peterfl...@hotmail.co.uk

May 21, 2020, 8:49:04 AM5/21/20
to Brennan Forum
I have set up my new BB1 and after some problems setting up the Bluetooth Out with my Bose Soundlink Mini 2, it's working fine, except that when I'm playing on a radio preset, and change to another preset, the wifi switches off. So I have to power off, turn the Bose off, power on again, choose the new preset, and then turn on the Bose. Is this a known issue or is there something I could do to correct it? Also, Bluetooth Out does not seem to work with YouTube videos, but I believe this is a known issue. Is this correct? It's a great bit of kit though!

Peter Lowham

May 21, 2020, 3:29:06 PM5/21/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi there,

That is a feature which has been documented in the upgrade notes.  It is actually a limitation within the Ras-Pi, where the WiFi and Bluetotth share the same output radio electronic circuitry. Therefore you can only run either Bluetooth or WiFi at any one time.

You can work around this limltation by purchasing two items; (1) a USB to 3.5mm stereo DAC and (2) a 3.5mm to Bluetooth (sometimes listed as 'airline bluetooth converters') so that you can have Bluetooth running through the USB port and WiFi just running normally.  This is the way I am running my BB1 currently.

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

May 22, 2020, 4:52:32 AM5/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

The three preset buttons on the BB1 should be operable in Bluetooth mode - so at least you can select three different stations.

Remember that Preset 0 = Button 1, Preset 1 = Button 2, etc.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

May 22, 2020, 8:52:50 AM5/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

I think that you replied to me via personal mail, so I have brought your query back onto the forum here.

I have attached two photographs of my arrangement; one showing the components disconnected, the other showing the components connected.

For my setup,

1. Arktek USB A to USB C converter
2. Cubilux USB C to 3.5mm DAC unit
3. 3.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo cable adapter (this was included with item 4 below)
4. KitSound Bluetooth Airline adapter

This works very well with my August EP650 Bluetooth headphones.  For some reason, since using this setup, I have stopped being hit by jet-lag, from which I used to suffer really badly!!

Hopefully this will give you a 'starter for ten'.  Some of my elements are quite old now so you might find newer and potentially better items.  I must say that I'm very pleased with this setup.

Also, although I have this setup to hand, I also use the newly provided BB1 direct Bluetooth system.  This, for me, is especially good when I'm on long distance flights where I don't need the WiFi element.  Somewhat more tidy when in a tight space such as an aircraft seat.

Regards,
Peter.

IMG_20200522_131629573.jpg
IMG_20200522_132611474.jpg

Peter Flanagan

May 22, 2020, 1:20:16 PM5/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Peter,thanks very much, that's really helpful seeing your set up, as I was confused about the different pieces needed and their functions.

Peter Lowham

May 22, 2020, 2:14:29 PM5/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter,

No problem, glad to be of some help.  As they say, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

Regards and good luck.
Peter,.