Uploading to B2 from Macbook Pro or iMac

Ian Barber

Dec 3, 2021, 4:08:51 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
I have been ploughing through rippning my cd collection and all has  gone well, so far, with the process apart from some of the compilations where,for instance  a box of 5 cd's by various artists, the B2 is rarely able to identify all 5 cd's. Now, most of the compilation box sets etc have already been uploaded to my iMac, then copied on to my Macbook Pro  for dj use as iTunes( now called Music) as well as into Pioneer's Rekordbox for dj playback. Both have around 15,000 tracks with a few versions of the same tunes, in some cases. Some are 320 mp3 ripped and some are wav ripped, with the odd 160mp3 for good measure.
Now, it would seem to me that I may be better off connecting my Macbook Pro  to the B2 by usb cable and transferring them all across, rather than trying to do this manually for the remaining compilations ?
So, the question is this : Can I do so direct, or do I need to copy on to a FAT32 hard drive, then upload the contents of that to the B2, please ?
The B2 is compressing them all to FLAC, for reference.
Your continued help is very much appreciated and, so far, the B2 continues to work well and we both enjoy listening to the random music playback. My Wife and I still have a laugh when listening to some quiet tracks, then it plays AC DC which makes her jump !
Cheers

Ian

JFBUK

Dec 3, 2021, 5:28:07 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

USB architecture normally assumes that one device is the "master" and the second device a "slave" so though I am sure its possible, getting a file transfer over a USB cable may be tricky.
I can't recall anyone posting a way to do this

There are three ways that I know of to transfer files to a B2 from a computer.

1. Via a USB drive
2. Use the Web UI file upload functionality
3. Connect your computer to the B2 HDD as network attached storage (NAS) and just copy the files using your computer's file manager application. It very important to run a 'Scan Disk' after copying with this method because you are circumventing the B2 software and the B2 needs to rebuild its index of your music files.

John

PMB

Dec 3, 2021, 6:12:26 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

A direct USB connection between the B2 and a computer is not possible. So music transfer is limited to -

A USB HDD, SSD or memory stick/thumb drive - be aware that there are many fake memory sticks being sold by the likes of Amazon, eBay and others. These are usually the 1TB and 2TB ones and are usually very cheap.

Via your network using WiFi or an ether connection to your router.

John's #3 suggestion assumes a WiFi or Ethernet connection.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Ian Barber

Dec 3, 2021, 10:12:46 AM12/3/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Guys. I believe that I have  just under/just over 1 TB stored on the laptop, but I will check.
Looks like I will have to get an SSD drive and copy it all over to that, to be safe, then upload to the B2 via wifi etc.
Cheers

Ian