Are music files stored in a proprietary format or as raw FLACs?

davesurrey

Dec 22, 2021, 7:37:31 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum

Just found this forum so my apologies if these questions have been answered previously but it’s a big forum.

1.    How are the flac or mp3 files stored on the HDD? Are they in some kind of proprietary/coded format or just as native flac/MP3 files so I could just take out the HDD and play the flac files on a PC with, for example, VLC player?

2.    What metadata providers does it currently use eg GD3 or CDDB?

Many thanks

Daniel Taylor

Dec 22, 2021, 9:28:50 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
At the risk of giving you more information than you want, I'm going to give you more information than you asked for. ;o)
When the B2 rips the music from a CD, the files are stored in the WAV format.  Then depending on which, if any, conversion type you've selected, when the unit is idle, the B2 converts the files, from WAV to FLAC or MP3.  From that time onward, the files exist in the format you've chosen.  And yes, you could take the hard disk out of the unit and connect it to your computer and play the songs with the VLC player.  Or, even simpler, you could set up the B2 to be a NAS device, access it from your computer over your local network, and play the files that way too.  But it's simpler and more direct to just have the B2 play the music.

Regarding metadata:  The B2 does not use the tagging fields in the track files.  But it does get information from the MusicBrainz database for naming the Artist folder, the Album folder, and the track names for every CD it rips.  That's how the B2 names and keeps track of the music, not with the metadata tags.

I wouldn't be surprised if that information just led you to more questions.  Fire away.  There are people here who are happy to help.

JFBUK

Dec 22, 2021, 10:28:30 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Dave,

just to add to the info Daniel posted.

Although the B2 software does not make detailed use of tags it does use the Artwork tag when playing back a track if it is stored in the track file tag data on the B2.
if there is no artwork tag the B2 will use an image file in the album folder and if that's not present then blank

Also if you rip using the B2 CD drive it does store minimal tags with the file as in this screenshot, as well as the artwork it finds, so these tags are there for future use should the Brennan software be upgraded to use them.
They are also available for use by 3rd party software. I think the Sonos app uses them if you integrate Sonos speakers into your setup.
A Sonos user will be able to confirm/deny that :)

John

Screenshot 2021-12-22 151531.jpg

davesurrey

Dec 22, 2021, 11:24:09 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum

Daniel & John,

Thank you so much for your very helpful replies.

Good to know that it stores FLAC as raw files on the HDD.

I am not sure I understand about the metadata though. Perhaps if I say more of why I am asking this it might help with any reply.

Previously I have used EAC to rip about 2000 CDs and store them on a PC with Logitech Media Server (LMS) to run 3 Squeezebox clients. I thought of buying a B2 to rip another 2000 CDs and use it in the lounge but also transfer the FLACs to my PC and the LMS server for else-where in the house.

It seems I could do that at least with the media but not sure if the metadata (artist, track titles, any album art) would carry over?

Sorry to be long winded about this.

JFBUK

Dec 22, 2021, 11:31:09 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

yes the metadata will carry over.
Its actually held in the FLAC file itself.
I, and I believe Daniel does as well, rip on my PC first and then upload to my B2.
I prefer that method because it gives me more control over file naming amongst other things.

John

davesurrey

Dec 22, 2021, 11:46:10 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Ah, now that's interesting. TBH my main reason for getting a Brennan was for ease of ripping but it you and Daniel use your PC for that then I am not sure what the Brennan can give me which my current Logitech can't. Okay the Squeezebox clients are no longer available but they turn up on ebay quite often for little money. But at least the Brennan is current.

Don't want to go OT on this but may I ask what do you use to rip on your PC? EAC?

Thanks again for your help. If I go down this route at least I know there are knowledgeable folk here to help if needed.

JFBUK

Dec 22, 2021, 11:53:28 AM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

a lot of people rip on their B2s.

The B2 is a very flexible bit of kit because it provides a one box solution at one end of the spectrum but also can acts a very functional component in a more complex setup.

I use dBPoweramp to rip but have used EAC in the past.

Both allow you to script the creation of your track filenames from metadata tags.

John

Daniel Taylor

Dec 22, 2021, 12:51:01 PM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum
I concur with John on ripping on my PC.  I also use dBpoweramp CD Ripper, and have also used EAC in the past.  Both are excellent.

Chris Buckle

Dec 22, 2021, 1:04:36 PM12/22/21
to Brennan Forum

I also rip on my PC and have used EAC for many years.
Chris