian Barber

Oct 20, 2021, 12:34:31 PM10/20/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

When ripping cd's it would seem to be preferable to use the Internet listing facilities, which are likely to be more up-to-date than the one already loaded on the B2. So, how can I make sure that I am using both the on-board list and the Internet listings, please ?
I have uploaded some 3,000+ tracks,so far and not many have failed to be identified on the 'lookup', mostly some of the much older music tracks ( 70's,60's etc ) on more recent cd's..
Following advice on here, I am limiting myself to only uploading 30-40 albums at a time , which is usually 300-450 tracks. While the uploading varies in time taken, the compressing to FLAC does appear to be taking approx 1 minute on average per track. I have never done this before( the compressing to FLAC) so is this about right for the B2 using the on-board cd drive, please ?
Many thanks  Ian

PMB

Oct 21, 2021, 4:14:55 AM10/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

Compression is used to save hard disk (or SSD) space allowing you to store more CDs on the B2 (and BB1). The compression process is relatively slow, perhaps a little faster than 1 minute per track but it will vary, which is why we recommend ripping 20-30 CDs at a time, as this gives the B2 time to compress these overnight.

It sounds like your B2 is working as it should.

Paul
Brennan Support.