Connected SPDIF, now HDMI doesn't work

David Ross

Nov 22, 2020, 9:11:25 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hello all.

I was connected through HDMI to my sound system receiver and everything was great!  I wanted to also connect to my bt headphones in other rooms so I connected a bt transmitted through SPDIF and again... it was great.  Then next time I try to listen through my HDMI/receiver and I get nothing.  I've scoured the forum and thjough there are similar issues, I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue.  All the tips I saw related to making both line out and speakers work (Jack sense off etc...) have not solved my issue.  I can still hear through headphones as long as I uncheck "Audio on HDMI" on the web UI on my PC (why the same options aren't available on mobile UI I don't get, but I suppose that's another post).

Anyone have an idea why my HDMI out is suddenly non operational?

Thank you!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 9:31:50 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave

Just a though but have you tried (using the front panel and big nob) menus Settings> Maintenance Menu >Advanced Menu> HDMI Fix (Loads software to fix no sound issue with some HDMI devices.),
If not I would give it a go?

Fred.

David Ross

Nov 22, 2020, 10:28:10 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Thank you for the suggestions. Alas, I tried it and no change.  Even after disconnecting the SPDIF, re-starting.... still no change.

PMB

Nov 23, 2020, 3:15:24 AM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

There is a setting called 'Audio on HDMI (TV)' which is accessed via the web UI page - click the COG and check if there is a tick in the 'Audio on HDMI (TV)' box.

If selected i.e. ticked (HDMI on), then the speaker outputs, Line Out Out and SPDIF are disabled i.e. it's one or the other.

Paul
Brennan Support.

David Ross

Nov 23, 2020, 3:51:49 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
When that's ticked it does disable the headphones, but no sound through HDMI either.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 23, 2020, 4:15:04 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
If you disconnect the Toslink cable from the B2 and then check the box for Audio on HDMI (TV), does the HDMI work then?  If not, cycle power (waiting 30 seconds while off) and then try again.

David Ross

Nov 23, 2020, 7:03:17 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks all for the input and help.  I do now have sound through my receiver/HDMI.  (However, I am now having problems getting the headphones to work again but I think that's my issue and I'm sure I'll figure it out).  Turns out the problem likely was with the receiver, or at least some strange communication issue between B2 and receiver.  Somehow when I plugged in the SPDIF bt transmitter, my receiver settings for the B2 input somehow changed from HDMI to optical.  Receiver has 2 optical inputs but I only use 1, for my TV so maybe my receiver interpreted the signal from the SPDIF as digital from TV since it came from the same device as the HDMI?  Anyway what tipped me off was when I powered down the B2, upon powering it back on,  my TV turned on.  No reason for that to happen so I figured receiver setting were the culprit.  I changed the B2 input back to HDMI on the receiver and BINGO!  I have music again.  Oh, one other strange note, I un-ticked Audio on HDMI on the Web UI after solving the initial issue, and guess what.... I still got sound through HDMI with it un-ticked.

PMB

Nov 24, 2020, 3:22:07 AM11/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you have HDMI working again.

Perhaps the 'Audio on HDMI (TV)' setting is not being received by the B2 - try toggling it on and off a couple of times - it definitely switches between speakers/Line Out/Optical and HDMI on my setup.

Paul
Brennan Support,

Daniel Taylor

Nov 24, 2020, 7:33:56 AM11/24/20
to Brennan Forum
HDMI can be finicky.  I use HDMI to my A/V receiver.  At one time, I was under the impression that either my B2 or my receiver had to be powered on first, but I can't remember which.  But that later turned out to not be the case.  So whenever I don't get music from my B2, I cycle power first on my receiver, and then if that doesn't work, I cycle power on the B2.  I think it all has to do with HDCP handshaking, and the B2's behaviour is not as robust as with other equipment I have.