Backing up B2 onto USB C

Ian A

Oct 29, 2020, 6:21:16 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Feeling very DUMB, that I must be missinmg something obvious.
I cannot get the machine to back up onto the 256Gb memory stick I got for the purpose. It is set to FAT32. Random play is OFF. I have used the stop/play button. Yet whatever I doit just copies the same albums over and over again.
What am I doing wrong?:

Daniel Taylor

Oct 29, 2020, 6:34:22 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
I think we might need a bit more information here.  Are you saying that it does not copy ALL the albums when you do the backup?  And every time you do it, it starts over with the same albums but does not finish?

One thing worth pointing out again, although probably not related to your problem:
The Backup command (with a capital B) is reserved for those who need backward compatibility with an old JB7 unit.  Otherwise the backup command to use is Export.  Often times, we use the word backup (lowercase b) generically, which can be misleading.  Normally, use the Export command (with companion command Import).

Back to your problem...  What version of software are you on?  Not too long ago, problems with the Export command were discovered and fixed in a recent version of software.  If you're not up to date, please do a Web Upgrade and then try the backup again.

Ian A

Oct 29, 2020, 6:47:27 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks. I should have said that I did read about the difference between Backup and Export. It is misleading, but I did try both to no effect. Basically I put a device in and tsrat. It copies a certain number of albums then when it gets full, it stops. So I put in a fresh memory stick and start - it copies exactly the same albums again.
I will now try the software as you suggest.
It's a shame because I think the B2 is excellent in terms of music reproduction and capacity - but heck! For anyone who isn't very familiar with the tech involved, it ain't half complicated!

Rik

Oct 29, 2020, 6:55:37 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
I don’t quite understand because if you’re putting in a different memory stick  the B2 will obviously start from the beginning and copy the same albums it did  to the first one.
Can you explain again.

Peter Lowham

Oct 29, 2020, 7:30:34 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

For an 'Export' to work correctly, the FULL Export must be completed on a single USB device.  So if your music collection is larger than the USB then the Export will not work.  I suspect that your music collection is larger than 256GB and therefore your 256GB memory stick is too small for the Export to complete.

An 'Export' cannot span multiple devices, so the fix for your issue is to purchase a USB device thar is is larger than your music collection.

Regards,
Peter.

Brian R

Oct 29, 2020, 7:32:32 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian
Have you proved that the 256Gb stick is what it claims to be and not an 8Gb stick in disguise? See Peter's thread for explanation.
Brian

Peter Lowham

Oct 29, 2020, 7:49:31 AM10/29/20
to Brennan Forum
Brian,

That's a good call.

@Ian; if your music collection is smaller than 256GB, then th USB stick could be a fake one.

Here is the link to help you find out if that is the case:

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Oct 30, 2020, 5:05:51 AM10/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian A,

You can check how much memory your backup device requires by checking the Stats - press INFO on the remote to see these on the B2 or click the COG symbol on the web UI to see them there. The 'Used:' number is the minimum size the backup device needs to be.

You cannot split a backup (Export) across multiple devices.

Paul
Brennan Support.