B2 - CD Artwork Image Size

Michael...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 17, 2022, 6:35:32 AM4/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Folks

I have ripped a large number of CDs (4.500+) and sometimes the onboard/online Database doesn't find the appropriate CD information re CD Title and Track information. I then go via the Internet to Discogs and in the vast majority of times it brings up the appropriate information including the CD's Artwork .jpeg file which I just copy across and upload to the B2.

However when I use the Web UI interface to play CDs sometimes you can see the row of "buttons" which includes play, stop, skip track etc and on other images/CDs you cannot. I assume this is something to do with the Artwork image's file size?

If so, is there a simple (non techie) way of reducing all of these files (probably thousands).

Or could the B2's software be updated (sometime) to re-configure the image size on a "over night" sort of exercise?

I live in HOPE.

Have a nice Easter.

Michael

Peter Lowham

Apr 17, 2022, 7:20:45 AM4/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,

One way to recover the buttons is to 'zoom' down the WebUI screen.  I zoom down to something like 80% and the buttons can then be seen on the screen.

I use <Control>  -    (Control and minus) which zooms the WebUI screen down in stages.   <Control>+   (Control and plus) zooms back up.

Regards,
Peter.

JFBUK

Apr 17, 2022, 8:05:35 AM4/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,

I don't think this is related to the size of the art work file.
More likely is that the web page components are not resizing as they should and are displaying over each other
Do you get the same issue with different web browsers ?
As Peter suggests try resizing or refreshing the webpage.

John

Michael...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 19, 2022, 3:54:35 AM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Thanks for your suggestions and I will try them. One point of observation though, when playing a "play list" started via the Web UI as differing CDs are selected and a track is played the degree to which you can see the row of buttons (stop, skip etc) changes from more to less and back again as you progress through the list of CDs. This is why I thought the CD artwork image jpeg size was influencing something. Michael

fred.w....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2022, 4:32:23 AM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Not sure if it helps but I think that 500 by 500 pixels is the "normal" size.

Fred

Daniel Taylor

Apr 19, 2022, 10:36:22 AM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,
You seem to have encountered a good test situation.  Pick out one of the coverart pics that most obscures the controls and swap it with a downsized version to see what difference it might make.  I use pixlr.com to change the size of pics.  An easy way to access those picture files is to set the B2's HDD as a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive and use it with your computer as you would any attaced drive.

JFBUK

Apr 19, 2022, 10:58:56 AM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,
I have thought about this some more and whilst I still think the issue is with the coding for the web page if the cover art varies in size then if resizing of the web page components
is not working 100% then a change in cover art size will trigger this behaviour. Similarly very long artist, album, and track names could also cause issues.
I tested this by editing an artist, album, and track name  of a track in the web UI but not the cover art
Screenshot 2022-04-19 155031.jpgScreenshot 2022-04-19 155418.jpg
The result was the control buttons are not fully displayed
It should not matter what size the stored image is, the web page code should adjust the picture display size to fit the available display space.
John

Daniel Taylor

Apr 19, 2022, 2:32:58 PM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hey, John.  Very impressive.  I see that the extra long names required additional lines to display it all, which then pushed the control buttons down, while also making the art pic shrink.    There must be a maximum width - or number of characters - in a name before it wraps around to a new line.

Peter Lowham

Apr 19, 2022, 3:51:12 PM4/19/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

If I view this in Google Chrome I have the disappearing buttons problem.  However, if I view it in MS Edge, I don't have the problem; everything proportions down correctly.

So there is, at least, some dependency on which browser is in use.

Regards,
Peter.

Michael...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 21, 2022, 4:33:25 AM4/21/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Folks

I have been doing a bit more probing and are now beginning to believe this problem is to do with the number of characters in both the album title field and more importantly the track fields. I have always put the name of the artist(s) at the beginning of the track field box together with the song title. Just recently I have been loading my Classic FM CD collection into the B2. This has caused me to put more information into both fields as orchestra, soloists etc etc are important. As there is no character counting going on as you enter the information into these fields I have on occasions "overload" the field with the result that the whole field goes blank and with the track fields any other fields below the overloaded track fields go blank as well. To over come this problem I have had to delete the CD and start the ripping cycle again. It's not a problem but I subconsciously count the characters in my head as I enter them now to try to prevent this.  Just part of the joys of being a Brennan owner and proud of it!

Have fun!

Michael

Daniel Taylor

Apr 21, 2022, 6:45:59 AM4/21/22
to Brennan Forum
There is actually a limit of 170 characters for the names of Artists or Albums or track names.  Unexpected bad things happen when that limit is exceeded.

PMB

Apr 22, 2022, 4:56:49 AM4/22/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Michael,