No internet?

Andrew Smith

Nov 26, 2021, 6:47:18 AM11/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello,
Can any kind person tell me if the B2 can store CDs on its hard disc drive while not connected to the internet?
Thanks!

Rearwing

Nov 26, 2021, 6:49:50 AM11/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, yes it can, but you may have to enter the cd details manually.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2021, 8:12:59 AM11/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Yes it is important to realise that the "name/title" of a CD is not actually stored on it so the CD reader can not use the CD itself to get Artist, album, track name information. The CD reader analyses the CD content and then goes to a database and compares this information in the database to recall a number of close match options for the name of the CD. Once selected it uses this information to populate the Artist/Album/Track names as it rips.
You can load an (unfortunately old and now frozen) CD database onto the B2 so that it can look at this when not connected to the internet but for best results a live internet connection is needed so that the Brennan can look things up in external,  internet based databases.
Alternatively you can enter this information by hand from the front controls on the unit or from the Web UI (assuming you have a WiFi Router (with or without an internet connection).

Fred

Aston Rum

Nov 28, 2021, 4:25:04 PM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
On this subject Fred, having read your answer and understanding it, this is surely a problem when using an external CD drive to rip CD's?  As the drive connects into USB C, this necessitates the removal of the dongle, hence removing the internet connection whilst ripping. When I do this, I definitely lose the internet connection, but I do still access a database that is 75% able to identify.. Is there a recommended better configuration so I can keep connected at the same time?
Thanks

Dennis

Nov 28, 2021, 4:45:57 PM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
>>>As the drive connects into USB C, this necessitates the removal of the dongle, hence removing the internet connection whilst ripping.

Not necessarily. The external drive can be connected to a B2 either USB A or USB C, and the WiFi adaptader  can simply be connected to the other USB port.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2021, 5:08:14 PM11/28/21
to Brennan Forum
Also the B2 may contain an (old) copy of a CD database. If you look at the menu system there are commands for downloading/updating this but the source is no longer being updated.
The DB is needed if the B2 is not connected to the internet.I
Also both/either USB drive (A orC) can be used to connect USB devices, what is connected is not fixed. However USB A on the B2 has more power to it.
Fred

Aston Rum

Nov 29, 2021, 8:21:26 AM11/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks everyone for the updates. I shall try the different configurations and see. Just out of interest, I still get quite a lot of false starts when ripping, and have to eject from the external drive and re-load before it will connect. Sometimes the disc just skates, other times it seems to catch but just hangs, etc. It isn't the external drive  as I bought two and they both do it. I'm treating it like a quirk, and try not to get frustrated when ripping a batch. I'm up to around 600 now, and the same amount to go roughly. I still say that slowly with gaps in between rips, and no more than 10 before allowing uninterrupted compressing yields results.