Bluetooth speakers - multi room streaming

Stefan Apfalter

Feb 14, 2022, 9:23:55 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I just got my B2 and would like to use it with my Edifier S2000MKIII speakers (nearby the B2, in the living room), plus an additional Bluetooth speaker (a bit further away) in the kitchen. The sound needs to be synchronized as this is essentially one open space.
What are the options I have to connect those speakers?
(a) I can wire the Edifier speakers and connect a Bluetooth speaker and use both as output, but I realize there is an annoying delay between the wired Edifier and the Bluetooth speaker (as both Edifier and Bluetooth speakers are essentially in the same "open space" this is irritating).
(b) Can I connect both Edifier (technically possible as the Edifier speakers can also be connected vie Bluetooth)) and the Bluetooth speaker via Bluetooth? I realized, tough, that the UI does not allow me to choose both as outputs... Or when it allows me to click on both as Bluetooth speakers in the UI, the B2 adjusts that in a few second to ensure only one Bluetooth speaker is then functioning as the one-and-only output device. Is there a way to connect two Bluetooth speakers simultaneously?
(c) Do I need to replace my Edifier (can still send them back to amazon) with e.g. Sonos 5, and get the Sonos 1 as the second Bluetooth speaker and connect them as one "region"? Would that work?
Any advice is much appreciated,
Stefan

JFBUK

Feb 14, 2022, 10:05:33 AM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Stefan,

as soon as you go wireless for one or more of your output devices you are most probably going to get some lag versus anything connected as wired.

You could invest in a Bluetooth transmitter capable of connecting to two Bluetooth outputs simultaneously.

which can connect to the B2 optically and output to two Bluetooth devices simultaneously.

There is no absolute guarantee that there would not be a synchronization issue between the two sets of speakers but the avantree does have some tools to help.

John

fred.w....@gmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 2:51:42 PM2/14/22
to Brennan Forum
If you get Sonos speakers and just use these you can synchronise any number of them.
Get the B2 to play to one and then tell the Sonos app to play to all from this one.
Or
In the Sonos App group the speakers together and tell the B2 to play to this group.

Fred

JFBUK

Feb 15, 2022, 4:23:42 AM2/15/22
to Brennan Forum

Stefan replied to me via email

Thanks John,
I don' see an optical connection on the back of my B2 - am I missing out on something?
Second, is your recommendation to connect both speaker systems (Edifier speakers and the additional Bose Bluetooth speaker) via Bluetooth to the Avantree using the Low Latency TX mode? Or should I keep the Edifier wired to the B2 and only connect the Bose Bluetooth speakers via the Avantree transmitter?
Thank you,
Stefan

Hi Stefan,

The optical connection is as indicated in this image, its a dual purpose connection analog line out and optical out

Screenshot 2022-02-15 090917.jpg

You will need a cable like this to connect to another device optically
Screenshot 2022-02-15 091219.jpg

Per your other question.

If you keep the edifier speakers wired then there will almost certainly be a noticeable lag between their sound and your Bluetooth connected speakers.

I would connect both the edifier and Bose speakers via Bluetooth.

As Fred said , a Sonos solution will guarantee that the sound is synchronized across all speakers but if you can buy something like the Avantree on sale on return and it works
then you also have a Bluetooth solution without a bigger investment.

John