Import album artwork

Jeff Blackmon

Jan 3, 2018, 4:13:54 PM1/3/18
to Brennan Forum
I loaded up my external USB drive with music in the expected folder structure (artist/album/titles) and included coverart.jpg in each album folder.  However, it appears that the cover art is ignored by the USB - Import from C option that loads the music from external disk.

Am I missing something or is there some other method to load the cover art en masse?

Thanks,

Jeff

James Wyatt

Jan 4, 2018, 2:53:03 AM1/4/18
to Brennan Forum
Check out the YouTube Video: Ripping CD’s on the Brennan B2.

https://youtu.be/3DmOcS36ILA

Brennan Support

Jan 4, 2018, 4:47:26 AM1/4/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff

Martin Brennan here - album art on import was pointed out by another owner before Christmas and I fixed it in yesterday's software release

Martin

Jeff Blackmon

Jan 4, 2018, 12:24:28 PM1/4/18
to Brennan Forum
Wonderful!  Updated my B2 and started my import and I'm starting to see cover art.

Based on the log, it appears to be grabbing the images from the web instead of the USB, correct?

Thanks for the great support and quick response Martin.

Brennan Support

Jan 5, 2018, 3:28:47 AM1/5/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff

Glad its working for you - don't fully understand the point about the log. Import pulls the file from the USB. Though originally you get it into B2 from the web.

Martin

Jeff Blackmon

Jan 5, 2018, 9:01:17 AM1/5/18
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for the clarification.

When I saw entries like:  webGetCurrentArt () /b2gci.fcgi?getCurrentArt&time=1515160709706 in the log I thought the import was pulling the image from the web.

Jeff

judya...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2018, 8:29:14 AM2/21/18
to Brennan Forum
Q&A for 3rd January cryptically says "include album art in import".

Does this mean that album art embedded in the mp3 tags will be imported (and displayed), or does it mean that B2 will import whatever .jpg is in the album's folder? All the mp3 files I'll be importing have embedded album art. Also, all the folders I would be importing from - on a USB stick used in the car - each have a folder.jpg and an AlbumArt [albumname - artistname].jpg - obviously I have too much time on my hands. Or as per Jeff Blackmon's post do they need to be renamed coverart.jpg?

Dick Cooper

Brennan Support

Feb 23, 2018, 3:33:20 AM2/23/18
to Brennan Forum
Hello Dick

Martin here - in fact your question is really about tagging.

In yesterday's software release I added some functions that refresh the tags in FLAC files. What that means is that if you add or change cover art or change the artist, album or track names - the new utilities will embedded that information in a tag in the FLAC file - mainly so that Sonos will sort the and present them nicely.

This is part of ongoing work there is a bit more work on FLAC and MP3 is next. MP3 tags are known as ID3. B2 will already display the images in downloaded MP3s but over the weeks ahead I will add the same functions now available for FLAC. When that's done - the images will become part of the MP3 file and will show on your car.

Its not a one time thing - you can change the image later and refresh the tags

Martin

Dick Cooper

Feb 24, 2018, 7:42:40 AM2/24/18
to Brennan Forum
Well actually my question was about what happens when importing mp3s from USB into B2 (I don't think I made that clear).

I now have access to a B2 (I didn't when I asked the question). I have imported some albums which already had album art embedded in the tag. In some of the albums I imported, some mp3s have different album art (these are compilation albums and the mp3s are from different source albums). In the B2 web interface, all the mp3s display the same album art. It looks like B2 imported album art from the album's folder. Also, albums with no album art in the source folder on the USB don't display any album art in the web interface.

It doesn't seem to display the embedded art as you suggest when you say "B2 will already display the images in downloaded MP3s" in your reply.

Different music players seem to handle this differently. The player on my TV and in my car already correctly display the album art from the embedded tag; the music player on my android phone displays the (cached) album art from the first track in the folder (wrong!), the Cocktail X10 seems to pick up the first jpg from the source folder (also wrong). I hope that your upcoming mod to the B2 software will actually display the embedded art as you suggest. Using the tag would give access to other useful information like Genre that could be used to search on.

