BB1 Issues (2)

Gavin W

Nov 21, 2019, 2:23:32 PM11/21/19
to Brennan Forum
How can I make the BB1 appear as a NAS drive so that I can play files on it thru my Sonos? Your website shows how to do this on the B2 via Settings->Maintenance->Start NAS, but there is no 'Maintenance' option on my (BB1 app Tools?) Settings tab. Do I need to upgrade the app and/or the BB1?

john Henrick

Nov 21, 2019, 2:36:58 PM11/21/19
to Brennan Forum
On the BB1 itself maintenance web upgrade

Then maintenance start Nas

PMB

Nov 22, 2019, 3:08:12 AM11/22/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gavin,

Some menu options are only available on the BB1 unit itself. So using the top control on the BB1 do a Web Upgrade (Maintenance menu) and then Start NAS (Maintenance menu).

The BB1 needs to be visible on the computer/tablet/phone, you are running the Sonos app on, as a network drive. You then use the Sonos app to add the BB1 as a music library.

The Sonos app is in control of what's played.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Harry Read

Nov 27, 2019, 6:00:59 PM11/27/19
to Brennan Forum
The Sonos app asks for user name and password, which are root and brennan on B2 but these do not appear to work with BB1,

Gavin W

Nov 28, 2019, 12:12:57 AM11/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul, thanks for that. I've made the BB1 visible on the network but can't get the Sonos to connect with it. Please remind me exactly what to enter into the 'Add shared music folder' Sonos setting: I think that info - and for B2 not BB1 - was in another thread on this group, but I can't remember where!

Cheers,
Gavin.

Brennan Support

Nov 28, 2019, 4:00:55 AM11/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hello Gavin

Martin here - if you go to our website under the questions section (bit of a misnomer now) you will find a button on the left

NAS and Sonos

Here is the link

I think that has most of the the Sonos know how.

Martin

DEKF

Nov 28, 2019, 2:50:19 PM11/28/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi, first post.
Im tryinfg to my new bb1 as a nas to my sonos system. I've done the update, started nas, can see it as a shared network drive (using my imac) get all way thro but fail ON THE USERER NAME AND OR PASSWORD.
Ive tried root/brennan. So, is it a different password or is it something else do you think.
any suggestions please?
thanks Dave

PMB

Nov 29, 2019, 2:49:18 AM11/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi DEKF,

User name is  root  and the password is  brennan  .

I have just connected the BB1 to my laptop using these.

Paul
Brennan Support.

DEKF

Nov 29, 2019, 5:58:44 AM11/29/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your speedy response

Yes, I can connect the bb1 to my Imac like that as well and it shows up as a shared drive in the same way that my broadband hub does.
I can click on the music folder and see all the individual artist folders in there at the moment. Its looking as the BB1 in otherwords.
But I cant connect the bb1 to sonos via Music Library Setting using the same info -
Networked device using: Add music from your networked share = \\brennanbb1\Shared\Music with the same user and password.

Sonos was unable to add the music folder
Access to the shared folder //brennanbb1/Shared/Music is denied
check the username and password

Is this one for Sonos support perhaps?

Thanks again, Dave

Harry Read

Nov 29, 2019, 8:19:57 AM11/29/19
to Brennan Forum
This is exactly the problem I am having. I can transfer music from my iMac to the BB1 using the web but cannot get past the situation DEKF is describing

PMB

Dec 2, 2019, 7:10:45 AM12/2/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi DEKF,

Try the path name without the  /shared/  part i.e.   //brennanbb1/music. I didn't have  /shared/  in the path name when I last connected and think that is just an example name provided by Sonos.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Harry Read

Dec 2, 2019, 9:50:03 AM12/2/19
to Brennan Forum
I have just spent 1hr 45mins on the phone to Sonos tech support involving Teamviewer access. After all that the only thing they could suggest was that I should ask Brennan support whethersmb1 was activated on the BB1.
It seems this problem with sonos seeing the BB1 but being unable to access the contents after the root and brennan details have been input is going to run and run but unfortunately I bought the bB1 to use with my sonos system to replace hifi set up.
Can someone help.

PMB

Dec 3, 2019, 4:18:55 AM12/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Harry,

We are looking into to this and hope to reply soon.

Paul
Brennan Support.

DEKF

Dec 3, 2019, 1:20:19 PM12/3/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

I tried  //brennanbb1/music path on the music library - sonos - but came up with the same outcome after getting as far as the username: root - password: brennan

The bb1 shows up as a Shared drive, as it should, on my IMac as soon as its switched on
I can click Shared brennanbb1 and enter username: root - password: brennann which brings up the Music folder showing all the folders I have uploaded to the bb1 so far. If I wanted to I could click a music file at that point and play it through the mac. So, the mac is seeing the bb1, no problem.

