Importing from C

Andy Snapper

Apr 26, 2021, 4:39:28 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Oh dear, just one day later I am coming back to shout for help!
I have my backup drive connected to my B2 and rather than selecting Export to C to backup my latest additions I have inadvertently pressed the Import from C.

I think I have paused it but I do not seem able to break out of the command of importing. I do not know how to extricate myself , neither am I sure how much will be messed up. Can anybody help?

Andy

Andy Snapper

Apr 26, 2021, 5:01:33 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
I now very much doubt that I have paused anything as I can now see that the description of entries is changing on the screen. There is a red light flashing. But given that there was nothing wrong with anything on the B2 will the Import command overwrite everything or will 'import' see that each of these files is already there? Do I just have to leave it to get on and do it now that it is running?
Andy

Peter Lowham

Apr 26, 2021, 5:54:02 PM4/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Andy,

If the 'Export' is fairly up to date and is an image of the B2 as it was then the 'Import' is not likely to have caused any damage.  The 'Import' operates in 'Overwrite' mode, so it will have have probably just overwritten what was already there with the same data.  If the 'Import' is interrupted then the remaining music collection on the B2 should be OK.

Press and hold  the 'Play/Stop' button on the front panel until 'Saving' shows on the display and that will stop the Import.  Then run 'Scan Disk' to check and see if the music collection numbers look OK.

I have to say that the 'USB Functions' menu is poorly presented.  The 'Export' function should be presented first in the list because this is the primary function to be used.

Regards,
Peter.

Andy Snapper

Apr 27, 2021, 3:06:50 AM4/27/21
to Brennan Forum
Thank you Peter. You have at least put my mind at rest. I had to just leave the B2 doing what it was doing last night and go to sleep and not worry about it. I just had to think that the import would just replace what was there in some fashion or another. I got anxious lest it doubled up on everything!
Because of your words to me many weeks ago when I first embarked on this project then I am belt and braces. I put what is going to go to the B2 on a separate external hard disc, copy it to the B2, and then pretty much immediately, export to C from the B2. With the sunny weather I had not been doing any copying recently and so last night, having ripped some stuff and then copied to the B2 I was then setting about exporting to C. I guess I just forgot how to get to 'Export to C' and instead of down arrow, went Ok, and off it went.
It was finished when I looked at it this morning. It all looks ok and indeed even last night's items that were due to be 'exported' were still in there, so I have exported those now.  I remember from past comments that anything that has been 'corrected' in the B2 after exporting will be brought back in its original state with the import, so there will be a handful of corrections needed to the naming of items, but finding them now will be like 'needle in the haystack'. The number of corrections had not warranted erasing the existing export but it does make me wonder if I should keep a note of the corrections I make rather than redo the export, or whether I should get a life and not be so anal about this hoarding.
As you say Peter, it would make more sense to have 'Export' first in the list, but experience is a powerful teacher and hopefully I will remember how to do this next time.
Thanks again.
Andy

PMB

Apr 27, 2021, 5:26:57 AM4/27/21