Router change = worse wifi signal

Joe Katz

Jun 7, 2021, 5:07:37 PM6/7/21
to Brennan Forum
As I'm not especially tech-savvy, I hope someone can provide an answer. I recently switched to a mesh router by Taotronics model TT-ND001 AC3000. With my previous router (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000), I had wifi signals to the B2 ranging from mid -30s to mid -40s, i.e. good. With the Taotronics in the same place the Netgear was, and with the B2 in the same place as before, I get -50s to -60s, i.e., not so good.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Daniel Taylor

Jun 7, 2021, 7:55:00 PM6/7/21
to Brennan Forum
That's curious.  My first thought was that you should go to the dealer where you bought the router and explain the situation.  I think it would be worth it to try a different router of the same brand and model.  Or you could just exchange it for a more well known (aka reputable) brand.  Of course, that's your call.

Here's the standard advice to improve the WiFi signal with the B2:
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
You can buy a new WiFi dongle that has an antenna.  Look for one that has the RT5370 chipset.

PMB

Jun 8, 2021, 4:40:04 AM6/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joek,

Radio waves have peaks and troughs of signal level so simply moving and/or turning the B2 and/or the router may improve the WiFi signal.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Joe Katz

Jun 8, 2021, 8:40:22 AM6/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks, Daniel and Paul. I moved the dongle to USB C and voila! Now seeing -30s to -40s. Thanks again!