Loud click sound when switching inputs.

JoeSoap

Jan 8, 2018, 11:29:18 AM1/8/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin,
Im playing the B2 through Bose 2.1 speaker system and getting a loud click sound when switching from hard drive to radio input, is this normal? also just a suggestion would it have been a good idea to put an on/off button on the unit? I just pull the power lead out of the back when I want to switch off as my mains socket is not very accessible.

Thanks

Joe

Everett Rantanen

Jan 8, 2018, 12:32:07 PM1/8/18
to Brennan Forum
I had just asked the question about putting a proper on/off switch on the unit, and the reply was there was no room on the unit to do it.

They wanted to keep it as small as possible.. A few of us use in-line switches that are available from amazon for a few bucks. They work well but remember to Save ( by pressing the play/stop  button  for a few seconds) before powering off.

Martin will be doing a firmware upgrade that will have a sleep mode, which will dim the display and put the hard drive to sleep so that should help.

I have a Sony receiver and do not notice any loud click when switching from radio to HDD.

James Wyatt

Jan 8, 2018, 4:32:03 PM1/8/18
to Brennan Forum
Amazon Link to Switches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D66D9PM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ANVISION 2-pack Black Male to Female DC Power Inline Cable with On Off Switch 5.5x2.1mm, No Need Soldering.

2pack dc power cables with on/off switch which turns devices(like led light etc) on and off
DC Connector: 5.5mm*2.1mm Barrel Plug
Through Current: up to 5A at 5-24V DC input. dont connect to AC device
Color: Black; Length:0.30m/1ft.
Suitable for any 5-24V low voltage led light or other electronic products, such as 3528 or 5050 led strip light,led light bar ect.

The B2 uses 24 volts, so this one works. There is another one out there for much lower voltage.

Peter Orr

Jan 10, 2018, 1:55:13 PM1/10/18
to Brennan Forum
For those interested in an in-line power switch incorporated in the power lead, I have just bought and used the ANVISION 2-pack Black Male to Female DC Power Inline Cable with On Off Switch 5.5x2.1mm. I used the Amazon link in this thread given by James Wyatt: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D66D9PM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have to buy two, so keep one as a spare. The cost was about £2.50 each. Unfortunately, the ones I received did not work straight out of the bag. "No need soldering" but "yes need trimming"!

The length of the 24V power lead connector that comes with the B2 is slightly longer than the one supplied by Amazon. The result is that the connector tip does not quite reach the internal mating part in the B2.The fix is simply to use a Stanley knife to cut away the plastic shroud to expose more of the negative conductor on the connector, thus enabling it to be inserted further in. I shaved off about 2 mm - quick and easy to do, there is plenty of connector encapsulated in the plastic so I just took a circular cut until I could feel the metal of the connector then sliced down the side of the connector to expose the additional metal. All worked fine once the mod had been made. This could be a tolerance thing - yours may work OK out of the bag.

NB don't cut yourself, not responsible for A&E transport and it's a long wait these days.

The result is a simple low-cost power on-off button, but remember to hold the Stop button so that the screen says Saving before switching off, or you may lose your last rip, or worse!

Brennan Support

Jan 12, 2018, 1:17:00 AM1/12/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Joe
Martin here - I'm on holiday at the moment but could you elaborate on the steps you take when you get the loud click.
Generally speaking I want to eliminate any speaker pops - but there may cases that have escaped my attention.
Martin

JoeSoap

Feb 19, 2018, 10:26:13 AM2/19/18
to Brennan Forum
Anyone using the line output for speakers and experiencing a loud 'pop' sound when switching tracks or stop/start or changing inputs on remote, Martin has suggested switching 'jack sense' setting to 'off' this seems to have solved the problem.