B2 line out

ricardo h

Apr 8, 2022, 1:26:06 PM4/8/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
Is the line out controlled by the volume control, i.e. if you connect your amp via the line out can you use the remote to change the volume ( on the B7 the recommendation was to connect the amp using the headphone jack outlet but this connection does not appear to exist on the B2)?
Richard

Daniel Taylor

Apr 8, 2022, 1:32:27 PM4/8/22
to Brennan Forum
The Line Output and the headphone jack are the same thing on the B2.  And yes, you can control the volume on that output.  However, to get a strong enough signal out of it as a Line Output, you have to turn up the volume pretty high.  Experiment with the settings between the B2 and your amplifier to get the right range.

knights...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2022, 2:54:54 PM4/9/22
to Brennan Forum
It would be nice to be able to change the JackSense via the Web Interface.  I dont always want to have to use my externally connected amp.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 9, 2022, 7:28:47 PM4/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I just discovered this in my inbox:

Thanks for clearing that up. The "line out" on my old B7, that I am thinking of replacing, has a powerful output compared to the dedicated "headphone outlet". My amp has a "tape" input sensitivity of 180mv (the Brennan is effectively replacing the tape deck).
Richard

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2022, 7:50:08 PM4/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard

While the B2 Headphone/Line out connection is not very "loud", the SAME socket also acts as a digital/OPTICAL socket.
I and others on the Forum prefer to connect out legacy amplifiers to the B2 using this, either directly where the amplifier has am optical input or indirectly using a small DAC unit if the amplifier can only take analogue input.
We find that the Optical connection is audially better but there is a downside in that using Optical there is no "volume" control on the output (because it is a digital signal not analogue).
here is a link to an inexpensive DAC (I use something similar and this is fine for me)

but you can go more expensive - there are discussion on what is best here on the Forum if you look.

Hope this helps

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2022, 7:52:47 PM4/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi knights,

I am not sure I understand your issue - what are you trying to do that requires you to change your JackSense ?

Fred

ricardo h

Apr 10, 2022, 6:07:54 AM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Fred,  Thank you for the link and advice about using a DAC.  It does not give me much confidence in the B2 if a £10 DAC performs notably better than the DAC that surely is incorporated into the B2 device to provide analogue signal from MP3 media.
Richard.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 10, 2022, 6:17:07 AM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,
Once you get everything setup with your B2 connected to your amp with an analog cable, it will be a simple matter to obtain a low cost DAC to compare the difference in sound.  If the DAC improves things, money well spent.  If it does not, a quick return should get things back to normal.

Daniel Taylor

Apr 10, 2022, 6:19:57 AM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Richard,
I just noticed your reference to MP3 media.  Perhaps a greater improvement in sound quality can be had by converting your ripped CDs to FLAC., instead of MP3.  As you may know, MP3s actually discard data as part of their compression scheme.  FLAC retains full CD quality resolution.