Network / Router / Mobile UI Problems?

Nigel Parkes

May 21, 2021, 3:11:07 PM5/21/21
to Brennan Forum
I'm seeing quite a few of these topics crop up recently - is there any way of running a straw poll to see who's had a problem and what provider/kit they were using rather than this case by case firefighting approach (which is very frustrating for all concerned).

PMB

May 24, 2021, 3:09:48 AM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Nigel,

Are you having any issues currently - perhaps you could start this off?

I think most of the recent problems have been due to the BT Smart Hub 2 software update (April) - where the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands won't talk to each other.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Graham Smout

May 24, 2021, 8:22:48 AM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello all
I may have mentioned this before in a previous post  but there are other UK ISP's who are part of the BT group that are affected by the 5Ghz channel problem experienced by some B2 users  .
Plus Net has admitted that the 5Ghz problem affects many users of it's Hub One .
See this post on their community site here:

Graham

J Rathbone

May 24, 2021, 11:55:15 AM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello

I am one of those BT customers that has suffered this problem ever since BT “upgraded” their “service” to “high speed broadband” (note use of quotation marks!) and sent a new HomeHub5 to replace the HomeHub4 “which will no longer work”.

Ever since I have suffered dropouts multiple times every day, having to manually reconnect each time,. Attempts to obtain help from “BT Customer Service” (surely the most egregious abuse of the English language ever?) were expertly confounded by BT (the one thing they are very good at).

So, I determined to solve this today. And I have. Google provided the answer. logged into the router and turned off the 5GHz connection.

Bingo!

Not a single issue since.

Jim

RandyT

May 24, 2021, 12:32:25 PM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
New B2 owner 'across the pond' here. I'm not sure if this is the proper thread for this but here goes:

I am unable to get the app to work on my fairly new iPhone. I think the issue lies with my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router (Gen6).

I can use the IP address on my B2 to login via the browser on the phone but not the app. Router gives the IP address to the B2 as 10.0.1.16. Kind of strange. That IP address also works perfectly with a web browser on my computer. I'm connected via ethernet to the Airport. I did set up the wifi connection with my computer before I set up the ethernet connection, so that works also if needed. Bluetooth is working and I am able to push music from my phone to the B2.

The app will not find anything via the initial scan for a connection. Then when trying to enter the IP address manually, the app simply says that IP address cannot be found. I believe I saw something on this forum that the iPhone app is looking for an IP address within a certain range of numbers.

While I haven't dug deeply into the Airport settings, I feel I should be able to dig in and assign a static IP address to this router within a specified range of IP numbers. Would anyone know if that app is looking for an IP address within a specified range of numbers?

Does anyone have any suggestions or corrections so I can get this working?

Thanks!!
RandyT

Graham Smout

May 24, 2021, 4:09:43 PM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy. The specific issue people in the UK are having is with routers that broadcast their WiFi signal simultaneosly on two WiFi frequencies: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.There is an issue with the particular routers in question that means that if two diffrent appliances are connecting to the routers LAN via the two different frequencies, they cannot interact with  each other. eg a B2 could connect on  the routers' 2.4ghz network  and smart phone on its 5Ghz network and they cannot see each other .

It's possible that other manufacturers routers in other countries could exhibit the same problem. The "fix" offered here is to turn off the 5Ghz band on the router to force both appliances to connect on the slower, 2.4Ghz band and therfore they can interact .

If your Airport router has both 2.4 & 5ghz bands see if it is possible to turn off the 5Ghz band and if this cures the problem.

Finally , are you certain that both your B2 and your phone are connected to your router - and not Cellular data in the case of the mobile, and that its your network they ae connected to and not a neighbouring network?

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 8:20:01 PM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy

There was a discussion in this area and I think a bug was found
see this thread
Cant help you with Airports though

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

May 24, 2021, 8:58:26 PM5/24/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy

Also forgot to say - it appears that you have your B2 set up via WiFi and Ethernet.
It is important not to mix the two at the SAME TIME. If you are using WiFi, disconnect the Ethernet, if you are using Ethernet (THIS WILL PROVIDE THE BEST, MOST STABLE CONNECTION) please take out the WiFi dongle from the back of the B2.
The Raspberry Pi at the heart of the B2 is only little and while it can drive both interfaces at the same time it is better not to overtax it, you will have less problems.

Fred

PMB

May 25, 2021, 6:15:17 AM5/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy,

The bug Fred refers to concerned the 'Speak to B' app not the new iPhone app.

As far as I know 10.0.1.16 type IP Addresses are fairly common and apart from two recent reports (you and the guy trying to use the Speak to B app) we have not heard of any problems with these IPs.

So suggest it may be a security setting on your router.

Paul
Brennan Support.

RandyT

May 25, 2021, 10:58:32 AM5/25/21
to Brennan Forum
The router definitely has 2.4 & 5 ghz bands that can be switched independently. The B2 is definitely plugged into the router via ethernet cable. I enter the 10.0.1.16 IP address into the phone browser (while within range of Router) and the mobile version of the web page opens. I think the answer lies in the range of IP addresses the iPhone app will connect thru. I've seen where to set that up but am still working out if that will throw off the connection of my other wireless devices. Once I get this figured out I'll try to set up some screen shots and path I used to work thru this.

On a completely separate note, these Airport Extreme routers are some of the best I've every come across. Incredibly dependable with great range. It's a shame that Apple quite making them. I actually picked up a couple of at a used music store for $3.00 each. They work perfectly and ARE NOT currently in use, so don't think they're confusing the issue. :-)

I'll keep everyone posted and thanks a million for the input!!

