"Tag Music" menu option?

Davywhizz

Mar 10, 2021, 10:51:27 AM3/10/21
to Brennan Forum
I've read in another post there is a new option in the B2 menu called "tag music" but it's "experimental". Does anyone know any more?

The reason I ask (whilst being very reluctant to play around with an experimental menu feature) is that I've recently linked my B2 as NAS to my Bluesound Node 2i streamer/DAC. It indexed my B2 FLAC files with what I'd say is about 99% accuracy apart from:

  • Four albums were not recognised at all but listed as "album 73"...etc and within that "track 1"...They all look fine on the B2 UI listings.
  • A few albums lost their album cover artwork. Again, it's present on the B2.  This may be a format/size issue.
  • I noticed some albums (haven't checked all 850 by any means) had the correct tracks and track numbers against each track BUT the numbered tracks were not in exactly the right order (for example a rogue track 7 might come at the end, after track 12 or whatever).
This was just an experiment. My B2 is usually connected to the streamer with an optical cable, so I'm just as happy to set the Node to "optical input" then use the B2 app or UI to control what plays. But I'm wondering why the indexing was flawed when everything looks perfect on the B2. There was no logic to the missing artwork: I saw some pictures I'd found on-line and added myself, which appeared without a problem on the BlueOS app (which controls the Node), whereas some covers disappeared from well known albums I know I ripped direct to the B2.

I'd be very reluctant to edit the library on the B2, it's more important to me that it looks right there, but if there's a tagging function that makes the B2 easier to read by other devices...I'd be most impressed.

hbu...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2021, 11:36:53 AM3/10/21
to Brennan Forum
The Sonos seems to need the album art as folder.jpg  which the B2 also accepts.
I changed many of mine to allow this.
Possibly not relevant if art is in metadata.

Brian R

Mar 10, 2021, 11:43:15 AM3/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davy
It's not really a new feature as it's been there for quite a long time. I've used it without any problems , it sorts out a lot of the issues that Sonos has in recognizing some albums on the B2.
The B2 is very tolerant when it comes to images, other devices such as Sonos are more picky and object to large sized Album Art , jpeg is always best.
I've seen some tracks shown in the wrong order, sometimes it's a rogue space causing the problem but some defy logic (or mine at least!) again the B2 played them all in the correct order.

Brian

Davywhizz

Mar 10, 2021, 1:43:16 PM3/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks both

So if I run "tag music" will it adjust how other devices see my B2 library, without making any visible changes on the B2?  I have two full backup HDDs of my B2 content just in case.

Brian R

Mar 10, 2021, 3:09:41 PM3/10/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davy

Yes . With one possible exception.
I have seen one instance where the Album Art in the 'Now Playing' pane on the B2 is different to the Art image in the 'Album' Pane, I think this is as a result of changing the Artwork, Imbedded tag art does not change so it would need re-tagging.
.
Brian