APP on an Amazon Fire?

Richard Sinclair

Feb 14, 2021, 7:50:09 AM2/14/21
to Brennan Forum
As it says the new app is for all Android devices, is there a way of installing on a Fire tablet, which runs a bespoke  Amazon version of android?

Daniel Taylor

Feb 14, 2021, 8:10:43 AM2/14/21
to Brennan Forum
I have run the WebUI on my Amazon Fire tablet.  All you need is the browser.  The app can be convenient, but all it does is find your B2 on the network without you having to enter the IP address.

Davywhizz

Feb 14, 2021, 10:57:24 AM2/14/21
to Brennan Forum
I use the web UI on a Fire HD tablet most of the time and find it runs more smoothly than on an old ipad I have. It's great for using Spotify too, including through the B2 function. The Fire tablet is also good for Amazon Music HD ( of course) and the BlueOS app I use for high resolution streaming.

Otherwise I don't have good experiences of trying to load android apps onto a Fire tablet. Some people seem to manage it, but it's too techie for me.

PMB

Feb 15, 2021, 4:33:46 AM2/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

I have tried the new Android app on the Kindle Fire and it appears to work OK. However I would say there is more functionality if you run the web UI on the Kindle - the screen is large enough - (open a browser page and type the IP Address from the B2 into the address line of the browser page) - the app has intentionally reduced functionality to keep it less cluttered and easier to navigate.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Richard Sinclair

Feb 15, 2021, 10:37:21 PM2/15/21
to Brennan Forum
I am using the WebUI so not a problem, but the Silk Appstore could not find the Brennan app and although I found it via Google it reported that it could not be installed.
A while ago I had fun and games installing Zinio, to access a magasine subscription against Amazon's wishes!

Richard Sinclair

Feb 15, 2021, 10:42:35 PM2/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Paul, it's not a Kindle, although I would have thought it would act in the same way.....but maybe not!

PMB

Feb 16, 2021, 5:11:47 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Richard,

I couldn't download the app to my Kindle using the Kindle but when I searched for it on my Win 10 laptop I was asked if I wanted it installed on my Kindle. So I selected that option and it was loaded. I have previously downloaded books to the kindle so guess that's why it was recognised.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Feb 16, 2021, 7:31:14 AM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
I think the Amazon Fire is considered, by Amazon, to be in the Kindle family.  Doesn't really matter.  The Fire is Android-based.  So it's possible that some Android apps will run on it.  Even though the B2 app may not be offered in the Fire/Kindle/Silk store, it may still run.

Remember, the App is only a wrapper for the WebUI.  The App finds the B2 without having to enter the IP address.  Then it turns control over to the WebUI.

Tony Martin

Feb 16, 2021, 12:26:33 PM2/16/21
to Brennan Forum
You can 'crack' the Amazon Fire to behave like a proper Android-based tablet, there are lots of instructions online. Then you can use the Play Store and download all the Apps you like.  I recently purchased a B2 and installed the App on my Fire.

Richard Sinclair

Feb 19, 2021, 5:06:17 AM2/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for last three snippets  of advice. I managed to install the app for Zinio  using APK installer, without understanding what that is....!