USB Hub for B2

Joseph Caputo

Apr 10, 2022, 11:33:16 AM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Has anyone added a USB Hub to their B2 with success?  I'd like to get one so I may have the Bluetooth dongle and an external CD Drive for adding CDs connected at all times.

Is powered or unpowered USB hub the way to go?  Use USB C or USB A to connect it?  Does it matter?  Can the WiFi dongle and Bluetooth dongle be plugged in to the same hub?

Let me know the brand/model that works for you, if you can.

Thanks for any tips.

JC

Ray Dion

Apr 10, 2022, 2:07:15 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
I purchased a JUH340 USB™ 3.0 4-Port Mini Hub – j5create. I bought it at Best Buy. It works fine It is powered. Yes I was able to hook up both Bluetooth and WiFi to it while I had an external CD player on the other B2 USB port. I have attached USB storage devices to it as well, worked fine. I have it connected to USB A but I don't think it matters much.

Because I did not know the power of the USB storage devices along with options of other USB dongles I went with a powered unit. I did not see the point of learning when the power threshold was reached the hard way.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2022, 2:08:52 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
You WILL need to go for a powered hub. The power to the native B2 USB is limited.

Fred

Edgar Torbert

Apr 10, 2022, 5:49:21 PM4/10/22
to Brennan Forum
JC, I have tested a powered USB hub and an unpowered USB hub plugged into USB-C with no problems for either. I have not tried moving my WiFi dongle from USB-A to either of the hubs, but I have had no problems with the Bluetooth dongle or a USB thumb drive or an external CD reader plugged into the hub in pairs (I have not tested all three at the same time as I do not have a dedicated external CD reader for my B2 setup).