RandyT

May 25, 2021, 11:00:17 AM5/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Fred, rest assured that I have not had the Wifi dongle plugged in WITH the ethernet cable. I used the wifi for the initial setup but within a day or 2 I'd gotten that ethernet cable plugged in and the dongle removed. Wired is always best!
Thanks

RandyT

May 25, 2021, 11:08:37 AM5/25/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Fred, I'd read thru that discussion and there's some good info in there. I need to figure out how to assimilate that info over to my Airport. Like most things Apple related, the hardware and software are proprietary and march to their own drummer when it comes to the interface you have to deal with. Not that it's bad.... just a bit different. Maybe the IT guys at work can shed some light on this for me!!

Thanks again everyone!

rita....@btopenworld.com

May 26, 2021, 5:37:00 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim.  I'm also a BT customer plagued with no WebUI over the last few days.  I'd like to sort this but have no idea how to log into my router.  I had someone set up my system when I bought my last computer - I'm more into music than computers.  If you could supply some simple info on what you did, I'd be very grateful
Rita

rita....@btopenworld.com

May 26, 2021, 5:44:16 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim.  Maybe I needed to say that my WebUI on my Lenovo computer is fine.  It's my iPhone I'm having problems with.
Rita

Graham Smout

May 26, 2021, 6:25:38 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Rita - One thing you can try easily is to power off everything and restart:  phone , B2 computer and router in that order . Wait a few minutes before restarting everything. in reverse order.
What make of router and which Internet provider do you use? This would be a start to logging into your router.
Regards
Graham

Peter Lowham

May 26, 2021, 7:49:51 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

BT is rolling the fix out right now; my BT SmartHub router was updated last night.  So if you haven't got the fix yet, you will probably receive it over the next few days.

Regards,
Peter.

rita....@btopenworld.com

May 26, 2021, 9:08:53 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Graham.  I have a BT router (new as of Oct 2020) and use BT as my provider too.  I'll try the switching off and on - I've known that work before.  Thanks for that.
Rita

rita....@btopenworld.com

May 26, 2021, 9:09:54 AM5/26/21
to Brennan Forum

Thanks Peter

RandyT

Jun 12, 2021, 9:41:49 AM6/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hey everyone! I'm digging into the Apple Airport setup today. I'm trying to find the MAC address for my B2.

Instructions say to press INFO on the remote and scroll up and down to find the MAC address. It's not obvious what the MAC address is. Would someone give me an idea what I'm looking for? I do see a string of numbers like XX:XX:XX but that looks a bit short if I remember what a MAC address looks like.

Thanks for any help!
Randy

JFBUK

Jun 12, 2021, 9:49:11 AM6/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy,

you can press INFO twice to get the MAC address up on the front panel.

it will read
WiFi MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

John

RandyT

Jun 12, 2021, 9:54:22 AM6/12/21
to Brennan Forum
I think I figured out the problem. My display just says: WiFi MAC
No numbers after that.
Looks like I'm having a senior moment here. I'll likely need to unplug my network cable and plug the WiFi dongle back in.
Quite a way to begin my Saturday!
Thanks John!

Peter Lowham

Jun 12, 2021, 10:37:41 AM6/12/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Randy,

No, you're not going crazy!  There is an inconsistency in the B2 Info screen which is that if you are using WiFi then the Info screen will display 'WiFi MAC 71:F2:1E:28:66:C3' (for example)

BUT if you are using the wired Cat5 connection then the wired MAC address is NOT displayed and you will only see 'WiFi MAC' displayed.

There are a couple of ways of getting the wired MAC address, but this option is the easier one to try.

Log into your router as Admin and navigate to the IP address section.  Usually, if you look up the B2's IP address you should see the MAC address listed for that IP address.

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2021, 10:38:35 AM6/12/21
to Brennan Forum
NO NO Randy

Your Cable connection will have a different MAC address to the WiFi.
The best way to find it is to look on your Router (for me thus - I have hidden certain number for securitya.jpg:-)

Fred

J Rathbone

Jun 13, 2021, 1:39:07 PM6/13/21
to Brennan Forum

Reply to Rita!

Sorry, Rita, I’ve only just read your request for help on how to switch off 5Ghz setting on the BT Home Hub router
Here are the instructions:
  1. Open a new web browser
  2. Type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar - the Home page will display which devices are connected to 2.4 and 5Ghz
  3. Click Advanced Settings
  4. Enter the “Admin Password” (on the removable card at the back of the BT router) - NOT the wireless password/key!
  5. Click Continue to Advanced Settings
  6. Select Settings
  7. Select Wireless
  8. Click 5Ghz to display the 5 GHz Wireless Configuration page
  9. Change Wireless Network Enable to “No”
  10. Click Apply
Note there is a (new?) “Sync with 2.4 GHz“ Yes/No setting on the 5 GHz Wireless Configuration page which should be defaulted to “Yes” - if not that might be the cause of your problem

Good luck!
Jim

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jun 14, 2021, 8:56:00 AM6/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim

Thanks for the info.   I've had a BT engineer here this morning replacing some cabling and all seems well now.  I've kept your message in case I need to try switching off the 5Ghz setting.  Best wishes Rita

RandyT

Jun 14, 2021, 2:55:19 PM6/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Just a quick update. I finally pressed the right buttons in the right sequence and got my wireless router settings edited to the 192.168.x.x range of numbers. Nothing went haywire in the process. It was actually very easy once that sequence was figured out. I DID have to unplug the network cable and get the Wifi rolling on the B2 again to retrieve the MAC address. No biggie there.
So this is my first experience with the mobile app and it's fantastic!
I'll try to get a dedicated posting together with some screen shots for the Apple Airport users out there and something we can refer to in the future.
Thanks for all the help everyone!
Randy