MAC Address issue

Pat Martindale

Jul 16, 2021, 2:52:28 AM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi all,
Having recently upgraded my home router, I want to re-assign a fixed (reserved) DHCP address to one of my Brennan B2 units.

The B2 is connected to the network  via ethernet cable. The network can "see" the B2 and I can access the B2 via the "app" or web UI using the IP address on the front panel (ending 1.105)..  The router cannot detect the B2 connection in the DHCP reservations list, so I have to input the information (MAC address and IP ) manually.

When I look for the MAC address on the B2 ("Info" button the arrow up), all I see is  "WiFiMAC" (without the quotes) the rest of the line of text is blank.  No MAC address is displayed.   I tried a reboot but still no display of MAC address
Two questions.. One, is this normal?  and two, how can I find my B2's MAC address?

Any and all help appreciated.  Thanks.

Pat

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2021, 4:23:10 AM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Pat

The best way to get the MAC address (there will be one of the WiFi dongle and one for the Ethernet - PLEASE DO NOT USE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME WHEN USING YOUR B2 - if using Ethernet UNPLUG the WiFi Dongle!.) is to SSH into the B2
here is a thread explaining how

Fred

Peter Lowham

Jul 16, 2021, 4:23:57 AM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Pat,

What you are seeing is normal B2 behaviour.  The hardwired ethernet MAC address is not displayed, whereas the wireless MAC address is dispalyed if the wireless dongle is fitted.  I would classify it as a minor bug.

The B2's MAC address should be shown in the router when the B2's IP address is selected.  What is the make and model of your router?

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2021, 4:31:17 AM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum
To get an SSH to your B2 (using the IP number - which you do know!), you need to download (for Windows) a program called PUTTY.

Pat Martindale

Jul 16, 2021, 1:54:44 PM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred, Peter,
Thank you.. I am reassured that the "missing" MAC address is normal for a B2 on a wired connection. The Router is Zyxel XMG3927.   I have just switched to fibre to the premises broadband and this was supplied by my new ISP.

The Wifi dongle is not being used at the same time.

I am familiar with how to SSH into my router and I will have a look into doing that over the weekend.  I am on a Linux system so it isn't difficult.

Thank you to you both for your help..

Peter Lowham

Jul 16, 2021, 3:14:10 PM7/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Pat,

When you get to the command line in the B2, use the following command:

#ifconfig | grep eth0

The '|' is the pipe character.

Regards,
Peter.

Pat Martindale

Jul 17, 2021, 4:07:02 AM7/17/21
to Brennan Forum
Once again, thanks Peter and Fred.. Job done.