B2 Stopped talking to wifi and iPhone

Nigel Parkes

Mar 22, 2021, 1:44:55 PM3/22/21
to Brennan Forum
(Thought I'd start a new conversation for this as it's not just the app anymore)

I'm running a MacBook Pro (2019) iPhone 6S and  Brennan B2 with a BT2 hub getting a -55 signal on the B2 (all software up to date on all devices). All in the same room.

A few days ago the old style UI on the iPhone stopped working, so I downloaded the latest app - it didn't work (but the UI on the MacBook still did) it kept on telling me I wasn't connected to wifi, so I checked that I was.

I rebooted and moved the router, signal now -49 but the app connected and worked fine.

I then lost the connection via the MacBook, keep on getting the message about 'Safari can't open the page ... server isn't responding'
I've cleared the cache, tried entering the ip address manually and checked the router admin page, the Brennan is there as a device.

This morning I thought I'd have some music while I sorted the  problem.

Now the app's not working either, it scans and comes up with the Brennan ip address but won't connect (says I need to be connected to wifi).

I've web upgraded the Brennan, re scanned the disk and re-connected it to my wifi network. Now getting -55 signal.

Still nothing is happening and it's doing my head in.

PMB

Mar 23, 2021, 5:36:54 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

I got the same issue where the iPhone 6S wouldn't connect to my B2 this morning, using the app, but a restart of the phone fixed that.

Usually the web UI is pretty solid - it's been around for a long time now and is just a web site - but must admit I run it on a Windows laptop rather than a MAC.

Anyone else having issues with the web UI on a MAC?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Nigel Parkes

Mar 23, 2021, 5:54:30 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Paul,

Thats the annoying bit with the iPhone - it recognises the Brennan is there but won't connect (even with restarts)

The web UI was solid for ages, now all of a sudden it's 'page not found' (even with the cache cleared). and the signal is -55

I'm lost.

Nigel

Daniel Taylor

Mar 23, 2021, 7:00:28 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
I've seen several posts talking about the BT routers being problematic.  That, coupled with your not great WiFi strength of -55 is a recipe for trouble.

Personally, I would not be happy with and would not settle for a -55 signal strength.

Nigel Parkes

Mar 23, 2021, 7:41:36 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum

I hear what you say about the BT router but -55 is within the parameters and it's worked fine with that for years. The problem seems to specific. I've got an internet radio upstairs that's perfectly happy..

Nigel Parkes

Mar 23, 2021, 10:44:29 AM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum

Could it be an encryption thing with the MacBook - I've never seen this message before today?
Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 14.24.47.png

Nigel Parkes

Mar 23, 2021, 12:39:42 PM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Just been on the phone to Apple, no probs with the MacBook - they reckon it's the Brennan site.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 23, 2021, 1:17:52 PM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Today, my WiFi signal strength hovers around -21, -23.  I've had very few problems where one would suspect WiFi as being involved.  If you're happy with -55 and your current situation, you are welcome to it.  If it were my setup, I'd be working on that as my number one suspect.

I don't say this to be argumentative.  I'm trying to help.  But you're certainly free to call it as you see it.

Mark Fishman

Mar 23, 2021, 7:46:45 PM3/23/21
to Brennan Forum
Why does that message say that Safari is trying to connect to Instagram? Your B2 should not be confused with Instagram.
Secondly, the B2's web server does NOT use HTTPS. It needs an unencrypted web connection. Safari might be trying to use HTTPS (which will fail) because every web browser now wants the entire web to be HTTPS-only, and is getting crabby about it.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 5:15:43 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

The B2 can not reasonably provide a "secure" https connection to it web server (the B2's UI) - to use https the server needs to have a publicly registered/authenticated, unique digital certificate issued to it. While this may be appropriated for a server used by a bank, utility or online shop (on the internet or WAN), it is not appropriate for little web servers on your house's private network (LAN). Each B2 would have to obtain one and the cost would be prohibitive - and it is not needed!

It is true that many browsers are being made to warn people regarding the lack of security an "http" connection but they should not reasonably PREVENT such connections.

Also if when you are trying to connect to the B2 (by entering the B2's IP address into the Browser's address bar), your iPhone is giving you messages about "Instagram" it is clear that your iPhone is suffering from SEVERE internal confusion.
The issues you are having is NOT with the B2 - B2s are satisfactorily publishing their Web UI's to thousands of customers using a simple "Apache" web server (built into the Linux OS that drives the B2 - and not something developed specially by Brennan) that was initially developed by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. If the B2's was broken, it would be failing for us ALL!

