Warning HDD Read Only

James Boyden

Mar 4, 2022, 1:53:28 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I've had this message persistently.  Decided to follow these directions from Martin's web post:
  1. USB Functions > Export to C
  2. Settings > Maintenance > Stop NAS
  3. Settings > Maintenance > Advanced > Format HDD
  4. Turn off and on.
  5. USB Functions > Import from C
I've backed up the B2 & stopped NAS.  At step 3, when I press the button for Format HDD, I get the message "Read Only! Cannot make changes or load music."  How can I get around this to reformat the drive?
Thanks in advance.
Best,
Jim Boyden
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 2:46:57 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum

 Hi Jim,

Below is a set of instructions which should help you to complete the B2 internal HDD format.  There are additional steps here because others in the forum have had problems with completing a successful format.

How To Format A B2 Internal HDD

Firstly, do you have a backup (Export) of your music collection stored on a USD HDD or memory stick?  If you do, then I think that the way forwards is as described below in steps 1 to 8.

If you do not have a backup, can you rebuild your music collection by re-ripping all of your CDs?  (Very painful).

Assuming that you have a backup, then the best way of fixing this is to format the HDD, then 'Import' your collection back on to the B2 from the USB device.

1.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Stop NAS'

2.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use SD'

3a.  Power the B2 down, wait 30 seconds and power up.  (This step is important)

3b.  Leave the B2 idle for 30 minutes.  (This step is also important)

4.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Format HDD'

If at this point you see an error message on the front panel display, the it is is probable that the internal HDD has failed with a hardware fault.

If you see a message ‘Partitioning’ briefly followed by another message ‘Formating’ which should show for a time between approximately 1 and 3 minutes, depending on the capacity of the HDD, then the HDD is formatting and you should continue to step 5.

If ‘Formating’ disappears after a few seconds then the format has failed, then the above steps 3 and onwards should be repeated.  If the problem persists then the HDD is probably faulty.

5.  When the format has completed select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use HDD'

6.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Start NAS'

7.  Plug the USB backup device back into the B2

8.  Select ‘USB Functions’ --> 'Import from C’ (or ‘A’)

If the format fails after a couple of attempts then it is likely that the HDD has suffered a hardware failure.  In this case, contact Brennan through this Forum and request further assistance.

Regards,

Peter.

On Friday, 4 March 2022 at 19:14:31 UTC Daniel Taylor wrote:
What you need to do here (right before step 3) is to run the Use SD command (Maintenance menu).  That reboots to use the SD card as music source (but don't rip any CDs in that state).  You may have to run that command more than once to get it to take hold.  After boot-up, watch the front panel display to see that it says Source: SD card.

When you're done formatting the HDD, run the Use HDD command.

James Boyden

Mar 4, 2022, 2:51:17 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Never mind: I found and followed these instructions from 18 Feb. and they seem to have worked:

PMB
Feb 18, 2022, 4:23:31 AM
to Brennan Forum
Hi Bob,

Please see these instructions, from Peter Lowham -

1.  From the front panel, select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Stop NAS'

2.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use SD'

3.  Power the B2 down, wait 30 seconds and power up.  (This step is important)

4.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Advanced' --> 'Format HDD'

5.  When the format has completed select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Use HDD'

6.  Select 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'Start NAS'

Then your B2 will be ready to do the 'Import', all being well. If you are not using NAS, skip step 6.

James Boyden

Mar 4, 2022, 2:53:49 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello, and thanks much for your responses.  This is truly a useful and collegial forum.

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 2:57:12 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

You can tell if the 'Format  HDD' has worked by going into the WebUI and going into 'Settings & Status'.  The tracks, artists and album counts should all be zero.

Regards,
Peter.