B2 Setup puzzle

William Ellison

Nov 29, 2021, 7:08:38 PM11/29/21
to Brennan Forum
A very basic question - I'm just setting up my sparkling new B2, and I'm mystified by the provision of a short cable (about 80mm long) with a USB plug at one end and a socket at the other. Some kind of adapter? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the Quick Start Guide. An explanation would be gratefully accepted. Thanks, Bill Ellison.

Peter Lowham

Nov 29, 2021, 7:21:13 PM11/29/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bill,

The short cable is a USB adapter cable which enables you to change the orientation of the Wifi aerial if required.  It is not mentioned in the Quick Start Guide because it is a recent change caused by a world wide shortage of some electronic components, with the Wifi dongle being one of those recent changes.  If your Wifi connection works without the short cable then that is fine; just put the cable away in safe storage in case you might need it in the future..

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Nov 29, 2021, 7:21:40 PM11/29/21
to Brennan Forum
This is the first I've heard of that.  Such a thing was not included with my B2.  From your description, it seems to be a short USB extension cable.  It could be useful for either the WiFi dongle or the Bluetooth dongle, if either of those applications has trouble with signal strength.

William Ellison

Nov 30, 2021, 6:19:11 AM11/30/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter and Daniel,

Thank you both for your prompt replies and explanations. Bill.