Its the connection to sonos; seeing the bb1 as a nas - music library source - where the problem is.

Just to confirm. I would like to use the bb1 as a nas - not to play as a separate speaker as part of my sonos system.

Ive tried connecting via my sonos Ipad app with the same outcome - I've not tried using a pc because i dont have one.

Harry has been to sonos with the same problem and it doesnt look like they've come up with much.

Thanks . . Dave

PMB

Dec 4, 2019, 4:58:24 AM12/4/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

Please see the reply from MJB to Harry here.

Let us know if it helps you.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

Dec 5, 2019, 5:40:09 PM12/5/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

Just a few observations to make on this thread. However, I don't have a Sonos or an IMac, so this is a diagnosis from details given in this thread, with some analysis added.

1.  The NAS functionality for Brennan, Sonos and PC/IMac require 'SMB1.0' network protocol to be functional on each device.
1.  On the BB1, NAS is running correctly, as you can access the BB1 music files from your IMac so that is functioning on the BB1.
2.  When using a PC to set up the Sonos, NAS and Sonos work correctly, as this has been estabished in other posts.
3.  The Sonos is probably functioning correctly as it seems to supplied in 'firmware' inside the Sonos device.
4.  The error message looks to me to be a communication problem between the IMac and the Sonos from the error message in a previous post, the Sonos is attempting to talk to the IMac, but the IMac is not responding correctly to the Sonos device.
           "Sonos was unable to add the music folder
           Access to the shared folder //brennanbb1/Shared/Music is denied
          check the username and password"
5.  A previous post in this thread mentions that the problem also exists when using the Ipad.

The above would cause me to look very closely at the Apple devices, in particular at the Apple devices' SMB1.0 set up.

To give you a fuller picture, I use NAS extensively on my Windows PCs, BB1, B2, WD MyCloud, Buffalo, etc. and NAS worked without any issues until Windows 10 came along.  NAS stopped working after my Windows 10 upgrades, and I eventually found that Microsoft has disabled SMB1.0 as it is a known security risk.  I re-enabled SMB1.0 on Win10 and NAS is working again. I just make sure that my AV is always up to date, to offset the increased risk of virus attack.

I hope that this is of some use to you in resolving the problem.

Regards,
Peter.

DEKF

Dec 6, 2019, 12:33:31 AM12/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Good Morning Peter,

Thanks for your observations, its all very helpful to me in my quest for a IMac/Sonos/BB1/NAS set up.
I'm no Mac techie either but the following is an extract from Apple Support Web pages:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.6

If your Mac can't use NTLM to connect to a Windows server = BB1

When using NLTM credentials to connect to a Windows server, your Mac might report that there was a problem connecting to the server.

macOS Mojave and earlier might not be able to use NTLM credentials to connect to CIFS or SMB1 shares on a server that has received Microsoft Windows Server updates from 11 June 2019 or later. After entering your user name and password, an alert says that there was a problem connecting to the server, and to check the server name or IP address and then try again.

If you're sure that your user name and password are correct, use any of these solutions to connect successfully. If you need help, contact your system administrator.

Peter Lowham

Dec 6, 2019, 5:50:46 PM12/6/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi there,

Following your update above I have done a bit of resarch on the Internet with regard to OS X and SMB1.0.  It looks like there are various SMB problems within OS X because Apple re-implemented its own version of SMB following some dispute with the original provider of SMB.  This all suggests that the IMac/OS X is the source of the problem.

The attachment string seems to be as shown below, using 'smb:' as OS X appears to default to 'Apple File Protocol' (AFP)  if the connect string does not begin with 'smb:'
Try the string below and see if this works.

smb://ServerName/ShareName
Regards,
Peter.

DEKF

Dec 7, 2019, 5:46:01 AM12/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

Good morning and thank you again for the follow up info. Its quite a learning curve for me, an interesting one, never the less.

What do you think the actual string might look like for my setup : smb://brennanbb1/i'm not sure?
I'm not quite sure how you would enter the the string either.

I have found this on my IMac but not tried anything with it yet.
Go > Connect to Server from the Finder menu bar, then entering an smb:// address for the server. - persumably smb://brennanbb1 ?
maybe thats how you would enter the the string.

Regards . . Dave

Peter Lowham

Dec 7, 2019, 4:43:32 PM12/7/19
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

As a guess I woud try 'smb://brennanbb1/music'

Try that and see what happens.

Regards,
Peter.