Therefore you problem is either in your house's router configuration or with the a "state" your phone has go into.  I am not an iPhone expert, but however you do it it needs to have all it cashes cleared - it could even have been infected with a virus!

When you "point" to a B2 on your LAN the iPhone should NOT be giving you messages about "Instagram" on the WAN.

Fred

Nigel Parkes

Mar 24, 2021, 8:55:19 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Mark, Fred,

Sorry, that was a bum steer. I was trying to connect to Instagram having cleared out all my web data and was suddenly confronted by the security certificate, I feared another raft of complexity from OS had been introduced in general to make my life harder!

Now back to the matter in hand.

Nigel Parkes

Mar 24, 2021, 9:00:46 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Daniel,

Certainly not taken as argumentative! Thanks for the reminder, I've been trying everything in the last few days.

Nigel Parkes

Mar 24, 2021, 10:05:52 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Success at last. I moved everything around and the Brennan higher up.

Still doesn't explain why it suddenly stopped working after four years in the same place and getting what was described as an adequate signal.

Thanks everyone, case closed and more info added to the files!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2021, 10:14:53 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Nigel,

I am so pleased you have found a solution, it is very frustrating when things stop working.
I am not aware (obviously) of where you live or how close other people live to you. BUT one must be aware of the possibility that with WiFi if a house in the neighborhood changes its router, this can upset what was a satisfactory WiFi provision in
your house!
We are all using (and congesting) the limited frequency bandwidth assigned to personal WiFi systems. Therefore sometimes unexplained things are a result of external changes rather than something we have done.
Fred

Nigel Parkes

Mar 24, 2021, 10:28:35 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
'The sheer perversity of inanimate objects'

Mark Fishman

Mar 24, 2021, 10:56:39 AM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
That's why we anthropomorphize them (give them names and gender, swear at them, attribute volition ["it wants"], and so on).
:)

Mike W

Mar 24, 2021, 3:52:01 PM3/24/21
to Brennan Forum
I use an Android app called Wifi Analyser to help resolve issues that crop up. It shows networks that are available, the strength and channel number.

One of my neighbours changed their router an I was getting a number of drop outs, using this app enabled me to see that it was on the same channel, so logged into my router, changed the channel to be away from my neighbour and everything back to normal.

Not sure if this is available on ios...

Mike

Nigel Parkes

Apr 1, 2021, 3:37:09 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Back to where we were a few weeks back - this is starting to get annoying, I haven't altered anything.

No mobile phone app (Yes it is connected to WiFi)
No web ui on Macbook

WiFi reception 39-45 at Brennan.
BT Smarthub2 recognises Brennan

I've ordered a Dongle with antenna.

Is the problem with the Brennan trying to talk to the router or the Brennan trying to talk to MacBook/iphone?

I see I'm not the only one with this problem.

Mark Fishman

Apr 1, 2021, 4:07:22 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Nigel,

your wifi strength looks good; I don't think you need the dongle-with-antenna, since you have a reasonable signal level. Have you verified that the B2 has the same IP address it used to have? If it has changed, you should try clearing the browser cache on the MacBook and the mobile; maybe reboot the mobile? I don't know how to clear an app, although some let you clear saved data and caches.

Mike W

Apr 1, 2021, 4:10:07 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel, just something to check if the mac can see the B2 on the network:

Switch on the B2 and make a note of the IP address shown on the front panel after wifi:

On the Mac go to Applications/Utilities and open Terminal.

Type  "ping"  followed by the ip address and press return  (don't use the quotes)

You should then see the results of the ping showing hopefully that the Mac can see the B2 on your network.

cheers
Mike

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2021, 4:26:34 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel

I have noticed on the forum that one or two people with BT Smarthubs are having issues similar to yours
Do check that the IP number assigned to the B2 (and displayed on the front at boot or after pressing "info" on the remote) is not changing.

Fred

Nigel Parkes

Apr 1, 2021, 4:31:44 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum

That was very helpful Mike thanks
Didn't look very hopeful tho' a lot of replies about

'Request timeout'
and
'host is down'

Nigel Parkes

Apr 1, 2021, 4:35:13 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred,

Checked that the IP no on the B2 is the same and cleared the MacBook cache last week thanks

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2021, 4:51:14 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
OK
The "pings" indicate that (if the B2 has a valid IP - which you say it has) from the phones' point of view the B2 is invisible (not on the LAN)
As the LAN functioning is the responsibility of the BT router AND as  (it IS talking to the phone and it IS talking to the B2) - this indicates the problem is INSIDE your BT Router!.

I would suggest you try a hard reboot of the BT router (power off at wall then on again). That may settle the problem for a time.

