MPC or MUSEPAC

Phil Huddleston

Mar 1, 2022, 11:54:39 AM3/1/22
to Brennan Forum
I was wandering of the B2 could be modified in any way to include MPC codec?

Daniel Taylor

Mar 1, 2022, 1:34:40 PM3/1/22
to Brennan Forum
I thought I was aware of all the most common, or popular codecs.  That's a new one on me.  So my educated guess is that it won't be added.

Can you make a case for it?

When I Googled "MPC codec" what I found seems to say that it is not a codec as such, but rather a pack of codecs, which includes things like OGG, MP3, AAC, and some video codecs, two of which are already on the B2.  If you have different, additional information, please tell us.

Phil Huddleston

Mar 16, 2022, 1:17:38 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Musepack is an audio compression format with a strong emphasis on high quality. It's not lossless, but it is designed for transparency, so that you won't be able to hear differences between the original wave file and the much smaller MPC file.

It's a bit like the play-off between  Betamax and VHS. VHS won out in the end but mayber it was not the best?  I asked about this because most of my music is compressed as mpc. A codec is available. Foobar2000 has it and is incorporated in my Logitech Squeezebox (which is caput and hence the interest in the B2)

It would be great if the codec cold be added.

PMB

Mar 17, 2022, 4:31:04 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi huddles,

It is very unlikely that the MPC codec will be added to the B2 so you may have to consider converting to FLAC - which is a lossless compression.

Paul
Brennan Support.