Brennan Support

Feb 26, 2018, 3:54:05 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Hello Dick

Make sure you have the latest software and let me know if B2 does not display album art on an imported MP3.

If necessary you can email the file to thebre...@gmail.com and I will load onto a B2 here.

Martin

Dick Cooper

Feb 26, 2018, 9:40:42 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Ah, yes, the latest software (Feb 23) correctly displays the embedded album art in the top left hand ("Playing") pane. But what appears in the bottom right pane ("Album") is curious. I loaded a compilation album with different album art for every track, and Playing pane correctly shows each track's embedded art, but the Album pane shows the album art embeded in the LAST track (not the first as I would have expected, or the album art from the folder.jpg that was in the source folder which might be more logical). Though for the album I originally had problems with, the Album pane has the album art that's embedded in the first few tracks of the source folder, which happens to be what I would have expected (Playing pane is also correctly showing embedded art for each track).  Maybe it's a Raspberry Pi random effect. Anyway, more a curiosity than a bug.

Mike

Feb 26, 2018, 11:34:06 AM2/26/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Martin

Good to see the tagging of files for better viewing detail in Sonos.  I did as suggested and tried it on one album and all worked well so went the full hog to do all of my 280 or so albums as per your suggestions on the website.  It all worked fine for a while but then tagging froze on one album.  So I was left with no alternative but to go through all albums and manually do a 'Re-set tag' operation.  I found five albums where the tagging froze.  in all except one case I was able to unfreeze the tagging using the STOP button.  In the exception, I could not unfreeze the tagging and all I could do was unplug the B2.  When I switched the B2 back on a message said that the hard disc was read only.  I cleared this by doing a Maintenance>Reboot.

Any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong/

Many thanks

Mike

Brennan Support

Mar 7, 2018, 4:16:16 AM3/7/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike

Might be useful if you could email in on thebre...@gmail.com and I can investigate further. I may need you to mail the album (on USB or just tell me the CD) that causes difficulty or in extremis I'll take a look at your B2 if you are UK based - its inconvenient but it guarantees a fix.

Martin

trimble...@btinternet.com

Mar 12, 2018, 5:09:49 PM3/12/18
to Brennan Forum
I have been uneventfully adding artwork to the hundreds of CDs already put on B2 until yesterday. I have 2 CDs which I cannot add artwork to - I am doing nothing different to all the previous successful additions - but I am getting no response what so ever on these particular Discs.  The artwork box is showing no picture and properties showing "noimage.jpg" ... no attempt at adding picture is successful - I have renamed artwork to coverart.jpg - I have also removed one of the inputted CDs from B2 and reinserted same - neither of which has worked despite more than one effort of both.

Could there be something external that would prevent artwork being allowed or am I just missing something simple?

Thanks

Dave

PMB

Mar 13, 2018, 4:33:11 AM3/13/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi Dave,

I assume you have upgraded the software as there was an Album Art problem with an earlier version.

What are the names of the two troublesome CDs? Can you load another, different CD to see if the problem is limited to just those two?

Paul.

trimble...@btinternet.com

Mar 15, 2018, 5:14:16 PM3/15/18
to Brennan Forum
Hi

Thanks for response.  It is just these 2 albums - I have continued to add other discs art uneventfully.

The 2 CDs in question are:

References - Elizabeth Schwarzfopf - Wiener Blut - CD2  ..... In this case it is silly because CD1's album art added uneventfully.

Jose Cura - Puccini Arias

Thanks

Dave

Blayne

Mar 16, 2018, 10:25:48 AM3/16/18
to Brennan Forum
 I have found that on more than one occasion that not all the discs of a reissue set are from the same source.One of 4 discs in a reissue of Beethoven string quartets printed out in japanese. I assume when the engineers decided on which disc to copy that the Japanese one had better sonics. This is more prevalent when a source has change hands . Often an Album title will be completely different from one disc to another in a compilation set . Especially if the recordings have taken place over many years, I think that no one pays attention to anything but the sonics and album covers may exist or not . Blayne