Fred

Mike W

Apr 1, 2021, 5:33:35 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Nigel, it's certainly strange that with both devices connected and apparently working correctly on their own cannot see each other on the same lan.

In saying that, does the internet radio work on the B2?

Mike

Peter Lowham

Apr 1, 2021, 6:11:47 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

Before we all go down the BT SmartHub rabbit hole I will add to this conversation by saying that I have been using BT HomeHub and SmartHub routers for about 16 years.  The HomeHubs from  HH V3 onwards have worked pretty well and I'm now using the BT SmartHub 2, having upgraded from the SmartHub 1 in order to get full fibre to the house.  The SmartHub 2 works just fine with 'fixed DHCP' addresses (as did the SmartHub1, the HomeHub6, the HomeHub5, etc).  I have 2 x B2s and 2 x BB1s and I've never had a problem with IP addresses changing.

I have something like 35 devices running on my network including 4 rack servers with 'full fixed static' addresses.  The 4 Brennans are running on 'fixed DHCP' addresses which are managed by the BT router.

It could be that the BT router is faulty, but in 16 years of use I have never had to call BT.  It is more likely that Nigel's network has some sort of configuration clash which is causing his problems.

My B2s and BB1s perform almost faultlessly (the B2s are Cat5 wired to the router) so I can say that when using a BT SmartHub 2, I have a trouble-free and stable LAN.

Below is a screenshot of the SmartHub2 page of one of my B2s using the fixed DHCP option.

Just for clarity, I am not a BT employee, just a normal customer.

Regards,
Peter.
BTSmart-Hub_2.jpeg

Mark Fishman

Apr 1, 2021, 6:21:26 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
I am very glad it works for you, Peter. Apparently some other folks don't have the same experience -- read this thread:

Peter Lowham

Apr 1, 2021, 6:45:09 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I have seen some of these fora and I realise that there are issues out there.  However, BT is the UK's largest supplier of Internet access services and there are now a very large number of SmartHub 2 routers out there (this is BT's FTTH standard offering so there are at least hundreds of thousands of these in service).

To me, these fora are an equivalent to someone looking at the Brennan forum and concluding that Brennans do not work.   What I'm saying is that since having had the SmartHub 2 installed in October 2019 I have not had a single issue with it and in my case everything just works as expected and my LAN setup is probably a bit more complex than most.  I think that we need to look at why my 'fixed DHCP' set up works perfectly and Nigel's does not.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2021, 8:09:36 PM4/1/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter, Mark,

At home I have a Netgear Nighthawk router but the system I installed and manage in Church is an up to date BT Hub. When we "open up" again I will go in and have a poke around on the BT router to see if I can set up a fixed IP on it (unfortunately I turned off the remote management option). I have not needed to fix an IP in Church yet so do not have the experience needed to make a constructive comment on the "worth" of the BT offering.

Fred

Mike W

Apr 2, 2021, 5:08:40 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Not having a BT router I can't check but on some routers it is possible to separate the  5ghz and 2.4ghz channels into 2 networks where one is a "guest" network and devices on each would be invisible to each other.

This is just an idea, maybe someone with a BT Hub could check if this option is available and we could then get Nigel to check his setup.

Mike

Mike W

Apr 2, 2021, 5:10:15 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Just thinking about it again, can you switch off the 5ghz channel forcing everything to use the 2.4?

Mike

Mark Fishman

Apr 2, 2021, 6:48:38 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
> had the SmartHub 2 installed in October 2019
Aha!? Many of the complaints I found on line had older datws than that. Perhaps it's a firmware issue: BT finally fixed it and you have one with newer firmware that works correctly? It's a hypothesis worth checking -- and it might also apply to others elsewhere in this forum who are also having a reserved-IP problem.

Thanks, as usual -- m.

jeff...@googlemail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 8:52:35 AM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Mark I'm gonna have to find the box for my smart hub, and see when I got it, I think it was 2019!

Nigel Parkes

Apr 2, 2021, 12:01:46 PM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
Did a very hard reboot of the BT Smarthub2 router and I've got things working on the MacBook again.

But while the iPhone app won't reconnect, the web ui on the iPhone will.

Anyone got any suggestions for a non-techie please?

PS - I've used BT kit to connect since 2001 and not really had any problems (Until now).

jeff...@googlemail.com

Apr 2, 2021, 12:54:33 PM4/2/21
to Brennan Forum
My bt hub was delivered in Nov 2019, so maybe they had sorted them out by then!

PMB

Apr 5, 2021, 5:08:49 AM4/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

Glad to hear that you have got the web UI working again. Dare I ask, is it still working?

Some say they uninstall the app and then install it again to get it working.

Paul
Brennan Support.